Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, this is my first post here. Great site. I frequent some car forums, but this is my first boat forum and looked like it was worth joining.

Anyways, I am planning on heading out to St Clair to fish it for the first time ever. I went out there last weekend with a deck boat with some friends to get familiar with the launch etc.

On Friday, July 3rd, My father, uncle, and myself plan to head out early morning, about 6-7am. We would like to fish for perch and probably go after some smallies. We will be going out of Metro Park.

Where is the best areas to look for perch? We want to get some nice sized perch for the dinner table. Of course, crappie would be nice as well.
We plan to use crappie rigs or "Spreaders"...

Where can we pick up bait early in the morning near Metro Park?

NOAA shows waves at 1ft for tomorrow, doubt we will get too beat up in my Nitro 288 sport with a 225opti? I'm sure not like Saginaw Bay or Lake Erie. Boat is not setup for trolling, but has a positioning motor on the bow. Also, I have good electronics and am familiar with its use.

I'm fairly sure we can find some smallies, but any tips would be appreciated. We are used to fishing Saginaw Bay and north western Michigan (Torch, Elk, Clam, etc) mostly and I fished Erie off Cleveland for a couple of years. My understanding is that Lake St Clair is a slightly different animal.

Again, thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
they were getting some perch action by st clair light and dumping grounds over by the firecracker/mouth of south channel may be another area to try. ive only been muskie fishing so maybe someone else can help thats been perching. but if i were to go out for perch those would be the 2 areas i would work

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You. What/where is the St Clair light and the firecracker? I found the dumping grounds and the South Channel on my chart. Dumping grounds looks like a small mouth haven with lots of possible structure.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Try just east of bouy #26. You can go east a bit from the shipping channel and still be in American waters.

I'll dig out the GPS and try to find the co-ordinates for some good perchin spots, if you'd like them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts