Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who has or hasn't pulled their boat out of the water yet. & do you winterize your own boat or have someone do it for you?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I used to set a target of Halloween to get all my client's boats winterized. I learned over the years after October the weather was so variable that scheduling shrink wrap was a real challenge between the high winds and rain in November. I think Sailor has the right plan. The lake water temp will keep the engine safe, but you could get a cold blast that might damage the accessories, so having them winterized now is a prudent play. There, of course, is much more than the mechanical equipment; I used to put predator urine in all the boats to keep rodents out from chewing the wires.

Chili

·
Super Moderator
89 Posts
I used to set a target of Halloween to get all my client's boats winterized. I learned over the years after October the weather was so variable that scheduling shrink wrap was a real challenge between the high winds and rain in November. I think Sailor has the right plan. The lake water temp will keep the engine safe, but you could get a cold blast that might damage the accessories, so having them winterized now is a prudent play. There, of course, is much more than the mechanical equipment; I used to put predator urine in all the boats to keep rodents out from chewing the wires.

Chili
Predator urine...that is an excellent idea!
You talking cat urine???

Had trouble with mice in the boat a few years back. Have been using a product called Cab Fresh with decent results.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I actually bought bottled predator urine and put them in cotton balls and strips. You can get coyote urine at tractor supply or online. After I started doing that it solved the problem of mice chewing up wires. I used to also winterize a lot of ski boats and pontoons in SE MI where people stored them in their back yards. Mice were a big problem.
Chili

·
Super Moderator
89 Posts
I actually bought bottled predator urine and put them in cotton balls and strips. You can get coyote urine at tractor supply or online. After I started doing that it solved the problem of mice chewing up wires. I used to also winterize a lot of ski boats and pontoons in SE MI where people stored them in their back yards. Mice were a big problem.
Chili
Thanks for that tip Chili ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts