Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Were you told upfront at the beginning of the year and during all the qualifying tournaments that you were fishing for a chance for the classic and a new boat as 1st prize in that classic? If so, you were wronged. I dont see how a tournament can take 30 percent and dangle a new boat on the premise of fishing not a raffle and not deliver you a chance to to try and win it fishing if you qualified for the classic.

It doesnt matter who shows up to a tournament. You are fishing against the fish, not the other anglers. Sure some are better than others, but anyone with a line in the water can get bit 5 times and win in any given day. You have to be in the right spot on the right type of fish and things just have to go your way.

I agree I want to be fishing against the best fisherman I can. It is the competitive nature in me. Can I compete "with the big boys"? I certainly can, given the right chances I think a TON of guys that fish the local stuff around here can too. Not everyone has the money or the time to do that, but if I did I would love to be doing it. Just to show myself I can. I dont have to fish tournaments to have fun either.....I just enjoy the comradrie (sp?) and the competition

If I may ask what circuit(s) we are referring to? I understand if you dont want to say it publicly, but please email me. I am about to extend sponsorship to a few tournament circuits this year on behalf of All Star Rods and if what you say is true, I dont think a circuit like that is worthy of sponsorship.

Mini

·
Registered
927 Posts
Rich,

i dont know what club you are fishing with but it sounds like a bunch of corrupt politics. changes cant be made at the drop of a hat. and if you paid any membership fees to be in the club, i would get together with other members and protest the new rule. a club cant survive without members, therefore the members should have the right to vote on new ideas and rules. i fished with nbaa last season, they also have a classic at the end of the year with a boat/motor package as the top prize. i know that have mad changes regarding the classic this year. they have taken out the wild card and replaced it with a fishoff, kind of a last chance tournament for all the guys who do not qualify for the classic. i was notified of these changes a month ago. this is the way it should be done. the nbaa season doesnt start for months but the rules are already out there so everyone knows before getting in. this, i would imagine, will make most of the members happy. i know ther were some complaints in the past because the guys who fish all the events and "earn" there spot in the classic were having to compete with someone who just got "lucky" and were selected as a wild card.

though i have only fished comptetivly for one season, no one scares me. i think it all comes down to confidence. i fished last year against guys who have been fishing lsc for years and years and did well in all the events i fished. i know there are many anglers who are more "experienced" in tournament fishing than lil ol me, but i would hesitate to start lableing anyone as a "better angler" or the "best anglers". the guys who fish in the top consistantly are great at what they do but who is to say who is the best. fishing agianst these guys isnt scary to me. its exciting. i have a lot to learn and what better way to learn than to fish against these top dogs. i think the ones who are afraid to fish against the top guys have a problem with confidence, but on the other hand i know a lot of guys who fish tournaments as a hobby. the money or the glory isnt what is important to them, so these are probably the ones who have little confidence when fishing against theh guy who always wins.

i will also agree with you that we are fishing against the fish. you cant blame a guy for catching a winning stringer all the time, ultimatly the fish decide who wins and who whines. learn the fish, and you might find yourself cashing checks. thats the way i look at it. i have had some great days on the water and still missed the top spot by ounces, this has never made me upset. all of my accomplishments from last year, whether they were 3rd place fisnishes or 10th place finishes, i am very proud of. i have been fishing for 12 years now and feel that anything i do in a tournament is proof that i am learning and improving. i have never and will never be disappointed in myself for not winning or not placing in the top 5, or 10, or 20. i approach every tournament i fish as a learning experience. the day i lay blame or shame on myself is the day i didnt learn something.

i look forward to fishing against "better" anglers this year and every year. i hope to fish against john, and mac, and all the others on this network this year. i feel i have a lot to learn from these guys. and i know i will be extending congratulations and expressing gratitude to these guys and they will offer "better luck next time kid" to me. and thats what its all about.

as far as the club you are fished with, there are many great clubs around here. you may want to consider finding another one. stay away from one of the newer clubs tho, i wont mention any names, but there is a new one and i looked into it, i know why they are having a hard time signing members and i will leave it at that!

madman himself

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(madman24 @ Feb 12 2003, 08:44 AM)i approach every tournament i fish as a learning experience. the day i lay blame or shame on myself is the day i didnt learn something.

i look forward to fishing against "better" anglers this year and every year. i hope to fish against john, and mac, and all the others on this network this year. i feel i have a lot to learn from these guys. and i know i will be extending congratulations and expressing gratitude to these guys and they will offer "better luck next time kid" to me. and thats what its all about.
EVERY day on the water shoudl be a learning experience, not only tournaments.

Now dont out that "better" thing before my name.....you are gonna jinx me to high heaven by doing that....lol

Make sure you say hello if you see me at any event. Including shows and the like.

You know the morning before a tournament and the weigh ins are always fun (even more fun when you arent weighing in fish lol, but I still enjoy doing it).....even if I dont win, place or show I enjoy talking to everyone that I can. Like Basstrap said last year, alot of us would have even more fun if we would take our hands out of our pockets and extend a handshake to our fellow competitors.

I do have to admit it hurts when I get sooo close. Finished out of the money (money I DESPRATELY needed) by 2 oz. last year in a tournament and it hurt....not bad enough to ruin a great day on the water with a good friend!

Mini

·
Registered
718 Posts
Tournament Angler's,

I own and run many trails, I have done good things and I made mistakes. I can tell you that I wouldn't give a boat away as a raffel unless I was directed to by the sponsor at the start of the year!!! If I'm directed to randomly give a boat away, it better be free! I feel we need to reward those that excell not someone who is a lucky person.

I pay 80% at the ramp and that is cash! With prizes????? My sponsors have been very kind to me and because of this, the anglers win!

My schedule is not official as of yet for one major reason......I am waiting to get things lined up from a major sponsor. With Greater North Tournaments payout and numerous extras we can't commit to anything without our sponsors.

Most of our complaints have come from anglers that have had a poor showing, penalty assesed to them or from angler's that have know idea as to the hidden expences of a tournament. Basicly it's my fault that they couldn't find fish, It was my fault that a rule was broken and it's my fault that I haven't burdened the anglers with the permit, trophy, food, postage, printing and championship expences. Thankfully, many of our angler's are business owners and understand the cost of doing business and help explain these to the angler's that haven't seen this aspect of the industry.

I personally handle all 75+ of our tournaments. I have a certain way of doing business and at this point un-willing to jeopordize the flow of things. As the director and owner, I don't fish the events or qualify for a championship. Yes, I would love to participate in the event but I feel the quality of the events would suffer. I won't do that to my anglers.

There are many great trails, clubs and opens to fish. I don't know personally how they conduct business, but that is what this forum is for. Share the wonderful expeirences and not so wonderful ones. I personally have nothing negative to say about any trail, they all have their good and bad points. I know many of the directors, and I have nothing negative to say about them.

There are trails for ego's/ Bragging right's, budgetary needs and family/ free time needs. I feel Greater North Tournaments has trail's that will fall into all of the needed features with the exceptian of DRAW tournaments. There has not been a large enough request for that feature as of yet.

Everything that GNT has said, has happened! Many angler's said it couldn't happen, now these anglers openly admit that they were wrong and are coming back.

Please be patient with the schedule and changes for our 2003 season.

Sincerely,
Doug Phillips

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Oh so IT IS YOUR fault Don and I were late for the last tournament last year....!

I knew it couldnt have been that pea brained partner I have.....lol (I can say that because I know he soooo computer illiterate that he will never read this, unless someone tattles....lol)

Mini

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mini,

Hit print...fold the paper......lick the stamp....address and take to the post office.LOL

You guys fall into a different group. Most of the guys put responsibility where it lies, in themselves! There are so few that blame others for their misfortune but they seem to be the loudest.

Doug

·
Registered
148 Posts
I knew what circuit was being referred to before the name was even mentioned! This particular pro has taken a lot of flack for fishing the NBAA circuit. I agree with you guys--who cares who fishes what. Nobody should be banned from fishing any tournament because they are a successful fisherman. There are a lot of whiners out there who could probably become great fishermen if they worked hard at it instead of whining about who they're fishing against. Whoever wins the Classic should win the boat. Skeeter Warner should worry about running a quality circuit (like the old Tri-State) instead of worrying about changing rules whenever somebody whines about something. I was planning on fishing an NBAA weeknight circuit this year until he changed the deal with the boat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Now that the cat is out of the bag. My partner and I have fished the NBAA weeknight tournaments for the last three years making the classic 2 of those years. Last year in New York neither my partner nor I cought a fish in the two days of the tournament (pertty sad). But we had a great time, strengthened some friend ships, made a few new friends and learned what not to do.

When Skeeter announced at the classic banquet, that the sponser had requested, the boat be given away by a draw it was about even between those that thought it was a bad idea and those that thought it was a good idea because of the ringer ( "the accomplished pro"). Some of the guys (people) were complaining before the start of the tournament about the pro.
In my opinion it shouldn't matter who qualified to fish the classic. You pays your money and you takes your chances. If you are going to do any less than the best you can stay home. If you did the best you can there is nothing to complain about.

Like Mini said every experience is a learning experience.

"Time spent fishing is NOT DEDUCTED from ones life span"

John G

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Always remember that in a tournament you are fishing against the fish and yourself more than the other fisherpeople.

It doesnt matter if the "best" show up or not. I LIKE to have them show, due to my competitive nature. Other than that, I dont care who is there as long as my fish weigh more than anyones elses on that given day in that given tournament. If they dont, I WILL learn something that day that will help me get better. I dont expect to pay for that information, nor should I have to. I know I cant spend enough time on the water to check EVERYTHING, but if I do get a chance to get an overall picture of whats going on, I usually do better than if I didnt get that chance.

Mini

·
Registered
13 Posts
Whats next.....Handicaps like in bowling....

ok how many pounds do ya spot me....5lbs if I own a bass boat....20 if I'm in a canoe...

lol..

if you think of tournaments as PURELY a contest I think you are missing something in life. Sure it is a competition, But it is a way to enjoy our time on this planet, and meet friends new and old..

Life is too short to complain....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts