Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOAA radio said it was blowing 15mph out of the northwest gusting to 21 mph (as of the 5pm status). It sure felt stiffer than that today. There were a lot of sailors out today, some heeling over pretty good! It was fun except my daughter who never gets sick was queesy today.

Dan

·
Registered
310 Posts
Missed today, family stuff, but looks like today was sort of like yesterday where I got pretty jerked around by the gusts. Days like yesterday and today used to be more fun. Now that AARP is calling, days like that seem to become more work than fun after a few hours. Somehow didn't spill a drink even when heeled over near 40 degrees in some of those gusts. Experience does pay, I guess.
Does make docking fun when the wind is coming straight down the fairway and you have to make a quick 90 into the slip.

Also, just for fun, this link, if I did it right, takes you to the plot of the wind recordings from the NOAA station at Miller Marina. There's a similar one for direction.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php?sta...;time_label=EDT

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sailflow does not show the 'lulls' yesterday where we sat poof-poof waiting for wind and watching boats 1/4 mile away heeled at 30 degrees. But do notice how the direction changed!

http://www.sailflow.com/windandwhere.iws?r...mp;timeoffset=0

There was even one point where I could look north and see a boat heeled over with wind obviously coming from the north, and then look to the south and see a boat with spinnaker up with the wind out of th east...while I sat with nothing and getting pounded by confused waves and power boat wakes. It did get a bit more interesting though as the graph shows....

Dan

·
Registered
349 Posts
QUOTE(dceggert @ Jul 13 2009, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sailflow does not show the 'lulls' yesterday where we sat poof-poof waiting for wind and watching boats 1/4 mile away heeled at 30 degrees. But do notice how the direction changed!

There was even one point where I could look north and see a boat heeled over with wind obviously coming from the north, and then look to the south and see a boat with spinnaker up with the wind out of th east...while I sat with nothing and getting pounded by confused waves and power boat wakes. It did get a bit more interesting though as the graph shows....

Dan

that was probably me with the 'spinaker out of the east'.

Had a great sail tacking my way out to the light, then hoisted the spinaker for a run back to the mile. Made it to a couple miles off the shoal, in about 15 minutes it switched from the east at 5-8, to the west at 15-18, with a gust to 25, kept me on my toes for a few minutes there.

Another great sail on Lake St. Clair.

Hope your summers are going well.

Jeff

·
Registered
310 Posts
QUOTE(dceggert @ Jul 13 2009, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sailflow does not show the 'lulls' yesterday where we sat poof-poof waiting for wind and watching boats 1/4 mile away heeled at 30 degrees. But do notice how the direction changed!

Dan

A few years back on a day with strong, shifty winds primarily from the west I was hard on starboard with a sailboat approaching dead ahead a hundred yards or so on the reciprocal course. I was about to get irritated when I saw he was also on starboard (both boats Jib and main).
It was one of those WTF moments that never appear in the books.

Gotta love these St Clair winds.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Dan, slightly off topic, have your daughter try those elastic sea-sickness bands (buy them at the drug store, not a boat store though). My son who used to get sea sick almost every time he was on the boat NEVER got sea sick when wearing the bands. It's a simple little elastic band with a small plastic bead that presses down on a specific spot on the wrist. He grew out of the seasickness but we keep a couple sets of bands on board just in case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts