Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
801 Posts
The only place I know thats any good is up in clinton cut by the spillway, I dunno about the summer but their there in the spring pretty good.
Another place that has a decent amount of catfish is the black river in port huron, fish right next to the water street launch ramp at night, theres grass trash cans bathroom and a srtreet light right where you can fish.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Do a search. This question has come up about 6 times since April. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
We usually catch them by the mouth of the detroit river trolling for eyes. Not sure though. Someone here should give you some good info.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
years ago we camped at sleeper state park i would use fresh water clams minus the shells for bait from shore i caught a lot of kats that weekend

·
Registered
272 Posts
Alot of dead ones (large) washing up at metro lately

Though I due to catch many cats usually after 7PM to the right side of the point near the big tree. (Using just crawlers)

·
Registered
215 Posts
this time of year not sure spring time salt , cilton river, spill way in the spring are great spots ill try parks by rivers or canals at night with worms or dead minnows in the spring most of my cats are caught around 10 to 1 at night good luck huntiin for those cats

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
QUOTE(fishintyme @ Jul 1 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>anybody know any good spots to catch catfish from shore? What are some good baits to use?
Port Sanilac breakwall off the north wall...........crawlers or shrimp for bait.........my buddy seen a 40 incher caught last summer on shrimp

·
Registered
345 Posts
Waterfront Park in Harrison Twp.
South of Shook Rd. on Jefferson. The park opens at 8:00 am. First thing in the morning or in the late pm. FYI Park closes at 9:00 Worms or shrimp even cute bait will due.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(C.Smitty @ Jul 1 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishintyme @ Jul 1 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>anybody know any good spots to catch catfish from shore? What are some good baits to use?
Port Sanilac breakwall off the north wall...........crawlers or shrimp for bait.........my buddy seen a 40 incher caught last summer on shrimp

Saw two nice 10+ pounders caught at that exact spot last weekend.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jul 7 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(C.Smitty @ Jul 1 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishintyme @ Jul 1 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>anybody know any good spots to catch catfish from shore? What are some good baits to use?

Saw two nice 10+ pounders caught at that exact spot last weekend.

that breakwall has huge catfish no doubt......the corner or the end of the north wall is a good choice

·
Registered
407 Posts
Funny you should ask. I saw a huge one yesterday while snorkeling around 11 mile. Believe it or not it was inside a old tire in about 5 feet of water. I poked at it with my flipper but it wouldn't come out. Don't no how it fit in there cause it was easily 6-7 lbs & big and black.

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE(C.Smitty @ Jul 1 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishintyme @ Jul 1 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>anybody know any good spots to catch catfish from shore? What are some good baits to use?

Inside the wall or outside into the main lake?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
QUOTE(MattyGfishing @ Jul 9 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(C.Smitty @ Jul 1 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishintyme @ Jul 1 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>anybody know any good spots to catch catfish from shore? What are some good baits to use?

Inside the wall or outside into the main lake?

outside

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Look for shallow flats 2-4fow adjacent to deeper water, usually with a slow taper. Especially if there are a lot of weed beds in the nearby deeper water. Cats will dig themselves in the middle of the weeds during the day, and then shoot up on the flats at night.

When the winds kick up and the water turns to chocolate, you should be able to catch cats on the flat all day and all night.

1 word: S H R I M P

I like to put 20 or so in a ziplock bag, cracked open a little bit, and put it in the mircrowave for 2 min (if frozen, if not, 1 min), seal the bag back up and head out to the water. The melted down juice is gross, but effective. Try using a slip-sinker rig with a short leader, no need for a long one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts