Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outboard Motor options
If you were to repower with a new 2 stroke outboard, what brand would you get?
Evinrude1927.14%
Yamaha1217.14%
Mercury3752.86%
Honda11.43%
Other11.43%
If you were to repower with a new 4 stroke outboard, what brand would you get?
Evinrude1217.14%
Yamaha2130.00%
Mercury3042.86%
Honda45.71%
Other34.29%
Would you get a new 2 stroke or a new 4 stroke?
2-stroke4158.57%
4-stroke2941.43%

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
4 strokes are great, but too many horror stories about oiling system causing problems. I'll stick with the 2 strokes for now

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I've heard from some outboard mechanics that the new Evinrude E-Tec motors are head and shoulders above the rest of the new models in performance and ease of maintenance. Anybody here have any first-hand experience with 'em?

·
Vendor
797 Posts
By the way. For me it's Mercury. That being said I think all of the outboard manufacturers make good motors. Getting a lemon is possible with all makes and models. They all have pluses and minuses you just have to choose what's right for you and the way you plan to use it.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Me personally I'll never leave mercury. I have had johnson, chrysler, and mercury all older motors but my mercury seem to have been the easiest to fix when they did break. My neighbor is a retired outboard mechanic and he told me in his opinion that mercs are the best cause they run for years before needing repairs BUT when they do break it costs some money to fix them.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(patman24 @ Jul 20 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Forget the foriegn made garbage, I'd stick with Mercury.
Amen to that.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(patman24 @ Jul 20 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Forget the foriegn made garbage, I'd stick with Mercury.

when mercury first came out with the 225 verado they were getting the motors from yamaha they now build their own. but im sure thats not the first motor to be shared.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Yamaha four stroke all the way.

What size are you looking at? What are your priorities? Speed, weight and top end; go two stroke. Fuel economy, ease of operation and quiet operation, go four stroke. For me when I repowered two months ago, four stroke was my choice and I could not be any happier. It's actually faster than my two stroke was and absolutely spanks it on fuel economy. Plus, I'm not pouring 2M in it at $30 a gallon.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Interesting results. I kind of thought Merc would be on top and I find it interesting that the 2 and 4 strokes are even. Odd that there have been 137 looks and 24 votes though....must be alot of I/O's out there.

I'm going to repower the 20' Alaskan. The DNR has the same boat as me but they've got a 115hp on it. Not sure of the brand I want to say its a Honda (silver hood?). I'm tired of being stuck doing 20mph when I want more speed to get to the mile roads or the light. I'm also not sure 2 or 4 stroke. There are positives and negatives with each.

I also would like a 225hp for the Starcraft if I keep it.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The etec is Top in acceleration, but is the worst in fuel economy and top speed. Yami hpdi and Mercury Optimax are pretty much neck and neck in all categories, with mercury having a slight advantage. There are alot of head to head comparrisons out there to show you what motor best fits your needs! I love my two stroke, although last time i bought DFI oil to fill my tank i spent $37 a gallon, times 3 gallons... As for ETECs claim to having a maintence free motor, we live in michigan, i consider winterizing maintence!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
There are only two types of outboards. Those that have blown up and those that will blow up.

Most of it depends on the owner, how it is used and break in.

All three manufacturers you list make good products, but as with all manufacturing all make a few lemons.

Get the one that you feel you are getting the best deal on, can get the best service on and will not break the bank to run.

With all that said, North Bay Marine is THE best service center on the lake for Mercury Outboards, Inboards and I/O's. The dealer and service should be one of the first things you look at when buying a motor. Because they ALL will blow up eventually.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jul 21 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are only two types of outboards. Those that have blown up and those that will blow up.

Most of it depends on the owner, how it is used and break in.

All three manufacturers you list make good products, but as with all manufacturing all make a few lemons.

Get the one that you feel you are getting the best deal on, can get the best service on and will not break the bank to run.

With all that said, North Bay Marine is THE best service center on the lake for Mercury Outboards, Inboards and I/O's. The dealer and service should be one of the first things you look at when buying a motor. Because they ALL will blow up eventually.

If noone listens to anything, they should listen to this

·
Registered
6,969 Posts

My 2006 Mercury was Made in Japan.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(patman24 @ Jul 21 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zib @ Jul 21 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(patman24 @ Jul 20 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Forget the foriegn made garbage, I'd stick with Mercury.

My 2006 Mercury was Made in Japan.

The company is still American owned, so the money stays in America eventually.

My dad got laid off from the auto industry. I am a little bitter the Asian Big 4.

buy american is a great principle but when american companies buy foreign goods assemble them and call it american theyre also part of the problem. our government also does it with our tax dollars buying foreign goods.thank your grand parents who created the market\demand for foreign goods they actually had a choice but chose to save a buck rather then buy american made and support american jobs. now is virtually impossible to live with all american made items. even if a american company most likely using something supplied by a foreign company. i work for mopar and the only made in usa things i see is molded plastic anymore im sure ford and gm is the same way seeing some parts they share to save money instead of all 3 making smaller purchases.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts