Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a relatively new boater with a 16 ft, 50 hp aluminum fishing boat (Smokercraft). I'm looking for a place to catch fish, close to shore, in St. Clair. I won't be going on weekends and only on calm days.

Any recommendation of safe locations and what are the easiest launch sites?

I'd like to take my son so quantity is more important than quality right now. I've tried Stoney Creek and Cass Lake without much luck.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey man--most guys put in at either metro beach or the state access site just south of it--metro beach is at the east end of metro parkway.

if you stay within a few miles of the park either norht or south, that is where most of the posts on the site are about--south from metro beach to about 9 mile road, or jsut north a little. fish closer in for panfish, farther out for other stuff.

There are more bass than walleyes.

now for inland lakes--i have never done much at cass--i don't think its anywhere near as good as its reputation. try some of the other lakes nearby--like orchard lake, union lake, middle straights etc. easy to catch pan fish in those lakes, but not in cass--cass gets way too much traffic.

good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you plan to go on St Clair, make sure that you have all the Coast Guard required items on the boat.
In addition to those items, I would also suggest in getting a handheld GPS and notating where exactly you launched from before venturing out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Try selfridge launch at the end of M59. Weed beds galore all over the north end of the lake. This will be good for rockbass, gills, bass, pike. You will have access to a large part of the lake that is usually calm with the normal summer winds.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Try selfridge launch at the end of M59. Weed beds galore all over the north end of the lake. This will be good for rockbass, gills, bass, pike. You will have access to a large part of the lake that is usually calm with the normal summer winds.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Welcome to LSCN! I second using the Selfridge launch. It gives you access to a fairly protected bay and you don't have to cross the lake to find fish.

You might also consider the DNR launch across from Eddie's, south of Metro Parkway and Metro Beach, right next to the spillway. You can fish the mile roads easily from this luanch site.

If you don't have a GPS, pay close attention to hi-vis landmarks and carry a compass to be able to get yourself back. It's easy to become disoriented during a day's changing fishing spots.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Welcome to LSCN chadfish.. Always till your familiar with the lake look behind you as you boat away from the launch realize the sun sets in the west and that's the way back to the launch which will be on the west side of the lake. If you do become lost ask any boater out there they will be glad to help. It's easy to get lost it's a big lake,, Just keep looking backwards now and than as you boat away from the launch and look for landmarks. Metro and selfridge have lights that blink if your coming in when it's getting dark. Learn the lake and you'll do just fine. The May flies are messin up fishing a bit but the fish are ALWAYS BITING. The mile roads are a good place to start and just try the different depts. You'll find fish and enjoy yourself.

h2o<--says save some fish for me....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Chadfish, check out this site, you can launch from severak places on the lake that can keep you close to the area you wish to fish until you get more familar.
And, until you become more comfortable with what kind of water that boat will handle!!

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0%2C1607%2C7-1...212--%2C00.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts