Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what colors work well on LSC for Muskie? I understand that on any given day any color can work, but some colors do well on certain lakes.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
we tend to use alot of natural color patterns perch,bass,walleye, frog be a good starting point, stop in at the 9 mile bp they carry a good assortment of whats popular around here. i finally got by there and was impressed they dont stock junk. what they have on the wall is what were using wich is a great help for someone just starting out. can save alot of money and grief buying tackle that doesnt work well. but in my opinion perch, bass, walleye are 3 must have colors. also try n mix up the brands a little they all have different actions. loke, wiley,gotcha,ziggies,woodies are all good baits and all are made in america or canada. im sure others will chime in with their favorite brand/lure

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Man if you ever figure out the answer to that question you'll be a millionare! Troller is right, get a couple different styles in those colors and you should be ok.

Now for a different opinion. Use anything you think looks different. Musky hunt be feeling the vibrations / electrical pulses / whatever and by sight. Don't just stick with Perch, Bass, Sucker patterns as these patterns are also all natural camo for baitfish. Don't be afraid of a bright orange or bright yellow, green, silver, gold, etc..., either. Yes alot of lures catch mostly fisherman so don't go overboard, but a couple oddballs won't break the bank. Alot of fish will hit things that don't resemble anything natural in this world. How else can you explain 4lb Bass on a bubblegum Senko? Or this:

Water Sky Smile Vertebrate Casting (fishing)

Attachments

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Jun 17 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Man if you ever figure out the answer to that question you'll be a millionare! Troller is right, get a couple different styles in those colors and you should be ok.

Now for a different opinion. Use anything you think looks different. Musky hunt be feeling the vibrations / electrical pulses / whatever and by sight. Don't just stick with Perch, Bass, Sucker patterns as these patterns are also all natural camo for baitfish. Don't be afraid of a bright orange or bright yellow, green, silver, gold, etc..., either. Yes alot of lures catch mostly fisherman so don't go overboard, but a couple oddballs won't break the bank. Alot of fish will hit things that don't resemble anything natural in this world. How else can you explain 4lb Bass on a bubblegum Senko? Or this:

View attachment 62712

True, I tend to start with "natural" colors, but when that fails sometimes I'll throw something really different, even bright blue has been known to work when nothing else does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am new to this site. This is my first reply. About 8 years ago my friend bought some bagley bang-o's when he was in florida. He got them in blue on top and silver on bottom. He thought they might work good on the ski's in lsc. Well he was right. We have landed a lot of them on this lure. We always have a least on of these out on our spread. They are very easy to use. This bait dives very deep so there is no need to add any weight to the line. I would not let out more than 25 to 30 feet of line behind the boat or you will be hitting bottom in 12 to 15 fow. I know the bait shop on Jefferson and Crocker does sell these but last month I did not see any blue and silver. Good luck !!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
You really only need 3.

1) St. Lawrence
2) Olive Frog
3) White Belly Perch

My best lure has no paint on it at all if that helps!

·
Registered
67 Posts
The best suggestion outside of the before mentioned is to check water clarity and color. It's the same regardless of species or water type (salt/fresh); match the haze or clarity, bright baits on clear days have always been succesful for me and when the water is hazy/milky just match the water clarity. The best producers in a bucktail regardless of manufacturer is a copper or nickel blade with a black chratreuse and red skirt. Some of the biggest fish I have ever caught trolling have been when the boat is in idle while fighting another fish. If LOKE would make the Bernie Sr. bait; give her a try. It was a prototype and is now 15 yrs old but that was my favorite, outside of the ORIGINAL St. Lawrence.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Jun 17 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Man if you ever figure out the answer to that question you'll be a millionare! Troller is right, get a couple different styles in those colors and you should be ok.

View attachment 62712

lol Is that a Mepps Giant Killer Sassy Shad in orange I see?

·
Registered
525 Posts
action then color. after painting commercially for 20 years theres several for st clair.
perch
9 dollar.
st lawerence
coachdog
firebass, and im sure theres more personal preferences as bird, dogs balls.
match the water colors and temps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts