Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember some of these?
I know the title is how true, but it really is ...
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were
Kids in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's probably shouldn't have survived.
Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint
which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and fluorescent clackers' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the passenger seat was a treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle - tasted the
same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank
Fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging needles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one
minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones,no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really
hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were
No lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do the same thing again.

We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue - we learned to get over it.

We walked to friend's homes.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate live stuff, and
although we were told it would happen, we did not have very many eyes
come out, nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. The idea of a
Parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually
sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and
Problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an
Explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned to deal with it all.

And you're one of them.

Congratulations!

Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as real
kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own
good.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
yeh Hazy... good one!, missing the adventures now.l..

Reminiscing ...saying bon voyage to my little my brother sending him floating down the creek in our home made raft made of styrofoam and his binky blanket for a sail - (who was 4 then scared to death) not knowing where he'd end up but sure he'd discover a new land .. kick-the-can, knicky knicky nine doors... homemade parachutes made with chairs and bedspreads plumitting from the roof tops.

Pretty sad now, just had my neighbours sign a waiver of liability form if they wanted their kids to play on the monstrousity of a playscape I just had built for my son. They sue everybody and everyone, anyway anyhow, and couldn't take the chance of being their next victim....

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
QUOTE(canehdiangirl @ May 21 2003, 07:28 AM)yeh Hazy... good one!, missing the adventures now.l..

Reminiscing ...saying bon voyage to my little my brother sending him floating down the creek in our home made raft made of styrofoam and his binky blanket for a sail - (who was 4 then scared to death) not knowing where he'd end up but sure he'd discover a new land .. kick-the-can, knicky knicky nine doors... homemade parachutes made with chairs and bedspreads plumitting from the roof tops.

Pretty sad now, just had my neighbours sign a waiver of liability form if they wanted their kids to play on the monstrousity of a playscape I just had built for my son. They sue everybody and everyone, anyway anyhow, and couldn't take the chance of being their next victim....
That was childhood. Come the teenage years we drove riproaring drunk on the twisting Indiana backroads. (Flipped my buddies car once and walked away, car didn't fare so well). Did anybody play a game called "Bowling for Dollars"? we used to hang out the car window on garbage night and pick up a trash can and drive by the next house and try and knock over the "pins". too funny!!! Dragged cases of beer and other assorted party supplies into caves in the woods and partied all night with our buds. Kegs of beer and bottles of jack and bags of "whatever" carted out to the quarry holes and that first dive off of the high point (Called rooftop - 60 ft. high, seemed like more) into the quarry to prove your manhood in the Spring - hoping that the rocks below the surface hadn't shifted in the Winter. Hangin out on the Railroad overpass at Lake lemon getting lit up on "Two Finger's Tequila".

Lost a couple friends in those days, "Death by Misadventure", I think they called it. Still think about my buddy Craig Brauner every single day, and that was 22 years ago. Just got a scholarship to play soccer at Stanford, we're all partying at his house with his brothers and he calls riproaring drunk from California and tells us he just bought a used Vette and he's going for a ride with his new friends. I'll never forget his brother telling him "Hey, man that's too cool. But be careful man you sound pretty drunk!!" Boom dead at 18 - forever young in my mind. Wow was that a slap in the face from reality for a bunch of 18 year olds. I think I've taken a little piece of him everywhere I've been to.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well--- when you look at it that way--- I guess I am lucky to be alive!!

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
We used to sneak into my buddy's dad's welding tanks and fill balloons with asetaline, put them in a paper bag and go to the Lake Shore High School football games to light them by the locker-rooms. You should have seen every one in the stands jump! That's when the "wave" was really invented.

Those explosions were as loud as a stick of dynamite!!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
One time my brother and I stole a couple cases of Sterno from a restaurant and during a real bad snow storm dug a trench across the road at night in our neighborhood. We waited for a car to come and lit the trench. When the flames went up the driver did a couple 360's, he got out and started yelling at us and we pelted him with field corn. HAHAHAHAHAHa. God we were bad news. Property values skyrocketed after we moved out of that neighborhood.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
threecrabs and 3crabs........ I owe you two dinner. Thankyou threecrabs for suggesting that I talk to 3crabs about veronique's car and thankyou 3crabs for the great advise. I am so relieved it turned out to be a 16 dollar fix instead of 1600 dollar fix.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
We would mount a cox airplane engine on those styro-foam (<-sp) airplanes you would find at the home builders shows. Those things had a wingspan of about 5 feet and flew at least 300 yards with no guidance.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ May 23 2003, 12:06 AM)Still pleading the fifth....

Mini
Mini - we're gonna have to broach this subject over a fifth of Cuervo Gold!!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(Capt'n Rob @ May 22 2003, 12:39 AM)We would mount a cox airplane engine on those styro-foam (<-sp) airplanes you would find at the home builders shows. Those things had a wingspan of about 5 feet and flew at least 300 yards with no guidance.
I used to do that with Jason R from the top of Metro Tower when I lived there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.