Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if you can completely uninstall Internet Explorer from Windows XP Pro or is it too integrated? I want to do a "clean reinstall" of IE without wiping the drive and reinstalling windows.

I picked up some kind of virus or something. It stays dormant until I start up IE. Then I get a ton of pop-ups, I continually here clicks as other windows open (briefly) and on occasion several different wav files play by themselves. One is a roar/snarl kind of like in the game Doom. Another is cheesy 60s si-fi type computer beeps This continues even if I exit IE and wont stop until I reboot.

I have installed a pop-up blocker and there are less pop-ups but the other symptoms remain. I have also run several anti-virus programs and nothing was found.

I have tried to remove IE with add/remove programs in control panel. It is no longer listed in the installed programs list but it is still there and runs.

I am up to date with all of Microsoft's patches and fixes.

For now I'm using Netscape with no problems but I would like to go back to IE. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
QUOTE(Boater2be @ Jan 4 2004, 09:07 PM)Does anybody know if you can completely uninstall Internet Explorer from Windows XP Pro
No, you can not......

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(NoCode @ Jan 4 2004, 08:57 PM)QUOTE(Boater2be @ Jan 4 2004, 09:07 PM) Does anybody know if you can completely uninstall Internet Explorer from Windows XP Pro
No, you can not......
Figures .

Any other suggestions before I spend 2 days reloading my system?

·
12,052 Posts
Dont know what to tell you on that one. Wierd.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(NoCode @ Jan 4 2004, 09:05 PM)Did you try a spyware / adware remove program such as "spybot search & distroy"?
Haven't tried that one. Do you have a link?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Better but not 100%. There are a lot less pop-ups now. However there seems to be something that keeps accessing the run32.dll file for about one second at a time. I barely had time to read the file name wile monitoring the running processes. When this happens it deactivates whatever window I’m am working in. I have to click back in the window to continue what I am doing. Major pain in the a$$. Again this only happens after I start IE.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
try Ad-Aware from Lavasoft. The standard Ad-Aware is free.

Lavasoft

last review I saw on TechTV they said that neither Spybot or Ad-Aware gets them all by themselves, but running them both usually does a pretty good job at finding stuff.

make sure you have the latest updates for each of them. kind of like updating your anti-virus definitions.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jan 5 2004, 08:23 PM)Stinger is a virus checker...

windows update

another virus detector

spybot

good luck......let us know what happens. sorry if i did any repeats here, been busy today.....

McAfee found nothing

Stinger found nothing

House call (another virus detector) found nothing

Ad-aware and Spybot installed and ran.

The problem still seems to come and go.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Rather than re-installing Windows, you can repair it by selecting repair instead of install. This will restore Windows to the original configuration without wiping out the rest of your programs or files. This doesn't always work, but I'd try it before spending the time to re-install your whole system!!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Sorry, B2B......it's good you didn't find anything....still, problem not solved.....see what NoCode says.....he seems to be the wiz of puters 'round these parts

I'd personally re-install windows....just do it w/o reformatting, just a install over what you have already. You may have to change some settings after, but you will still have all your info on your hard drive.

Also, do a back up since you are having probs.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
The kicker is if I was paying more attention to what I was doing a couple of months back I would probably have a quick fix. I had to turn off the system restore feature to install a certain piece of software. When you do that Windows erases ALL of your restore points. (Thank you Microsoft).
I of course I forgot to turn it back on after the install leaving me with no restore points.

Intimidator, welcome aboard! Enjoy the board this is a fun place to hang out with a lot good information and great, friendly people.

Running the repair tool looks like my next option. Thanks I forgot that XP had that.

Threecrabs, having 2 100gig and 2 smaller hard drives I'm sure glad I was able to pickup a surplus 8mm SCSI tape back up from work. Even at that it takes over a day to do a full backup.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts