Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering heading out the Thursday night before Jobbie Nooner and spending the night somewhere on the lake. The Harley Ensign DNR ramp officially closes at 11pm, so i'm guessing i'll have to get there by then, but will they ticket/tow me if i'm there overnight? I don't remember seeing any signs prohibiting overnight parking at HEM, but i have at other DNR ramps. I have a yearly pass, of course.

Thanks, -JZ

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
We've done it, and we know people who've done it. The only thing we've had stolen was our trailer light connector thing (sorry, don't know the official term) off the truck.

If you do keep your truck/trailer there, remove anything removable and lock it up good. They don't lock the lot and we've never received a ticket.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just spent a week out on the lake aboard my boat with my rig parked there and and had no problems . I have also done this in the past .

G

·
I leave my rig there most every weekend (all weekend) and I have never had a problem. I would however do what Freckles does. Detach anything like your light connector that can easly be stolen. I never have though. I know I should.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Jun 15 2004, 05:47 PM)I leave my rig there most every weekend (all weekend) and I have never had a problem. I would however do what Freckles does. Detach anything like your light connector that can easly be stolen. I never have though. I know I should.

I must be missing something, Convincor. Both my connectors are permanantly attached to their respective wire harnesses on the trailer and truck.

I make sure that the trailer is locked securley to the hitch, and the hitch locked to the truck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have only had 1 incident there in 5 1/4 yrs, and have stayed out all night so many times I lost count. Two yrs. ago somebody that didn't know how to back-up a trailer broke one of the lights on the trailer.

G

·
What Christine was referring to is an adapter that goes between my truck and the trailer. The truck has an 8-way round connector and the trailer is a 4-way flat. What was so irritating about getting it stolen is that it's maybe a $5 or $6 part, but when you come back at night, there's nowhere to get another one and you've got no trailer lights. Just so some d***less theiving turd could get something for free...

G

·
Anyway, other than that we haven't had any issues there for overnight parking. Also in case you're wondering, the launch is closed at 11, but the exit is an automatic gate so you can still get out no matter when you get back.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Jun 15 2004, 06:13 PM)What Christine was referring to is an adapter that goes between my truck and the trailer. The truck has an 8-way round connector and the trailer is a 4-way flat. What was so irritating about getting it stolen is that it's maybe a $5 or $6 part, but when you come back at night, there's nowhere to get another one and you've got no trailer lights. Just so some d***less theiving turd could get something for free...
Understand now, thanks Bill. My truck has an L bracket off of the bumper next to the hitch where both the round 8 pin and 4 flat connectors permanently reside.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. I actually wasn't that worried about theft, but if there's one weekend to take extra precautions this is probably it.

I know what you mean about the trailer connectors - i once had mine cleanly snipped off. These pigtails also cost what, $5? And now i have to break out the soldering iron and heat shrink - i'd have given the coward the $5 to save the trouble.

G

·
Good point. I could have folded up a finskeroo and a note under it that said "take the five, leave the connector."

Oh well, I just lock it up now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i keep mine at metro overnight all the time, never a problem, and its not too far from harley ensign, security is always around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts