Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has been getting perch anywhere on LSC? Everyone is tight lipped about their spots if they are getting fish. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Uncle Al,

The most consistent place that I have been this year is out of the Selfridge Launch... Haven't been skunked yet this year... Most people are within a 1/4 - 1/2 mile off the shore and not getting much... I go out a bit deeper - probably about 3/4 to 1 mile off shore.... Ice is plenty safe and a lot fewer people out in the area.... make sure you are in 5 or 6 foot of water.....

Most productve spot I have fished is about 3/4 miles off shore half way between the launch and the barracks... Anywhere in that area should be fine... Be patient cause the schools come through every 30 minutes or so....

Using mainly wigglers and wax worms.... Jig the wax worms on a tear drop or slightly bigger jig (mostly yellow,orange, and black striped) I usually put two waxies on the jig.... gives a bit better action.....

Also, if they are really finicky, try hooking the wiggler different. Most people hook them right under the head... I usually tail hook them (you have to use a really small tear drop to do this.... Hook it at the very end of the tail, and they will wiggle like hell.... great action!

Good luck... Hope your bucket is heavier on the way in!

P.S. If the schools aren't coming through, I usually move left or right 200 or 300 yards....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, may give it a try in the am. I heard also that staying away from the large crowds will also better your odds. Thanks again and good luck.><> AL

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Angler, the area youare talking about, and the "safe ice", is it safe for fishing or can you drive out there as well? Looking it give it a try for the first time next week tuesday or wednesday and the only place I know of, for driving out, is in front of what used to be Bud's near Fair Haven.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
My brother went out today and drove his little pick up truck he said that there was quite a few cars out there ice is about 18 inches, catching about 6 perch every half hour when the schools come by, nice sizes though a couple of 12-13 inchers on minnows. Good luck!

ooooohhh yea today is saturday the 8 th

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
FshnRob, where did he get on the ice at? I have a F-150 and can either drive out or, wind/weather permitting, walk out with my son, he's 7 and just getting into it (actually we both are).

We are looking at going out again tuesday afternoon arund 4pm and I sure would like to see him bring something up.

Minnows you say verses wigglers or wax's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
pyratejim, I didn,t get a chance to get out fishing saturday, had to work on my truck wich is a f-150 ,but I did drive out at the boat launch at selfridge this morning. I was fishing with mousies and minnows the bigger perch seemed to like the liveley minnows alot more than the mousies, but the minnows have to be very active or the little perch will just nip at them till they are dead,I use an airaetor to keep them liveley.

GOOD LUCK !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just back from metro Beach back basin and ended up with 25 perch from 7 to 10". Fished the west side of the island using minnows and white tear drops. Fished last Thursday there and caught 35 in the same size.
Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds good, I try to hit metro every couple of days to see if they are on or off ,but the sun is out today probably a good day to be out there , I did see a lot of cars at masonic today did anybody hear anthing ?

I got to go just a few hours of daylight left , let yall know how I did !

·
Registered
120 Posts
I fished off selfridge today from about 10 till 3 and ended up with about 20 keepers but I caught a lot more than that. I saw fish all day long. I was using waxi's, wigglers, and minnows. When one slowed down I switched and it seemed to work pretty good.

Good Luck! Go Get Em!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just got back about an hour ago ,tried fishing at eleven mile,caught about 18 perch only 5 keepers gave them to a young kid out there.
Caught most of them on minnows and a couple on wax worms, alot of small ones.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There was a lot of little ones at selfridge too but if you waited long enough there were plenty of jumbos comin in and all of them seemed to be hungry. The biggest ones seemed to be less finicky than the small ones

1 - 12 of 12 Posts