Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first season and I was wondering what week most people start putting there boats in the water?

·
Registered
120 Posts
April 15th is the day water and power get turned on at my slip and I try to get it in as close to then as possible. Payoff comes if we have an unusually mild Spring.

·
Registered
896 Posts
When it's ready to go in. the weather pretty much dictates when that happens. How much work do you have to do to prepare it? How long will that take and do you have the time with other obligations? Is the wife more concerned that you rototill the garden? Honestly, in almost 35 years of boating, I've been in as early as mid April (Easter Sunday '87, 85 degrees and sunny, one of the best seasons ever!) or as late as first week in June (1990, rained almost every weekend for the entire summer). Lots of variables. My advice, start working on it as soon as possible, that way if we get nice spring days, you're ready. Have a great season!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Good topic...this is our first time putting the boat back into the water. Is there any de-winterizing that needs to be done?

With our 19 ft, it was always in a heated garage, so we never had to winterize it.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

G

·
Last year I put in the first weekend in May. I'll try for the first or second weekend again!

As far as de-winterizing? I change my oil every year in the spring. Definatly start it up at least once in your drive way or at your marina grounds first. You don't want that imbaressing feeling at the dock when people are waiting behind you and your motor won't start!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I'm hoping around the 5 or 6th of April as its my only weeked off in April. The countdown in the signature reflects the date of 4/5/03.

Our boat is on land right now at McMachen. When the time comes, I will have them de-winterize it; take out the red pop, hook up the water heater, ready the head, new oil in the stern drives, touch up the bottom paint where the skids were from last years painting (before we bought her), connect the battery's and get her in the water. I'll get a good coat of hull wax on her just before she gets wet. Once in, I will run her over to HCN (home for the summer) and change plugs, wires, cap, rotar, fule filters and water seperater's and engine oil.

I believe after this, and a good interior cleaning/polishing and a carpet scrub and wash, along with some wood work and restocking, we should be about ready for the season.

This too is our first time putting the new boat in as we had a 19' trailerable until we bought this one in mid Sept. Have a lot to do on her, but not knowing when the previous owner did anything to her, want to start clean and fresh. Is there anything I am forgetting or overlooking?

G

·
You mean those $11500.00 dollar motors? Ha HA

If you can't find someone to go for a ride when you break them in? Let me know!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor253 @ Feb 11 2003, 02:37 PM)Last year I put in the first weekend in May. I'll try for the first or second weekend again!

As far as de-winterizing? I change my oil every year in the spring. Definatly start it up at least once in your drive way or at your marina grounds first. You don't want that imbaressing feeling at the dock when people are waiting behind you and your motor won't start!
Another good reason to start it up on the trailer using the muffs, is that you want to make sure that you water pump is healthy. Better to check it on the trailer, than to over heat at the launch.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The earliest my boat went in the water was the first year I bought it. It just came out of winter storage (end of March) so I could test drive it. Everything check out great and then drove it to Beacon cove. Now I get it in sometime in April.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Mid April. I remember one year dodging ice packs (first new boat). This weather is dragging on and on and on. Can't come soon enough for me.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
I'll be in the first week of May.

I'm not looking forward to the bottom paint.......

·
Registered
353 Posts
April 18th! Start working on her this weekend!!!!! Already cleaned the carpet, just want to get her waxed and polished, replace some hardware and sit on her with a beverage!! Actually, need to do some touch-up on the bottom paint too.

Pyrate Jim - do you do all the engine stuff every year or are you just insuring you know the score the first year you have her? I clean my strainers, but have not replaced the fuel filters, or the plug wires, etc .......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts