Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i was cleaning some fish i found that they are eating gobies.when i lived in tawas my friends and i would use them as bait.we would use a 2 way swivel with a slip sinker above the swivel.then a 3 foot lead and a #12 treble hook.i woyuld also put a rubber band on the handle of my pole and have the bail open and use the rubber band to hold the line so that when those brownies hit it they would be swimming free.when they would stop i assume thats when they are swallowing. its time to set the hook.fish on! have caught numerous walleyes and browns on gobies.the perch in lsc will be huge in a few years.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(misterperch @ Jan 29 2010, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when i was cleaning some fish i found that they are eating gobies.when i lived in tawas my friends and i would use them as bait.we would use a 2 way swivel with a slip sinker above the swivel.then a 3 foot lead and a #12 treble hook.i woyuld also put a rubber band on the handle of my pole and have the bail open and use the rubber band to hold the line so that when those brownies hit it they would be swimming free.when they would stop i assume thats when they are swallowing. its time to set the hook.fish on! have caught numerous walleyes and browns on gobies.the perch in lsc will be huge in a few years.

This is copied and pasted from the 2009 MDNR Fishing Regulations Booklet. I have not seen the 2010 one yet and would assume that the regulations regarding using invasive species as bait or possessing them has not changed for 2010.....

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/full...ds_272056_7.pdf (top of page 7)

IT IS UNLAWFUL TO:

Possess or transport any live transgenic (genetically engineered)
organisms or the following nonnative fish: bighead carp, black
carp, large scale silver carp, silver carp, grass carp (white amur),
members of the snakehead family (Channidae), bitterling, Ide,
Japanese weatherfish, rudd, tench, Eurasian ruffe, tubenose goby,
or round goby. To do so may result in civil fines up to $10,000

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Same with zebra and quagga mussels...if not for them this lake would still be brown all year. Remember what it looked like in the 70's and 80's? EEWWWWWW

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Jan 29 2010, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Same with zebra and quagga mussels...if not for them this lake would still be brown all year. Remember what it looked like in the 70's and 80's? EEWWWWWW

we where catching walleye with some numbers by selfridge back then too.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Yup, We used to go ANYWHERE in the lake and drift harnesses and catch limits. Did it all the time. We used to launch at Captain's Cove in the Bay or Admiral Marina in the south.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Never put the anchor in the water when perch fishing then. Always drifted and getting fish. When thebite stopped, crank over the engine and head back up wind and start all over again.
You can't do this now. Way to many TALL weeds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jan 29 2010, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(misterperch @ Jan 29 2010, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when i was cleaning some fish i found that they are eating gobies.when i lived in tawas my friends and i would use them as bait.we would use a 2 way swivel with a slip sinker above the swivel.then a 3 foot lead and a #12 treble hook.i woyuld also put a rubber band on the handle of my pole and have the bail open and use the rubber band to hold the line so that when those brownies hit it they would be swimming free.when they would stop i assume thats when they are swallowing. its time to set the hook.fish on! have caught numerous walleyes and browns on gobies.the perch in lsc will be huge in a few years.

This is copied and pasted from the 2009 MDNR Fishing Regulations Booklet. I have not seen the 2010 one yet and would assume that the regulations regarding using invasive species as bait or possessing them has not changed for 2010.....

IT IS UNLAWFUL TO:

we would use them with a bobber too. alot of action as they were always trying to get to the bottom. i didnt know it was illegal! i would catch them from time to time in the minnow trap.I also haerd from a dnr fish counter that walleyes and perch are eating zebra mussles.i too believe they may have helped the fishery here,with the smelt numbers down so much.and i also heard that the emerald shiners are coming back in numbers,emerald shiners do not come into the rivers to spawn like smelt do.they stay in deeper water and spawn on reefs.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Jan 29 2010, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Same with zebra and quagga mussels...if not for them this lake would still be brown all year. Remember what it looked like in the 70's and 80's? EEWWWWWW

Boy do I ever....

While the short term gain has been dramatic, we still dont know about the long term effects. So far so GOOD (for fishing anyway)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Jan 29 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup, We used to go ANYWHERE in the lake and drift harnesses and catch limits. Did it all the time. We used to launch at Captain's Cove in the Bay or Admiral Marina in the south.

admirals.....wow ...that takes me back. anybody remember the strip club right across from the selfridge launch??

·
Registered
692 Posts
"admirals.....wow ...that takes me back. anybody remember the strip club right across from the selfridge launch??"

That would be the infamous Sail Inn! I was there a couple times, but that place got so bad bikers and ex green berets were nervous about going in!

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jan 29 2010, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(snowman @ Jan 29 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup, We used to go ANYWHERE in the lake and drift harnesses and catch limits. Did it all the time. We used to launch at Captain's Cove in the Bay or Admiral Marina in the south.

admirals.....wow ...that takes me back. anybody remember the strip club right across from the selfridge launch??

I think the name of it was The Sail In. They had one stripper in there that was about 400 pounds, went by the name "Tiny Tina". She was HUGE!!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
QUOTE(iggy @ Jan 29 2010, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jan 29 2010, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(snowman @ Jan 29 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup, We used to go ANYWHERE in the lake and drift harnesses and catch limits. Did it all the time. We used to launch at Captain's Cove in the Bay or Admiral Marina in the south.

I think the name of it was The Sail In. They had one stripper in there that was about 400 pounds, went by the name "Tiny Tina". She was HUGE!!!

Ummm..hey Iggy..read the post above yours LOL

·
3,236 Posts
QUOTE(misterperch @ Jan 29 2010, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Mini @ Jan 29 2010, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(misterperch @ Jan 29 2010, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when i was cleaning some fish i found that they are eating gobies.when i lived in tawas my friends and i would use them as bait.we would use a 2 way swivel with a slip sinker above the swivel.then a 3 foot lead and a #12 treble hook.i woyuld also put a rubber band on the handle of my pole and have the bail open and use the rubber band to hold the line so that when those brownies hit it they would be swimming free.when they would stop i assume thats when they are swallowing. its time to set the hook.fish on! have caught numerous walleyes and browns on gobies.the perch in lsc will be huge in a few years.

IT IS UNLAWFUL TO:

we would use them with a bobber too. alot of action as they were always trying to get to the bottom. i didnt know it was illegal! i would catch them from time to time in the minnow trap.I also haerd from a dnr fish counter that walleyes and perch are eating zebra mussles.i too believe they may have helped the fishery here,with the smelt numbers down so much.and i also heard that the emerald shiners are coming back in numbers,emerald shiners do not come into the rivers to spawn like smelt do.they stay in deeper water and spawn on reefs.

If you are catching your bait and then putting a hook through it and throwing it back in the same body of water it came from what possible harm could you be causing. I suppose technically it is illegal but I would be surprised if a CO wrote you for it. Different story if you catch in say lake Michigan and then transport them to an inland lake to fish, that could have potentially devastating affects and would be irresponsible.

I am happy to see that most of the native great lakes species have adapted to eating them and are flourishing. If only those slamon would start eating them then the Lake Huron populations would come back as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
QUOTE(b_radici @ Jan 29 2010, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Definitely agree with Tony on this one. If you catch it, then fish it on the same body of water, then what's the harm. You're not transporting it.....

Ditto, just don't get caught. I've been boarded in Canada before for a license check. It takes a CO less than two minutes to get on your boat. We were all legal so it was no problem, the time it took to board us shocked me. No time to do anything, one minute they were 25 yards away next minute he was standing next to me while I was reeling in a smallie!

I think the smallmouth and muskie hve benifitted from the Gobies and Zebra Mussels, the Walleye seems to be down in the lake though. Not sure on the Perch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts