Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your opinions out there. Im looking at two boats right now, a 96 tracker Targa 2000 with a 225 efi merc. 24v bow mount, fish finder up front, and gps fish finder combo by driving console. I feel this would be a safe boat for st clair and anchor bay.

The other is a 98 ranger 17' R71 with a 125 merc. pretty much the same options as the targa. Would the 17' bass boat be pretty safe for the lake. Anyone out there run bass boats in this range.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I think a 17' bass boat is too small to effectively/safely fish Lake St. Clair. The bigger the better if you plan on fishing the Great Lakes. You'll pay more upfront but you'll be happy you did in the long run.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
In big water, bigger is certainly better.

Dont overlook taking the proper precautions when dealing with water like LSC. MULTIPLE navigation aids, current maps, current weather reports, Boater Safety Classes, defensive driving, multiple methods of communication including whistles, multiple bilge pumps including manual and most importantly......COMMON SENSE are a necessity.

Not that you cant do all that in a 17 footer, but your days and times of those days will be limited with the recreational traffic. I wish I had a 40 footer EVERY weekend about 1:30 in the afternoon when the sun is shining. The difference is how you "defensively attack" the bathtub conditions....

Mini

1 - 3 of 3 Posts