Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a SM Bass fishing/camping trip July 5-9 with the wife. I am thinking this would be a good time to get to know Burt/Mullet or GT bay for possible tournaments in the future. I am assuming that both will be warm enough that the fish will be in their summer patterns and possibly harder to locate on the bay. Correct???? What would you guys do at this time of the year? Any tips or basic info about both places would be appreciated!! I have not fished either place, but heard great things about both - mostly during the spring and fall though! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Dude,...spend 2-3 days on each!!,..LOL It's awesome up there!! Burt/Mullet is on fire now,...it'll be post-spawn and summer patterns there in July. The Bay will probably be done with the spawn by then too, but maybe not. The fish in the Bay will spawn later due to the water temps usually being lower......Mullet was @ 54-58 deg everywhere we went this weekend...and the fish were bedding big-time!! There's just so many quality fish in that whole northern region, that you can't go wrong at either place...you can also just rent a place on Burt/Mullet and make a day trip over to the Bay,....it's probably a 2hr drive at the most....and if the Bay's blowin',..fish Charlevoix!! You CAN'T lose!!

Good luck.......and take lot's of tubes, spider grubs,..stick-o's...and spinner baits,.....you'll have a riot!!

Mac

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
I’ve fished them both and I would recommend East Bay before Burt and Mullet. In July East Bay will produce the biggest and best fishing. I highly recommend you check out Skegomog as well ..... You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MAC & ABA, I was thinking the bay as well for the cooler temps! I am trying to concentrate my time on one location for this vacation to really learn the water, not just catch fish. Just planning ahead for future tournaments ya know!
I will be fishing Skegmog a time or two though! That place is just loaded. Must be the Musky/Smallmouth combination that make incredible fisheries!

For GT bay, can anyone provide a simple description to let me know what to expect - not asking for GPS locations(they are welcomed though
). Is the bay all sand? Any gravel, rocks, weeds? Water clarity?

Thanks in advance!

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
I really like East Bay out of both West and East bays. However many of my buddies preffer West Bay.

You can find Rock, boulders, weeds, sand and gravel if you look hard enough.

If you launch out of Elk Rapids here is my suggestions.

Old Mission Point - Is known for spawning grounds, It is located between the two bays and is covered in rock. In July you may still find some large fish on the outside edges of the huge rock flats.
Along the east side of Old Misson point and a few miles south you will find a small cove, this cove has one awsome drop with weeds scattered along it. I have found the fishing to be hit and miss in this area but when its on it is very good.

Heading out of Elk Rapids if your turn north you will quickly find massive boulders littering along the east shore of East Bay. These boulders have been good in the past. If you turn south out of Elk Rapids you will find some very good sand bar drops with light weeds along them. In the far south of East bay there is a large amount of weeds whcih has been good for bass in the past.

Now for my #1 suggestion ......

Prior to launching your boat follow the lake shore (US31)north out of Elk Rapids until you find the road called Erickson rd. Turn left onto Erickson Rc until you meet the Lake Michigan shore line. Then GPS that point. This will give you an idea of how far north you must travel. Now go back to Elk Rapids launch and head north until you reach the area near Erickson rd. There is a ton of smaller rock and gravel located in the 20+ foot water range near Erickson rd. This rock holds some of the largest small mouth bass in the state. Drag a tube in this location and you wont be dissapointed.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
BTW ....... the water is clear and you will see rocks easily in the 15-30 foot range depending on how stirred up it is.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW!!!!! Thanks for the help and for giving up specifics. That is a rare thing in today's competitve fishing but I think its a very good quality to have for growing the sport. I have also noticed the ABA tournament results also publish specifics of lures and depths of the winning patterns. This is very informative and helpful for newer anglers. You are to be commended and if I get the time this year I will definitely try to make some of the ABA's.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
927 Posts
deadstick,

anthony and i discussed that prior to the season and both agreed that it was a good idea to have detailed reports on our tournaments. i think it is very beneficial to our anglers to get this information. and as long as those in the winners circle dont mind giving up some of there secrets, we will continue to post reports.

when i asked anthony if we could have a newsletter/highlights section on the website it was for two main reasons. 1) i personally wanted to see something like this on our website and figured our other members ( or viewers ) would also enjoy it. and 2) i have been wanting to get back into writing latley. it has always been a hobby of mine. and i hope with a little more practice i can actually get good at it.

glad you enjoy. we are really striving to give our members a little extra. we have some other ideas we may put into action later in the season that im sure everyone will like.

madman himself

P.S. any suggestions or critisism on the reports is welcome and appreciated. i would like to know what others think. and im not looking for compliments, only constructive critisism. thanks

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
No problem Deadstick.......anytime.

One thing I try very hard to do is to be helpfull towards other anglers.

On more thing. The rocks I am talking about just north of the elk rapids launch are located in the 7-15 foot range. You cant miss them bassically turn a sharp right out of the launch area and start looking you will find them very quickly.

Once you locate the small mouth up near Erickson rd, you wont be dissapointed. This I promise.

Please let me know how you did ......

Madman ........ well said!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts