Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am really frustrated with this PC. I am waiting for my new one to come in. In the mean time, does anybody have a copy of 2000 NT that I can borrow for an evening?? I specifically want that operating system because it does not fragment and this PC can't run XP. I currently have ME and it pisses me off, more so within the last few days than ever before.
Grrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I never had much trouble with ME. What are you tring to do?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually NTFS file systems, and the MFT itself, fragment. This includes NT, 2k and XP.

Other operating systems, such as Linux do not suffer from file system fragmentation, and actually run faster the more fragmented a file system is. It has to do with how disk I/O is handled in a truly multi-user OS.

The Microsoft operating systems really suffer when disk fragmentation gets excessive. I have had a fragmented MFT hang up an NT server. It is way past time for a new Microsoft disk format.

I feel your Windows ME pain. ME was the worst operating system Microsoft ever released, and a heck of a big mistake.

XP home edition isn't all it should be either.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Can someone please help me. My problem is with my grandfathers computer. He dropped it off today, he has given up. It is a gateway with Windows ME. It is running like crap and slow as heck. He uses dial up and so do I, and while I have no problems on my computers here I hooked his up and I do get disconnected a lot from AOL. I ran Norton and came up with nothing, however he has never updated his program and is is Norton 2001. I purchased the update online, downloaded it and I cannot get it installed correctly. According to the website, I only needed the 2003 updates and not the enitire package. Once downloaded, I click on setup and it installs, tells me it needs to reboot. Upon rebooting, I get an error saying that:

"Windows could not upgrage the file %1 from %2, %1:%2.
Windows could not upgrade one or more system files before starting.
Windows may not start or run properly.
If windows fails to start, run setup again.

Press any key to continue...."

I press a key and it says:

"Completed apdating files, continuing to load windows."

When it starts, I get an error that says:

Errror starting program

The MSIEXEC.EXE file is linked to missing export MSI.DLL:22.

Click OK.

When I click OK it tells me that I need to reboot to install the Norton 2003 updates and the cycle starts again. Now I have read the ME system cannot get the worm so is there something else I shoud be doing? I have not un-installed the original version of Norton since I am only installing the update I was under the impresion I did not need to, is that correct? I am getting mixed signals from there website about this. Sometimes I read I need to uninstall the original, sometimes it says no. I am lost and the tech support seems to be nonexistant at this point do to the worm outbreak. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Ya know...I'm still running 98 1st edition with no problems...everytime I go to upgrade I hear of a bunch of problems...why should I upgrade???????

THANKS BILL! <_<

Had to correct spelling before snow corrects it for me. <_< <_<

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
QUOTE(FourWinns @ Aug 17 2003, 08:26 PM)The MSIEXEC.EXE file is linked to missing export MSI.DLL:22.

Click OK.

When I click OK it tells me that I need to reboot to install the Norton 2003 updates and the cycle starts again. Now I have read the ME system cannot get the worm so is there something else I shoud be doing? I have not un-installed the original version of Norton since I am only installing the update I was under the impresion I did not need to, is that correct? I am getting mixed signals from there website about this. Sometimes I read I need to uninstall the original, sometimes it says no. I am lost and the tech support seems to be nonexistant at this point do to the worm outbreak. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
FourWinns: Try to find the help you need HERE. It is annoyances.org and they have a boatload of information on how to fix quirky screw-ups in different Windows operating systems. The ME link is on the left when you enter the site - good luck!!

For the record...I have ME on my pc. It is a love/hate relationship

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Distant Horizon, how well will or do microsoft programs operate outside of a microsoft enviroment?
Great links Shannon, thank you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am not quite sure what your question is Hazy_Memory?

Were you asking about emulation and running M$ stuff under other *nix operating systems?

If you clarify a bit, I'll try to give you an answer.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Distant_Horizon @ Aug 18 2003, 07:16 AM)I am not quite sure what your question is Hazy_Memory?

Were you asking about emulation and running M$ stuff under other *nix operating systems?

If you clarify a bit, I'll try to give you an answer.
possibly. You lost me with emulation.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Four_Winns...

If I were you, I'd wipe your Grandfather's machine clean, and re-install everything from scratch. I am not sure that you will be able to get things resolved any other way.

Once you get the operating system re-installed (wipe the disk clean before re-installing with a format) look for the latest drivers for all of your hardware and install those (don't use any of the drivers from Windows Update, these will usually be wrong).

A lot of the machines out there use older versions of Winmodems and have always had issues with dial-up connectivity with these. A Winmodem relies on the CPU of the computer to do the most of the work that the modem would ordinarily do. Many of these early modems had connectivity issues, and were affected by the CPU loading of the machine. When the CPU was loaded heavily, they'd drop packets. Modern machines have plenty of excess CPU horsepower, and this is no longer much of an issue unless you want to run non-M$ operating systems.

If you have to replace a modem, get a full modem, not a Winmodem. You usually can't do things like voice mailboxing with a real modem, but dial-up connectivity and faxing is much better with one. They come in internal and external styles.

I am not sure if modem connectivity was an issue with this particular machine, so let me know if you have additional questions. Lots of times new drivers really help.

Tell me more about the particulars of the machine... CPU speed, hardware, etc.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hazy.

Windows 2000 is a very stable operating system, make sure you update it to Service Pack 4. I would also recommend 192MB of ram, Win 2000 SP4 will fly with this amount of ram.

I also agree that Windows Me is the worst operating system created, however I believe Win98 users should seriously consider upgrading at this time. A good upgrade path for most 98 users would be the above Win 2000 configuration. It has relatively low system requirements and will still be supported for quite a few years to come, and your inevitable jump to a future XP style OS will not be as confusing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Shannon, thanks for your help. I appreciate it so much. This is really testing my patience. I will start trying the suggestions in the links and hopefully something will work.

Distant_Horizon, thanks for your tips also, though I am not sure I am skilled enough in this area to do the things you suggested. I guess I could just try it, what is the worst that could happen, the thing is already broke, right. I have a feeling I will eventually have to venture down this road though. This was his first computer and I had to show him everything to do, he knew nothing, not that I am an expert though. He would download anything and click on whatever, he didn't know anybetter. I was constantly taking things off and having to change things because he was messing with things and then could not undo them. As far as particulars of the machine go, it is a gateway with a pentium 4 and 128.0 MB RAM. He just walked into the store and that is what they sold him. I turned the resource meter on and it is telling me the system resources are 48% free, user resources 45% free, and GDI resources 84% free. Does this sound right?

Once again, thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've got to second Merlin's recommendation that now might be a good time to upgrade to Windows 2000. Support for Windows 98 will end soon, as will patches, security updates and the like.

It isn't so different from the look of 98 that you'd have much trouble transitioning either.

Win 2k will run with 128 megs of RAM, but RAM is so cheap these days, why not get another 128 megs and pop it in. The additional memory will make a big difference, and it's dirt cheap these days.

I suspect you are correct in your assumption that the biggest issue with this machine is all of the junk that was installed by your Grandfather. Lots of folks add all kinds of things that they either don't need, some that they install by mistake, and other's that they are fooled into installing. Lots of applications aren't the good citizens that we'd like them to be either.

If you can wipe it clean and start over, that'll probably help a lot.

Let me know if you need help with some of the procedures I suggested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts