Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Where you live, is there

3K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  Girlie 
#1 ·
Our society is actually pretty rude. If you think about it.
We drive cars every where, and people flip us off, cut us off, ect...and we do not really associate with others too much unless we have to. People are more interested in being left alone, and not bothered with other people....how nice.

How is your community ?

I live in the shores, a very nice quiet neighborhood, (even though my house is a pc of crap I have been told )I have great neighbors, always talk with them, on sat-sun morning i will sometimes have a coffee with the neighbors across the street, i always chat with my neighbors while outside.....

#2 ·
We live on a quiet street in Harper Woods and I love our neighbors. Most are elderly, a few younger couples. We do the same thing Eddie - only w/a few neighbors we bring drinks over instead of coffee

Most neighbors love to sit on the front porch, we'll come home and visit with them. Our neighbors 2 doors down, we take turns having dinner nights.

Everyone watches out for each other, it's nice!

#3 ·
yes. i grew up in fraser (if you blink while driving thru downtown, you'll miss it
) and there is a sense of community. when i was little, i remember my parents being good friends with the neighbors on both sides of us as well as kitty corner across the street. to this day, those neighbors STILL live there and our family's friendships are still strong as ever.

every july they have the fraser city picnic, and i go and see peeps i graduated with, old friends, peeps i know thru business... it's a totally awesome feeling. then there's the fraser VFW... lots of fun not only in the hall (it's where a lot of my family & kids in fraser had their grad parties) but also in that club room!

i really like the neighborhood still.

#4 ·
I live in the country south of 26 mile rd. between Gratiot & North Ave. Across from me is an elderly farmer with a lot of land. We help him out by cuting his grass and so on. Most of the neighbors wave to each other. That's about it... We have a couple who we sit and chat with.. Have them over for the holidays... Only 3 weeks ago a neighbor behind me was found in his barn with a self inflicted gun wound which was fatal... I don't understand why he did it... He was a nice guy who also use to wave???
My oldest daughter is building a home on our back acre this summer... I'm sure that new neighbor will be coming over all the time with my grand-daughter for dinner. haha

#6 ·
not really. live on a Main street across the street is a condo complex so dont really associate over thataways. I talk to my neighbors on either side once in a while or wave when I see' em. But I ususally stick to myself or I get home late from work. Good friend w/ wife and newborn lives on the other side of town and see him once in awhile. And some friends-friends live on the other side of town too but only go there for parties once in awhile. I need to get a boat so I can go hang with you peeps.

#8 ·
hhhmmmmmm.........Our society is actually pretty rude. If you think about it.
We drive cars every where, and people flip us off, cut us off, ect...and we do not really associate with others too much unless we have to. People are more interested in being left alone, and not bothered with other people....how nice........

i love talking to people..especially our neighbors. I never really considered it a chore to go out of my way to talk to someone. Our neighbors are very cool (most of them).. we also party on the weekends with them (the warm summer weekend nights)
Getting to know people is fun!

#9 ·
Thats what we really like about living in Oxford. It is small town America we see friends and neigbors in church, at the local resturant, at the hardware store. It is kinda cool peeps are very friendly also even the teenage kidz. I never got that same kind of sense of comunity growing up in N warren.

#10 ·
1 of my neighbors is one of my best friends and the others are all pretty cool. This is about the strongest sense of community that I have lived in in my 30+ years, but still not like small town sense of community.

#12 ·
We live in Harper Woods. Grew up on a nice quiet street in G.P. Have some really nice neighbors. All the kids are around the same age and watch out for each other..the adults take turns watching out for the kids too. In the warmer months we hang out in each others back yards and bbq. Help fix things that get broke work on each others house projects, shovel each others snow. During the black out there were only three of us with generators and we ran everyones fridge in the neighborhood taking turns checking on the elderly on our block. It's fun living here. Have coffee every sat with the nieghbor next door. It's a lot like the street I grew up on. That's definately what i will miss when we move.

#13 ·
Uhhhhhhhh dude this is America you're talking about.

In Germany, every Saturday I gathered with all the neighbors of my apartment and we cleaned the hallways. (scrubbed the heck out of) After that we swept the streets in front of our dwelling. It is immaculate and I really got the opportunity to truly get to know these people. I haven't a clue about my neighbors here. Weird!

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am starting to really like New Baltimore.

It is only five square miles, very quiet, very small and worth the outrageous taxes. I don't talk to all of my neighbors all that much, but that is okay, a polite hello here and there is all I need. I like everyone to mind their own business so to speak, however we all seem to get along, even the annoying psycho ones across the street (we were told they are on medication so things should be quieter, no leaf blowing the car at three in the morning
) See we can talk about these things!

Everyone in my sub, which is very small, knows Sadie from when we started walking her at 5 weeks. All the kids in the court scream out her name when we walk by.

We are the closest to the Garydeb's. It is always nice when you can trust one of your neighbors with a key to your house to take care of things when you are gone.

The speed limits are slower in NB, it seems. There is no rude horn honking, everyone takes their time (except me).

We have festivals, some of you went to the Polar Bear Plunge this past winter, and I saw some of you at the Fish Fly Festival last summer, and hope to see you again this June. Simple small town fun.

So yes, to answer your question there is a sense of community.

OOOhhhhh I am getting excited for summer!

I had to add that I love to be able to walk to a friends/neighbors house for a drinkin' party. Thanks Garydebs's's's!

Oh, and Jeff got invited over for coffee to our neighbors house, or I mean dragged over there and not by me!

#15 ·
We live in Riverbend Sub, Harrison Twp. It is a new sub, but we know a ton of the neighbors. We have neighborhood euchre nights once a month and there are tons of parties in the summer. I am the type that likes my privacy but also likes great neighbors. During the blackout last summer, it was a big party in our sub. Anyone who had a generator plugged in their neighbors houses too. Our sump pump backup system went out at like 5:am and our neighbor saw the flashlights in the house and came over to help. We all took turns going to get gas in Port Huron for the generators too! Great people! Oh, and they all party like rock stars! Many bring their baby monitors to the neighbors to party!

#16 ·
QUOTE(HazyMemory @ Apr 13 2004, 10:24 AM)on the water -- there is a HUGE sense of community.
go to the shopping mall, look there, people are disassociated.

#17 ·
I have lived in Roseville, St. Clair, East Lansing, and Harison Twp. and have always found that if you make an effort to get to know your neighbors most of the time they will make an effort to acknowledge you.

But I have also found that some people are just down right rude and care only for themselves. To them I say "BO!" just to see if I can wake them up.

Harbor Club North is like a coed party house and sometimes you can't get your neighbors off your deck!

#18 ·
We live in Grosse Pointe Farms. I say yes, there is a strong sense of community.
We have neighbors that are in there mid 30's, with no kids . They grab our 2 1/2 year old almost nightly for 1/2 hour or so... It gives us a nice break, and my son absolutely loves them. If we were to move, it would be like a divorce!

On the other side, we have a great family that we hang out with. Drink a couple beers, smoke a cigar on the deck.

Across the street we have the STRANGEST neighbor ever... Just gives you the creeps. He is a little, quiet, querky man that freaks us out.

Other than him, we absolutely love our neighborhood, the local stores, and the parks.

#19 ·
I live on Lakeshore in Harrison Twp. for the past 7 years. I've had the greatest time living here. When I "used" to work the only thing I look forward to was driving home from all the hustle and bustle of traffic and getting down to my street and looking on both sides and seeing water and have that awesome feeling like you are a way from everything. Eventhoug it takes like 15 minutes practically to get out of the sub, once you're in you really feel like you are in your own little paradise. All my neighbors are cool and nothing like hearing boats roaring in the distance hanging out in the backyard watching boats going by and people partying having a good time.

But now I have to move to some far off land in Saline where there's no water no boats going by just big houses on big lots with no trees!!
I know I'll make the best of it, but leaving this house is the saddest thing next to my little kitty Ernie dying I've had to face. Soooooo many good memories in this house. I swear one day don't know when but I'll move back on this street again. Of course all the houses will be a million bucks by then! <_<

#21 ·
My neighborhood is perfect for me.

My immediate neighbors are all friendly we share bon fires and we can go over to their house for a drink or two and to just say hi.

The best thing about it is that it's not small town living! I grew up in a small town and I don't ever want to be in a situation where everyone in the community is so bored that they entertain themselves by being preoccupied with everyone else's business. Some people like small towns and they can over look all the gossip and crap that goes on, but for me I like living in the city, dealing with folks who could give a hoot and having close friends to share things with!

That's just my .02

#22 ·
i like being able to drive down jefferson and know who the 2 hot chicks are speed walking down the street are.

#24 ·
never answered the topic

I have nice neighbors and have made good friend with people who live on my street too. One of my neighbors brings me veggies from her garden daily, another older lady down the street always brings us tomatoes in the summer from her garden (don't even know her name either), my other neighbors I have coffee in the morning with and beers in the evening with. They take care of my home and cat and flowers when I'm up north or on vacation, really great people! Our kids play together and we've spent alot of time together. I am blessed in that sense of having good neighbors, but don't really feel as much of the community as when I lived in downtown Mt. Clemens for 6 years.

Grew up in New Baltimore and that will always be my old stopming grounds and 'home' for me......

#25 ·
we have decent neighbors just casual though hi how are you wave hi and once in a while talk if were out side at the same time.. I think if you have kids and your neighbors have kids you tend to talk more with them because your kids are friends.. While having a couple trees cut down a few came by we bs d for a while offered them a beer. And was invited to a bon fire one has on tues. Not really home that much to hang out with them though.. that and i try not to be to nosy

#26 ·
There is a sense of community in my neighborhood, senior community. I think I am the youngest person in the whole complex!!!
I like it though, everyone is nice and it's quiet and there is always someone who wants to talk about gardening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.