Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Number one child (sophomore in high school) chose to linger in bed longer than usual, then loiter around the magazines and cool stuff on the table rather than pack up his books. He left the house for the bus stop about five minutes later than he should have. About ten minutes later he returns and asks for a ride to school.

"It will cost five bucks. Get the dog and get in the car."

The dog really likes going for rides and I like having money for lunch!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not exactly the same thing... have YOU ever tried getting money out of a teenager? Grass still needs to get cut, trash taken out, chores done, etc. and if he gets $$$ for that, no way is he going to part with it.

Plus, he gets to ride in a little car with a 60 lb. excited boxer in the back seat!

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 30 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not exactly the same thing... have YOU ever tried getting money out of a teenager? Grass still needs to get cut, trash taken out, chores done, etc. and if he gets $$$ for that, no way is he going to part with it.

Plus, he gets to ride in a little car with a 60 lb. excited boxer in the back seat!
The only thing better would be to put on some bright red lipstick that comes off easily and give him a big smooch as he leaves the car.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Stodge @ Sep 30 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 30 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not exactly the same thing... have YOU ever tried getting money out of a teenager? Grass still needs to get cut, trash taken out, chores done, etc. and if he gets $$$ for that, no way is he going to part with it.

The only thing better would be to put on some bright red lipstick that comes off easily and give him a big smooch as he leaves the car.

I've thought about the fuzzy bathrobe and slippers with my hair in curlers, mud mask on my face, etc. I'm saving those cards in case I really have to play them.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 30 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Sep 30 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 30 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not exactly the same thing... have YOU ever tried getting money out of a teenager? Grass still needs to get cut, trash taken out, chores done, etc. and if he gets $$$ for that, no way is he going to part with it.

I've thought about the fuzzy bathrobe and slippers with my hair in curlers, mud mask on my face, etc. I'm saving those cards in case I really have to play them.

Oh I'd pay money for photos of that event.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 30 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not exactly the same thing... have YOU ever tried getting money out of a teenager? Grass still needs to get cut, trash taken out, chores done, etc. and if he gets $$ for that, no way is he going to part with it.

Negative on the 1st bold

@ the 2nd bold

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Sep 30 2009, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 30 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Sep 30 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 30 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not exactly the same thing... have YOU ever tried getting money out of a teenager? Grass still needs to get cut, trash taken out, chores done, etc. and if he gets $$$ for that, no way is he going to part with it.

Oh I'd pay money for photos of that event.

Me too!!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I remember the original thread for this and some people were mean to you
I think it's great you stuck to your guns
and taught a very simple but hopefully lasting lesson...

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(nitwit @ Sep 30 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I remember the original thread for this and some people were mean to you
I think it's great you stuck to your guns
and taught a very simple but hopefully lasting lesson...
Thanks! All I can say is, guess who was up bright and early today, ready to go?
The dog is bummed, though. She really enjoyed seeing all the kids!

After what my kids and I've been through, dealing with some internet opinions (especially the bad ones) takes up about .0001% of my brain processing. I have to do what works for me/us, and so far the "Love & Logic" stuff is working. I even use it on the job with co-workers.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Oct 1 2009, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>dealing with some internet opinions (especially the bad ones) takes up about .0001% of my brain processing. I have to do what works for me/us, and so far the "Love & Logic" stuff is working. I even use it on the job with co-workers.

Ditto !

The hardest and most rewarding job anyone will ever do is be a parent.
If you (we) don't go with our own convictions it can be confusing for our kids.
I was (still am) a tough parent. That worked..and what's more...I felt it was my obligation
to teach them right from wrong.
Now that my sons are adults, they have both said they look back and totally appreciate
the way they were raised and give us both credit for their successes.
Folks, it doesn't get any better than that

KUDOS Christine !

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Oct 1 2009, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After what my kids and I've been through, dealing with some internet opinions (especially the bad ones) takes up about .0001% of my brain processing. I have to do what works for me/us, and so far the "Love & Logic" stuff is working. I even use it on the job with co-workers.
You charge co-workers $5 for being late?

You GOTTA teach me that one.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(Stodge @ Oct 1 2009, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You charge co-workers $5 for being late?

No, I use the Love & Logic stuff on the manipulative, passive/agressive co-workers that try and guilt people into doing their work for them. It's basically listening to their sob story (without interrupting--the hardest part!), agreeing their situation sucks, then saying, "wow, you're in a bind. How are you going to handle it?" then listening, then saying, "good luck with that. Let me know how it turns out. Hey, is that my phone?". Give them back the responsibility of doing their job instead of rescuing them.

The amount of people coming by my cube and bitching about all their crap has significantly declined!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.