Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I'm contemplating on getting another boat, and wonder what the V front flat bottom Jon boat are like. Kinda like a Ware Eagle or G3. Do you go out on St. Clair with it, and how does it handle waves? I'm leaning towards a Center Console, and would primarily use it for duck hunting, but want something that is capable of going on the lake for a day of fishing too, and not beating the heck out of us.

If you don't own one but been in one on St.Clair, or either of the rivers attached to it, how was the ride?

Just looking for your thoughts, and hopefully input.

I don't want just a regular flat front and flat bottom Jon boat due to the squared off front, and usually big waves I encounter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got a 2004 16x48 Tracker Grizzley with a 25 hp merc and bow mounted trolling motor. I fish and hunt Lake St. Clair regularly with it. It will beat me to death if the wind/waves are anything of size. A ten mph wind and waves greater than one foot get my attention. Being retired I can afford to wait for calmer conditions. If I do occassionally try it, I try to put in early and get off before it gets rough. I'll fish the mile roads launching from Crocker in May/June/July. I'll hunt ducks in Muscamoot in November. The trick is getting where you want to go. If crossing open water, you've got to pick the right conditions or not go at all. I have had to take the boat in twice to repair welds busted due to the pounding I sometimes received when I pushed my luck. A lifetime warranty on the welds is something I would look for if buying a new boat. I bought the boat five years ago primarily to hunt ducks in flooded cornfields down Missouri way. The hunting/fishing here is a pleasant bonus.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Jul 25 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So Mike, you buying a new boat on my 11% tuition increase?

Is that how much it went up this year? Wow, thanks Mark, now I can get an even better one than I was gonna.

If it went up that much, it is because the Top 30 people at work got between 10% and 37% raises, and the President got a 40% increase. It is just like the heads of the Big 3. They just don't get it. But they did say they wouldn't take another raise for the next 2 years. NO CRAP. If I got a 40% raise, I wouldn't need another raise as long as I worked there.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 25 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>BTW Mark, What days you gonna be at the OC this semester?

MWF in the afternoon. Tuition hasn't gone up that much YET, they're voting on it Wednesday and they say it will probably pass. I'm writing e-mails to all of the trustees to voice my rage about it. It's absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Great post Mike, and even better help dannyduck.

Another question: With the tremendous difference in price, and considering the conditions you end up inherently being limited to due to the size and make-up of a jon boat anyway, would you invest in a welded boat or save the cash and get a riveted. Again, figuring you're only going to be hunting or fishing in certain conditions...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Grapes, got this info off this site:

http://www.snyderboats.com/faq.htm

Q: Wouldnt the modified-V hulls ride softer than sled hulls?

At very slow speeds perhaps, but once the hull is on plane, the V on most of these hulls is out of the water. If youve ever watched a jon or sled hull on plane, youve noticed that the first or more of the hull has little or no contact with the surface of the water. When going through rough
water, it hits the back two-thirds of the hull. Since that area on both is a semi-flat surface, it tends to pound rather than slice through the water as a more traditional semi-V hull does. So the claim is more perception than reality. The response is usually a smirk, but just take a look the next time you see a modified-V on plane. Rather than lumping all MV jons in the same pool, there are a few models out there that do have a longer V in the bow and those will offer some advantage to the ride in rough water. What you end up sacrificing is far less semi-flat planning area, more drag and reduced bow area.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that pretty much sums up what I was thinking. Thanks Jerry. I'll stick to the Mod-V's.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Jul 28 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So nothing on the welded vs riveted huh?

I see you Eric!

my riveted one stopped leaking when I painted it. Every rivit that I thought looked loose or damaged I just added more paint. And it worked.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 28 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Jul 28 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So nothing on the welded vs riveted huh?

I see you Eric!

my riveted one stopped leaking when I painted it. Every rivit that I thought looked loose or damaged I just added more paint. And it worked.

I can't tell if my boat leaks or not. My boat always has water in it because the dogs keep jumping in and out, and the hunters always get in and out. Maybe I should take it out one day with no dogs or hunters.

Never!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(Shep @ Jul 28 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 28 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Jul 28 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So nothing on the welded vs riveted huh?

I see you Eric!

I can't tell if my boat leaks or not. My boat always has water in it because the dogs keep jumping in and out, and the hunters always get in and out. Maybe I should take it out one day with no dogs or hunters.

Never!

great answer.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 30 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Grapes I passed one on jefferson, not sure about specs or price.

My mind was quicly changed with JigginJerry's post. After reading that, I could picture myself getting beat to death pounding the waves with the flat part of the boat. I'm gonna stay with a Modified V, just need to get one that is longer and wider.

Man if I had a dollar for everytime I have been told that, I could have bought a new one by now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Regarding welded vs riveted boats. My experience and the guys I hunt around prefer welded boats. You rarely see a riveted boat used for very long. The reason being when you hunt around ice, riveted boats tend to spring leaks when you need to break that ice to get where you want to hunt. If you have to break 1 3/4 inch to 2 inch thick ice, it can put a lot of stress on a riveted hull. However most of my experience has been hunting Missouri water and marshes, but I have not found it to be any different hunting up here. Welded boats hold up better in icy conditions. I don't know how the warranty on a new riveted boat would work, but often a welded hull has a lifetime warranty. I know my Tracker has.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts