Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
I took Gauge to the trap range. He sat in the car with Dawn. He was 8 weeks old. LOL. Don't be afraid to do things around the house too Jon. Pots and pans, vacuuming, running water....etc. Everything helps. I was renovating my house when we got the Boo. He slept on my lap while I ran the circular saw. LOL

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Sep 25 2009, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So to gilbert's we go?
Peeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect
Another good thing to do is take him to the range. Start a ways away from the shooting and draw his attention to you. Play with him for 5 minutes at a time. Just work your way closer to the shooting. He will associated the noise as fun time with you. (AKA HUNTING EXCITEMENT).

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
The second day I had Grizz, he was at the range with me. for the first week, he stayed in the car, then the next week, he was in the shogun house, then when I realized there was no problems (2-3 days), he was outside leashed to the funce next to us. And don't be affraid to make noise at the house. I found that if you feed him, and make alot of noise (pots and pans, or put dishes away), you are accomplishing 2 things. He is getting nurishment from you, and make sure it is only you feedeing him (he needs to know that there is only one (1) boss), and he is taking the good experience from eating to associating it with noise. So in essence, noise is good, because food is good.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(Grapes @ Sep 25 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>He is getting nurishment from you, and make sure it is only you feedeing him (he needs to know that there is only one (1) boss), and he is taking the good experience from eating to associating it with noise. So in essence, noise is good, because food is good.
NOM NOM NOM......

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Sep 25 2009, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So to gilbert's we go?
I was just about to suggest that! bring him out and let him sit on the front porch with you. after a while, walk him to the road and play with him. as far as getting him right to the firing line next to the shooters, don't rush it. it may take a couple more visits. with tucker, I was lucky. the first day, he was sitting next to station #1 like he was part of the squad

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(Top Gun @ Sep 25 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Sep 25 2009, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So to gilbert's we go?
I was just about to suggest that! bring him out and let him sit on the front porch with you. after a while, walk him to the road and play with him. as far as getting him right to the firing line next to the shooters, don't rush it. it may take a couple more visits. with tucker, I was lucky. the first day, he was sitting next to station #1 like he was part of the squad

Tucks a good boy....except for his gayness.
He has an issue with humping my Boo. LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
QUOTE(makowish @ Sep 25 2009, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Top Gun @ Sep 25 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Sep 25 2009, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So to gilbert's we go?

Tucks a good boy....except for his gayness.
He has an issue with humping my Boo. LOL!!!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Take him to a range and just stay in the car, don't play with him whatsoever, maybe a treat. after 10 minutes put the windows down, see how he reacts. Take him outside, etc...short time no more than maybe 10 minutes each of he does ok. Short attention span. Next time make it all outside and stay longer, get closer, I would ease him into it. Try to do some very short training stints with the noise too. Shotguns and traing go together. Nothing worse than a gun shy hunting dog. Sorry had to edit, You don't want to associate play time with BOOM BOOM BOOM. Hunting is all business and seriousness. Take him somewhere to play after the training and serious stuff. work then reward. Youll have him "learned" in no time.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Wow, I would not recommend taking him to the gun range.

Your pup is 8 weeks old right? You should be working on potty training, socializing with other people (limit contact with other dogs until you are finished with your shots as he could contract Parvo), and having FUN.

I would wait until he is about 12-14 weeks old. Get him playing outside and let him run around. While he is running around and having a good time and is a good distance away from you (50 yards), fire ONE time a .22 blank pistol and act like nothing happened. Totally ignore that you fired a gun no matter what his reaction. If he cowers and looks scared, you'll need to let him get further away next time and continue working on loud things in the house preferably while he is eating his food. I liked to bang on Greta's food pan before I put the food in it for her to eat. When the dog is 4-6 months old and is out in the field with you, at that point if he has responded well to the .22 blanks, you could fire a 20 guage shotgun once and see how that goes.

If you like, I can go with you to Wetzel or somewhere close where we can work with him and use my blank pistol if you do not have one.

My advise is much more conservative that the responses so far, but if you push a young dog too far with gun noise, it can be a long and difficult road to cure gun-shyness.

My two coppers.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Sep 25 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would wait until he is about 12-14 weeks old.

My advise is much more conservative that the responses so far, but if you push a young dog too far with gun noise, it can be a long and difficult road to cure gun-shyness.

I agree. don't rush it. tucker was 12 weeks old when I took him out to gilbert's. while he was running around and playing, he got closer to the gun fire than I wanted. but it didn't bother him a bit so I was lucky.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(little guy @ Sep 25 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow, I would not recommend taking him to the gun range.

Your pup is 8 weeks old right? You should be working on potty training, socializing with other people (limit contact with other dogs until you are finished with your shots as he could contract Parvo), and having FUN.

I would wait until he is about 12-14 weeks old. Get him playing outside and let him run around. While he is running around and having a good time and is a good distance away from you (50 yards), fire ONE time a .22 blank pistol and act like nothing happened. Totally ignore that you fired a gun no matter what his reaction. If he cowers and looks scared, you'll need to let him get further away next time and continue working on loud things in the house preferably while he is eating his food. I liked to bang on Greta's food pan before I put the food in it for her to eat. When the dog is 4-6 months old and is out in the field with you, at that point if he has responded well to the .22 blanks, you could fire a 20 guage shotgun once and see how that goes.

If you like, I can go with you to Wetzel or somewhere close where we can work with him and use my blank pistol if you do not have one.

My two coppers.

That's an awesome offer. I hope to take you up on that. he'll be about 7-8 months old by the time spring hits, so hopefully it's just the right time.

Thanks again for the tips guys. Another question tho...

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I had Grizz flushing and retrieving pheasants on his 5 month birthday. All it takes is persistance on your part, and to realize when he has had enough for that lesson. Make it fun, and they will look forward to it each time. Go to the Library and look up Richard Wooter's books. Gundon, Waterdog or Birddog. Pick which one you want, and go with it.

What worked for me, might not work for you. I was just very lucky.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(Grapes @ Sep 25 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had Grizz flushing and retrieving pheasants on his 5 month birthday. All it takes is persistance on your part, and to realize when he has had enough for that lesson. Make it fun, and they will look forward to it each time. Go to the Library and look up Richard Wooter's books. Gundon, Waterdog or Birddog. Pick which one you want, and go with it.

What worked for me, might not work for you. I was just very lucky.

Takes more than luck. You surely did more than a few things right! "Fun" is the key word for sure.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Sep 25 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(little guy @ Sep 25 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow, I would not recommend taking him to the gun range.

My two coppers.

That's an awesome offer. I hope to take you up on that. he'll be about 7-8 months old by the time spring hits, so hopefully it's just the right time.

Thanks again for the tips guys. Another question tho...

We can take him over there this fall and do the blank pistol. I'd be more than happy. The spring time though is usually off limits for bird training as that is nesting time for game birds and other wildlife. We'll figure something out.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Sep 25 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When should I introduce Mopar to water?

I'd take him in a few weeks when he is getting stronger but before the water gets too cold. Remember to never push him in. Let him explore. Make it fun. Wear some hip boots and get in yourself and encourage him playfully to come out and join you. Throw a stick and clap your hands and see if he'll do it on his own. It will likely take a few sessions. You may have to wait until spring. It took my dog a while. She'd go out to her chest and turn around. Now at age 2 I can't keep her out of the water - she swims like an otter.

Just have fun. The dog (God willing) should live 10-12 years. Don't make a mistake now and rush anything. The dog will tell you what he can do if you let him!
Man I love puppies!!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I agree with LittleGuy (I'm no expert, I did raise a sweet Brittany that I had for 14 years and she was a good bird dog) - certainly some pups have no problem with loud noises/guns/water from the get-go, but others are more "sensitive" - the trainer I worked with recommended introducing the "gun" AFTER we had been training on hunting (quartering, scenting, pointing, seeing the flush) for a few weeks, although we did make noises and clap when the birds would flush but that's not a gun. Even a starter or cap pistol can startle a dog and do damage to it's nerves that may be very difficult to overcome. The noises when they eat or if they're playing are a good idea too, just so that they aren't jumpy, but don't TRY to startle them, just make noises.

As far as water, Mopar's a lab
I've never had one, but I think they would swim if they were born in the water! lol I think sooner is better before the water gets too cold, but as LG said make it fun and go in with him.

Have fun - and POST MORE PICTURES!

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Sep 25 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When should I introduce Mopar to water?

Bronco was in the water around 8-9 weeks old, can't keep hiom out of water now(including the bathtub).
Mopar being a lab, get him in while the water is still somewhat warm, go in with him and bring a toy he likes that floats, to get him used to retrieving things in the water.
Getting him used to a bathtub isn't a bad idea either. Bronco was bath trained before he came home at 7 weeks and loves the bathtub, empty or full.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Mammal Sled dog

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.