·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where "The Pool" is?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The pool probably refers to the pool at the end of Baie Fine in the North Channel above Manitoulin.
It's considered one of the best cruising spots in the world by many. It's certainly pretty there. It's at the end of a true North American Fjord.

Baie Fine

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking it was at the end of Baie Fine too (I've been there, and it is awesome!), but others seem to point to where you found Matt.

Just pondering possible travels this summer.

View attachment 62363

View attachment 62364

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
I stand corrected The Pool I referred to is referenced on hiking trails. Your boat probablly won't fit.

The Pool at the foot of Baie Fine. View is looking north east from the hills that line the shores of the Second Narrows. The Actual Pool anchorage area is the bowl shaped bay lined by rugged rocky and wooded hills, visible to the right of the frame.

Now I want to go there.

Matt

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(sidelite @ Jun 10 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Been there three times by boat and once hiking...

Have lots of info including charts, images, and video. Made some memorable trips in a SeaRay 330 Sundancer

2006 Cruise to Pool Day 5

2006 Cruise Day 8
I was hoping you would chime in. I've looked at a lot of your travels. Excellent job documenting it all!

Also, my favorite photo of our boat to date, is actually your photo of your boat!

View attachment 62367

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(270 Crown @ Jun 11 2009, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>AP, here's one of my picts from the Pool. The Evinrude family owns a small island and cabin there. This is their yacht/ship docked there. I've been to the Pool about 6 or 7 times, and boated in the region at least 10 times. I've have waypoints, etc that I can share.
I have a photo of there too.

Those poor souls having to summer like that. That would suck!

View attachment 62376

I'd enjoy looking at whatever waypoints you have. I don't think I'd ever even heard of GPS when I was there.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
whatever you do...don't take his advice on where to eat !

sidelite...fabulous photos and documentation !

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
nice article on that area in this months cruising world (a blow boat magazine) last months had lake superior

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jun 11 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(270 Crown @ Jun 11 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>AP, if you go, you definitely want to go to the Benjamins.
VERY COOL!!!

Thanks for the waypoints. I'm impressed with your travels!

No problem. The route through the Benjamins is a little tricky the first time through, just go slow and pay attention to the rocks under the water. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts