Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I totally love my 30.06 Savage. Shoots great, fantastic trigger, Very large selection of ammo 110gr to 220gr. walnut stock what a great working mans gun.

Bad thing is no iron sights on it so your scope better be set up for all situations.
BB

·
Registered
215 Posts
i ould have to say my Rem 700 that shoot the fast flat round of 7mm-08 with the 140 gr great nock power for white tail it shoots tight groups and has a floatin barrel witch i thing is sweet oh yea and a nikon scope can't forget that

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I agree. Savage 30-06. I have 2 of 'em. Shoot 220gr. hollow points and never more than 100yds. I've NEVER had to track a deer. They drop where I hit 'em.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ruger Deerfield Carbine,semi-auto, .44 Magnum. Short, Light and It will cloverleaf 260 grain hollowpoints at 75yds with a simmons whitetail expedition 1.25x6 scope. Man that .44 puts-em down hard too.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
savage lever-action .308 light, yet powerful

·
Registered
303 Posts
.35 lightweight, great bush gun and decent open range. drop em at 100 yard no problem.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Didn't see this post until after responding in the other used guns post with a side debate of calibers.

You know my vote!

Browning A-Bolt 300 wingmag w/BOSS system with Leupold VariXII in 4-12x. 180gr Core Lokt remingtons.

Why?
Flatest shooting out of the common calibers. Most down range energy of most common calibers. Its like AT&T or MCI, you could reach out and touch someone - long distance.

Also, the main reason, the BOSS system. I firmly believe it works as advertised. If you have not seen or know how the BOSS system works, it truly is an engineering marvel. I was skeptical at first. My uncle and father both didn't believe it would work the way it was said to. My uncle is a die-hard reloader and said the only way to acheive superior accuracy is with custom gun smithing and re-loading. Well, he now owns his own BOSS Browning.

I cant cut and paste from the Browning website at work because they dont want us to have access to weapons websites. Oh well. policy is policy.

However, when I first got the rifle, I put 5 rounds through it at 50yrds and it shot a 4" group...yes 4". I read the instructions about setting the boss system and then began dialing it in. 3 boxes later, the group first shrunk to 1"@50yds, then moved to 100yrds and 5/8". I was truly impressed that turning that little counter weight BOSS system actually did that. It was the first product I had ever bought that exceeded my expectations. I know other manufacturers have acheived similar results (weatherby, savage, ruger just to name a couple) through floating barrels and manufacturing advances, but you still had to match ammo to the rifle and find what shot best. Then you were stuck with that ammo at that price. I grabbed what I wanted to shoot at the price I wanted and made the rifle fit the ammo. The science behind it is legitimate.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Remington .270. Flat shooting gun that you can hunt with in Michigan or out West for Elk or Antelope. Dead on for 200 yards out to 400 yds. 3 x9 leupold scope. Bolt action.

Love it. have killed both deer and elk with it!!!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I love my Tika 30-06 that my wife won for me in a raffle, or the .243 that she won the next month for me too, have I mentioned lately I really love her. I also don't have a bad thing to say about the Winchester 94 in 30-30. They all have been good to me, with the .243 being a bit of a let down though (long story, let's just say I just won't use it again for deer)

Pretty much all the calibers/gauges out there are perfect for certain conditions, you just need to match them for your situation. If you made me pick one, it would be the 30-06 shooting 220 grain Core-Lokt bullets. I am a believer that speed kills, but mass destroys. I like to send as big of a projectile as I can at the game I'm persuing.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Browning A-Bolt medallion 7mm Mag. Leupold Vari-X II 3x9x40mm. Answer products muzzle break and some trigger work. I haven't had a deer go more than 20 yds from where I took the shot. 8-8 in the last 9 yrs between 80-140yds. Beautiful gun and with the break, it kicks less than a 20ga., but you better have your muffs on when your around me when I shoot it. I was at Bald Mountain 3 or 4 yrs ago after I had the break put on and I had a dude 2 stalls down jump out of his stall checking himself for bullet holes white as a ghost. The noise and the percussion he thought I shot him lol. I had a small herd around me after 2 shots seeing what the hell I was shooting. That break really kills the recoil but it is LOUD and shoots a flame in about a 3 foot circle from the muzzle shooting 150 gr. core lokt. I was shooting supreme when I was young and stupid but then realized i'm only shooting 100yds most of the time and the cheap remington ammo grouped decent enough to kill a deer.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Remington 700 .270 Winchester 130 gr. Silver tips. It's accurate
Marlin 1894 .44 mag. 240 gr. XHP's. So much fun to play with.
T/C .50 Sabot .44 275 gr. Took a 10 point Iowa buck 221/2 inside spread

Just depends on what I feel like shooting on any given day.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
.300 Savage. One shot drop up to 125 yards with scope. Father left it to me when he passed I was the only son to get a deer with it on opening day when I was 14. Not only one though dropped an eight point at 115 yards and after I field dressed him and was getting ready to load him onto the cart a doe walked out of the edge of the woods at about 50 yards and dropped her in her tracks. Filled my buck tag and my doe permit in the same day. Would have gotten another license and went back out hunting but my mom didn't drive so I couldn't My dad came back with my three brothers from hunting some other property and asked how I did. I said I got one. And he asked "what a little four point and my mom couldn't even let me tell them she screams out from the living room "no he got two and the buck isn't no little four point unless you divide his rack in two." And then she says "and he was back here before lunch." I was never allowed to hunt with the gun again while the old man was around it was back to my single shot 12 gauge after that. Haven't even hunted with it since. To many good memories of me and the old man when I was 8 till 14 going out in the woods after school and sitting with him and shooting bucks. Can't tell you grains heck I can't even give you pros or cons. All I know is when I was 14 it felt like it kicked like a mule and the buck and the doe dropped dead in there tracks and it put a hole the size of my pinky in the side where the bullet went in and took half the shoulder on the other side out. So I would imagine they were hollow points but not sure. that was all the way back in 1988. But it is a beautiful gun that will never be brought down here until I have a gun safe to put it in. Right now I have a glass cabinet for my guns and I have too many memories of that gun to let some vagrant piece of crap break in my house and steal it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 10 2009, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.300 Savage. One shot drop up to 125 yards with scope. Father left it to me when he passed I was the only son to get a deer with it on opening day when I was 14. Not only one though dropped an eight point at 115 yards and after I field dressed him and was getting ready to load him onto the cart a doe walked out of the edge of the woods at about 50 yards and dropped her in her tracks. Filled my buck tag and my doe permit in the same day. Would have gotten another license and went back out hunting but my mom didn't drive so I couldn't My dad came back with my three brothers from hunting some other property and asked how I did. I said I got one. And he asked "what a little four point and my mom couldn't even let me tell them she screams out from the living room "no he got two and the buck isn't no little four point unless you divide his rack in two." And then she says "and he was back here before lunch." I was never allowed to hunt with the gun again while the old man was around it was back to my single shot 12 gauge after that. Haven't even hunted with it since. To many good memories of me and the old man when I was 8 till 14 going out in the woods after school and sitting with him and shooting bucks. Can't tell you grains heck I can't even give you pros or cons. All I know is when I was 14 it felt like it kicked like a mule and the buck and the doe dropped dead in there tracks and it put a hole the size of my pinky in the side where the bullet went in and took half the shoulder on the other side out. So I would imagine they were hollow points but not sure. that was all the way back in 1988. But it is a beautiful gun that will never be brought down here until I have a gun safe to put it in. Right now I have a glass cabinet for my guns and I have too many memories of that gun to let some vagrant piece of crap break in my house and steal it.

With all the opinions on favorite guns listed Yours is the most honest sounding one yet.
Sometimes the gun picks you.
Thanks
BB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.