Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When does fishing season start for Walleye, Muskie and Bass on Lake St. Clair from the Canada Side?

Or can you tell me where to look? I have done numerous Google searches with no results.

Thanks for your time

Steiner

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Bass June 26th, Musky June 5th, walleye is open all year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, So that means during out of season dates you can still fish for that species but you can't keep the fish. Is that right

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
No you can't. The regs say that you cannot intentionally target a species which is out of season.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Oh, oh. Here we go. LOL

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I thought the same thing and I didnt respond.....lol

I will say it once....

Leave em alone to do their thing until it is legal to......

Afterall you wouldnt want a buch of fish showing up disturbing you while you did your thing in your bed would you? Heck knowing half of you folks you probably would

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I saw a fellow a few years ago "Walleye" fishing with Bass baits. It wasn't to bad $4650.00 plus $387.00Court Fees and no hunting or fishing liscence for 4 years and they also took his tackle and boat but it was a rental so the owner got the boat back. So Good fishing

·
Registered
188 Posts
Muskiebob, what exactly happened in this scenario you mentioned? Was this guy actually bass fishing during the closed season and when he got caught he claimed that he was walleye fishing?

·
Registered
882 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jan 31 2004, 06:19 PM)
I saw a fellow a few years ago "Walleye" fishing with Bass baits. It wasn't to bad $4650.00 plus $387.00Court Fees and no hunting or fishing liscence for 4 years and they also took his tackle and boat but it was a rental so the owner got the boat back. So Good fishing

In order for this to happen, he must of had Bass in his possession. Please release all fish caught out of season.
I catch alot of bass while walleye fishing. No you can not get in trouble for bass hitting your baits while fishing for another species, but yes you can get in trouble for having illegal fish in your possession.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The law reads;

"Take or attempt to take fish outside of the open season for that species."

So in order to get in trouble you would have to have taken the species. If you have a walleye or two in your box it would be hard for someone (wayne the warden) to say you were targeting an out of season species.
A good attorney would have a field day with this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It almost seems worth all that trouble? At least there is about 100 boats at the mile rds at the end of may that think so. Just so everyone knows, I am NOT one of those 100.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Mad Wags You want to bet on it???

·
Registered
790 Posts
Folks know which species they are fishing for whether or not they have good lawyers available to them. It seems to me that this is a moral issue as much as anything else. The ichthyologists and biologists on the MDNR have done there best to set rules that will ensure fishing for all species in the future. Following the rules is the correct and proper thing to do. We may not agree with many of the rules that have been put in place by the MDNR but there are avenues to effect change. It is my opinion that the best policy is to follow the rules as intended. Don’t fool yourself or the COs. I sure hope that the future generations of my family have the same great opportunities that I have enjoyed.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Rather than repost the 1/2 million words I've already posted on this, I'm going to get my butt back in gear and make this a moot issue. See you on the lake fishing for whatever is biting with lures that catch every kind of gamefish.

When a bass bites before opening day, I chew it out but good and throw it back. I will have to make more trips to Hardy Dam though. Despite 15 YEARS of legal catch and release fishing with LOTS of pressure, we had a wonderful day of smallmouth fishing this past spring on my first trip. I have to go back. Big fun. And not one person treated me like a scummy law breaker just because I happen to own a bass boat.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I have just as much of a problem with my fish as the Bass Guy's and Girl's. The Pike season is open all year as well as Walleye and I have Client's that want these fish and everybody hassels me because there is no way to keep the Muskie off the baits. I don't want to hurt any fish Except smaller Wallye and Gill's, Perch and such. Those I like to eat. It's to bad Mother Nature didn't make all spieces of fish spawn at the same time. Wouldn't that be lovely. I just try not to use the typical Muskie baits in Muskie size while fishing before the Muskie season. When I see a Muskie coming after the bait before season. I stop the bait and this usually turn's the fish off. No always but most of the time. I more than likely catch as many Bass as anyone else out there but I rarely target them but just like the Muskie the Bass will hit almost anything you throw. Remember when the regular season opened on the 15th of May for all fish except Bass?? Now with almost everything open all year it is hard not to hurt some spieces. The fellow I mentioned that was fined so heavy was using Spot Tail Minnows in prime Bass water and he was watched for several hours. and when he came to shore he had at least 20 Bass in his boat. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I have been fishing out here forever and I have seen things that are hard to believe but they happen. Come on over to Gibraltal on North river road on one of the days I will be there Feb. 20-21-22. Bob

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Once I caught an out of season coelacanth off the coast of Madagascar. Had to let it go.

·
Registered
882 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Feb 1 2004, 01:40 AM)and when he came to shore he had at least 20 Bass in his boat.
Now isn't that what I said?

Folks, I fish for walleye as well as bass. In the spring when I am targeting walleye, I catch bass. Shame on me, but I can't keep the damn things from biting whatever I throw or pull.
Hey maybe if I put a sign on my bait!

You know Dan, if you switch to a multi species hull you won't get treated so bad, they assume you might be a walleye fisherman.

Like I said. Please release any fish you catch that is not in season and eat the ones that are.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts