Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys and gals,
I think many of you know that I am privledged to sponsor a lot of tournaments, clubs, events and organizations around our state! This privledge comes with a lot of tough choices. So far I have been very happy with the results and choices that have been made. Sometimes I wonder if I might be missing something? So I thought I would ask for some input outside of the directors, presidents and owners opinions.

What influences your decision to fish a tournament or series? Or not to fish?

I would prefer that we do not get into any specfic organizations either positive or negative. Just the reasons! I don't want any hard feelings generated towards anyone if you don't mind!

I see a tremendous change in attendance from year to year! Why is this?
Why do you change organizations, clubs or open events?
Why fish local, regional or National?
What's important to you?

It is often a difficult decision on how to spend sponsorship money. I tend to lean towards which organizations benefit the angler, kids, environment and ultimately can impact my business? With this said you should know that I routinely get 15-50 requests for donations a week! Yes a week! Choosing is not always easy and saying no is even harder, but must be done!
So I thought maybe the fisherman could shed some light on the subject!

Thanks to those that choose to offer an opinion!

Tom at BPS!

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Hey Tom,

I hope you dont mind my opinion.

As an angler I have fished many tournaments, clubs, trails etc, for many years.

As a director I understand what the anglers are looking for. I answer many questions every day regarding this topic.

I will try to rate them in the order of importance not to me but what most of the anglers I know go by.

#1 - Schedule is by far the most important to most anglers
#2 - Word of mouth, have you heard good things about this organization, It's current members, it's director and what do the members have to say.
#3 - Prizes, pay-back and sponsors.
#4 - The director, this goes in hand with #2 but is a major deciding factor. Does the director have a website, is he organized, and what extra does he do for his members, reputation of the director and his organization.
#5 - Does the organization have a national championship, national prizes, and recognition at a national level.

I personally choose to fish an organization based on the following in this order. Most of the more serious anglers take a similar approach.

#1 - Recognition..... am I working towards a major goal? National championship? To win a boat or major prize money? Payback scale?
#2 - Scedule ... is it close to home, a lake I know, or a lake I have done well on in the past?
#3 - The organization it's self, is it big, reputable, and full of sponsors?

I personally dont mind traveling for big money but wont do it for small money. If it is a small money trail the lakes must be close to home. If it is a big money trail the traveling is not a big issue.

If you want I would be more than happy to disscuss this into more detail over the phone. It is hard to get the full insight via the net.

Feel free to give me a call if you like.

810-658-2540

·
Registered
795 Posts
Come on guys this is an opportunity you don't often get. Let the man know what you like and dislike! Sponsors play a big roll in tournaments today and this is your chance to voice your opinion to some one that can help.

As an angler;

My first thoughts are what body of water is it and what time of the season
Second payout percentage
Third reputation of governing body
Forth is there a membership fee (pet peeve)

Fifth late fees/entry dead lines
Sixth rules
Seventh creel limit (more the better, weed out the lucky ones)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Tom
.WHY FISH LOCAL
1. I feel with the work schedule of most anglers they like to keep it local one maybe 2 lakes or 3 close to home. As the price of travel goes up anglers will have fun close to home.
2. Not every one wants to be a Pro, they just enjoy a good time and some competition and a chance to win some money or a trophy (to some the trophy means more than the money)
3. It's hard enough to learn your own waters than run down to Kentucky to compete with them boys for the championship boat on their home water.
(Why do you change organizations,)
I feel there is some thing to offer everyone in tournament fishing circuits, some more some less, timing
Friendship and fellowship of fellow anglers.
Also the tournament director has a big influence on the tournaments outcome (all are top notch in our state)

This is my 2 cents worth.
Captain Mike Chamberlin
Tournament Director of Erie Anglers.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have fished tournys since the early 80's. To me at the present is schedule. I only like to fish Saturday tourneys. When FLW outdoors started holding their events on Sat that was Gold to me. Also is the amount of time I can get off work. I fish as many big tournys as I can farther away if Time offwork will allow. I should mention that I fish as a co-angler most times. But the opens I will only fish Sat 9 times out of 10. The money is nice but I fish for the competition. Phil

·
Registered
243 Posts
Great question:

I help run a club in Southeast Michigan called Fin-addicts. We are small with about 40 anglers. Currently we have no sponsors but wouldn't mind it!
We compete as a team event.

For me its really simple: we have a great group of guys that fish with us. It's a nice break because its not a cutthroat club. The prize money is not the draw to our club events, but more of a bragging rights type of circuit. We are competative but the guys are really helpful. You will often see a person from one team practicing with someone from another team. We always do an over night trip where we take over a campground and have a great time. When I get on the water of course i want to win but having a good time and making sure everyone gets back to the ramp in one piece is most important.

If i wanted to fish a high $$ tourney, the first thing i would look at is the location of the event. The next thing would probably be the rules and third would be the prizes.

Bassslayer said it "not everyone wants to be a pro"

But it sure is fun to act like it!!

Steve

·
Registered
319 Posts
1. Payout schedule,not so much the amount paid back but where does the money go. I have seen a few times where if you come in 1st you would'nt even be able to cover your expenses for that tournament, with no chance to get it back in a championship. I don't mind a lower payout if there is a reason(tanks, aerators,other equipment).
2. Participation- Not how many, but who and how they act on the water.
3. Schedule- A spread out schedule that covers all the seasons. I think this will give you the best fisherman at the end of the year.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Here are the 5 items that I look for:

1) Schedule - Does not need to be local, just places I want/can fish. A little variety is good. I also don't mind fishing lakes or launch locations that may pose a bit of a challenge.
2) Competition - I like trails/events where I know you are competing against good anglers. Greater satisfaction when you do well and that's what it's all about.
3) Ethics - The tournament director/staff as well as the anglers that compete must be honest. If suspect any favoritism, cheating, etc I'm gone.
4) Well run - The tournament director must strong. He's got to be heavy handed but fair. Must know how to run an efficient and fun weigh-in. The well being of and release of the fish must be a high priority.
5) Payout - must be inline with the entry fee

See you this summer!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I'm feeling winded tonight so I'll just say I'd take Alex's 4, turn them around 4, 3, 2, 1 and say that's pretty close to what I look for too.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Hey Tom,
Todays tournaments as a hole are run great,the LARGER payouts will draw a better field. Also don`t worry about the drop in attendance to much,alot has to do with the economy.Compare the stores profit to a year ago?
I personally will fish any tournament I can as long as I`m not having to work that day.
Time and money would be the 2 reasons. I would not want to fish an open if I `d had not enough time to pre-fish.
In closing, tournament fishin....... competition, the"hook-set",and the cash....and the prizes.......
I have fished in Kentucky & Tenn. also.
I think it make`s you a well rounded angler...........
...............THANK-YOU FOR ALL YOU DO..............

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great Feedback from EVERYONE! It is much appreciated.

Keep it coming!!!

Kimmel..............I can't believe you are short of wind ever!!!!

Let me Add a twist! If you could choose any lake in the state for a Championship tournament......other than St. Clair or Erie......what would it be? and why? I have a motive here guys so chime in!!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(djkimmel @ Apr 28 2004, 08:40 PM)I'm feeling winded tonight so I'll just say I'd take Alex's 4, turn them around 4, 3, 2, 1 and say that's pretty close to what I look for too.
Dude....I had 5

·
Registered
28 Posts
I,ve only fished a few tournaments so far but I think one of the most important things is how the weigh-in is conducted.my fifteen year old is interested in fishing tournaments and I would'nt want him listening to a bunch of bickering and unsportsmanlike conduct at the weigh-in.The kids are the future of our sport.

·
Registered
927 Posts
tom, other than st clair/erie/det river i would like to see something on saginaw bay.

im kinda bummed that the bfl doesnt swap one of the river tourneys for a saginaw bay tourney. i know they fished it a few years back. i have been wanting to get out there for over a year. what better way to learn it than to fish in the back of someones boat a few times.

madman himself

·
Registered
795 Posts
Dan feeling short winded????????? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

A Championship tournament with out St. Clair or Erie? hmmmm well the number of boats would play a big roll in that. If you have 75 or more you don't have many choices. I've never fished Saginaw Bay in a tournament, I think it would be nice but I have heard more stories of the weather going bad and boats getting trashed there then any where else.

With 75 boats or less I would say Kent Lake. If more then 75 then you would have to go north to Burt/Mullet or Elk/Torch, but I would rather take my chances on Saginaw Bay then drive that far north. If you had 35 or less I would then say Lakeville!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I agree with Madman on the BFL. Their schedule has turned me off the last few years. Anytime you have over half your tournaments at one location your not leveling the playing field..IMO

Roy has some good suggestions on Championship locations. It really depends on the amount of boats and the type of trail. Are they adventuruous or do they prefer home waters. Personally, I think the Championships should be a change of pace.. A lake that was not fished during the year's schedule. But I think that would turn more people off. In the end it is all about bringing people back next year.

A nice 20 boat lake would be Stoney Creek. The no-wake would add a unique twist and there are some awesome bass in that lake.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i heard one of the clubs has hooters girls at the weigh ins. i think it was active anglers. that would be worth checking out

madman himself

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
QUOTE(Alex @ Apr 28 2004, 09:26 PM)QUOTE(djkimmel @ Apr 28 2004, 08:40 PM) I'm feeling winded tonight so I'll just say I'd take Alex's 4, turn them around 4, 3, 2, 1 and say that's pretty close to what I look for too.
Dude....I had 5
HOLY #$%#$! (not really a swear word)

It's worse than I thought!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
The last time the BFL was on saginaw was in 2000, I haven't seen a big tournament on saginaw outside of spring since then. A few others I thought of Thunder bay and Charlevoix. Either one are worth the drive.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
-Grand Traverse Bay and/or Charlevoix,
-Thunder Bay (fishes smaller than it is),
-Burt/Mullett,
-Long Lake (Alpena),
-Houghton Lake (fishes smaller than it is),
-Saginaw Bay (I wish they would go back too, but it does seem to have 'tournament' weather and the BFL got a number of complaint calls),
-Wixom Lake (parking limited if large numbers of boats and better in the fall)
-Crystal Lake (Beulah - limited parking I believe)
-North/South Leelanau
-Elk/Torch (parking challenging)
-Hamlin (limited parking)
-Grand River (Grand Haven in the fall)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts