Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(chill_shark @ Dec 27 2009, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks, I found a Poor Man's marina on my charts up off the North Channel but I guessed that wasn't it. It is pretty nice in front of Mac Ray, sandy bottom, etc.

Many people do not know about Poor Man's Yacht Club. It is located within the Baltimore Hy. north of the Sni Bora. Sometimes when talking with others on the lake you have to specify what "poor man's" you are talking about.

The Poor man's you speak of (like stated by others above) is in front of MacRay's/Belle Maer Harbor. Reason for the name as it's said, it cost's so much to keep your boat at either of the two marina's, you cannot afford the fuel to venture out on the lake. So you just motor out front to anchor your boat. True story for a few boaters I know.

Hope you make it to poor man's this summer. Great spot. Especially for the 4th of July fireworks. Awesome. We usually stay anchored for the night after the show.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Dec 29 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(chill_shark @ Dec 27 2009, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks, I found a Poor Man's marina on my charts up off the North Channel but I guessed that wasn't it. It is pretty nice in front of Mac Ray, sandy bottom, etc.

Many people do not know about Poor Man's Yacht Club. It is located within the Baltimore Hy. north of the Sni Bora. Sometimes when talking with others on the lake you have to specify what "poor man's" you are talking about.

The Poor man's you speak of (like stated by others above) is in front of MacRay's/Belle Maer Harbor. Reason for the name as it's said, it cost's so much to keep your boat at either of the two marina's, you cannot afford the fuel to venture out on the lake. So you just motor out front to anchor your boat. True story for a few boaters I know.

Hope you make it to poor man's this summer. Great spot. Especially for the 4th of July fireworks. Awesome. We usually stay anchored for the night after the show.

Do you know the date of the fireworks this year?? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
QUOTE(WayneO @ Jun 18 2010, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Convincor @ Dec 29 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(chill_shark @ Dec 27 2009, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks, I found a Poor Man's marina on my charts up off the North Channel but I guessed that wasn't it. It is pretty nice in front of Mac Ray, sandy bottom, etc.

Do you know the date of the fireworks this year?? Thanks!

July 4th.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Headed out to Poorman today and was a little disappointed . The bottom was like soft mud. I was talking to a guy that offered up some advice for the sandy bottom. Moved twice and couldn't get on solid ground.

Ended uo heading over to Strawberry where we know it's solid. I got ther kinda late and didn;t get as close as I should have or could have. I'd like to give it another shot but don't want to waste my time.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
We were in a muddy spot at poor mans yesterday. It can be hit and miss.

I find that if I stay east of the flagpole and west of the main mac & rays canal, I have pretty good luck finding sandy bottom. I usually try to get close to the rock.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(sleeper @ Jul 6 2010, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We were in a muddy spot at poor mans yesterday. It can be hit and miss.

I find that if I stay east of the flagpole and west of the main mac & rays canal, I have pretty good luck finding sandy bottom. I usually try to get close to the rock.

I was probably as close to the rock yesterday as you want to be, just north and the bottom was sandy. Go 40 yards west and it was mushy muck which reminds me I forgot to clean the anchor when I got home.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
QUOTE(fitsus @ Jul 6 2010, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sleeper @ Jul 6 2010, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We were in a muddy spot at poor mans yesterday. It can be hit and miss.

I was probably as close to the rock yesterday as you want to be, just north and the bottom was sandy. Go 40 yards west and it was mushy muck which reminds me I forgot to clean the anchor when I got home.

Where the heck is this rock?? We were up there on Sunday and I really DON'T want to find out where this is "the hard way"

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(KMC @ Jul 7 2010, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fitsus @ Jul 6 2010, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sleeper @ Jul 6 2010, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We were in a muddy spot at poor mans yesterday. It can be hit and miss.

Where the heck is this rock?? We were up there on Sunday and I really DON'T want to find out where this is "the hard way"

It has a marker on it, and it's pretty much straight out from the MacRay's flag.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The marker even says "Rock" lol
(not much gray area there). Give it plenty of room, it's about 6' around and only got about 8" of water covering it. You can walk up and stand on it (photo opp.) It's got some gnarly scars on top of it from people on boats not paying attention I'm sure..

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
QUOTE(Bikini Bottom @ Jul 7 2010, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The marker even says "Rock" lol
(not much gray area there). Give it plenty of room, it's about 6' around and only got about 8" of water covering it. You can walk up and stand on it (photo opp.) It's got some gnarly scars on top of it from people on boats not paying attention I'm sure..

Guess I've never been close enough to see a marker. Sunday was the first time I was out in that area in years and I was pretty concerned about how shallow it would get anyways, so I didn't venture that far in. (but there were lots of much bigger boats closer in, so it had to be deep enough!)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE(KMC @ Jul 9 2010, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Bikini Bottom @ Jul 7 2010, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The marker even says "Rock" lol

Guess I've never been close enough to see a marker. Sunday was the first time I was out in that area in years and I was pretty concerned about how shallow it would get anyways, so I didn't venture that far in. (but there were lots of much bigger boats closer in, so it had to be deep enough!)

Just go slow, the entire bay is almost deep enough for all size boats, we were quite close to the Mac Ray Sea Wall near the flag July 4th wknd, in a 31' boat, twin inboard/v-drives, waist deep.

I climbed the Rock!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts