Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
QUOTE(gunner @ Sep 26 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>1)What are to pro and cons for doing a fresh oil change before your boat go in storage?

2)Is it really needed?

3)And do you also change it again in the launch season?

change it now, get that contaminated oil out of the engine, the new oil will not degrade over the winter, just drop the boat in and go

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ask a hundred different people and you will get a hundred different answers. I used to do my oil changes at the beginning of the season. But the past few years I've been told that you will build up moisture in your motors (Drives if you have them) and it is best not to let that sit over the winter. If you get a concrete answer, do tell...

Same with fuel tanks. Keep them full, or leave them just about empty? For years it was fill em' up, now they say to leave them dry.

As long as your maintenence at some point gets done, I would say you're good. My $.02

On and on it goes.....

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Always change in the fall for the reasons 1searay1 posted. Also, you should use oils specifically rated for marine use. Additives are used to help reduce corrosion common with marine usage.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 09/09
205 Posts
Why trust someone opinion? Your engine is an important part of the machinery on your vessel. Check your engine manufacturer's recommendations in your owners manual or service manual. They know what is best for the products they sell. Look under layup or storage.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Definitely at the end of the season. There are a lot of contaminates in the oil after it's been running for a while, and leaving those in will degrade components in the engine after time. I have heard specific concerns related to bearing surfaces. I have NEVER heard of concerns with new oil left in the engine over the winter and being used the following season.

As to the gas... I always treat it and leave it more than 2/3 full. It is MUCH better to run it completely dry, but I've never had the opportunity or wanted to take the risk of running out before I got to the hoist, or just wasting it running it until it was gone. Different if you have smaller tanks/motors. If I had an outboard or removable tank, I would definitely drain the tank and run the engine dry, with a treated gas.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(1searay1 @ Sep 26 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gunner @ Sep 26 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>1)What are to pro and cons for doing a fresh oil change before your boat go in storage?

2)Is it really needed?

3)And do you also change it again in the launch season?

change it now, get that contaminated oil out of the engine, the new oil will not degrade over the winter, just drop the boat in and go

Same here with good results

and leave the fuel at 2/3rds with a good stabalizer in it.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Been changing ours at the beginning of the season. I can understand why you would want to do it at the end though to avoid the contaminants sitting in your engine over the winter. Do whatever...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have always done my oil changes at the end of the season. That is what is recommended by Merc as well. Got this from the FAQ's on their web site.

Q. Is it better to change my engine oil/gear lube at the beginning or end of the season?
A. It is better to change the oil and gear lube at the end of the season, prior to storage. Lubricants naturally accumulate moisture, combustion by-products, and other contaminants during use. It can be detrimental to store an engine or drive with large amounts of these contaminants present.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
QUOTE(SKUZA @ Sep 28 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Been changing ours at the beginning of the season. I can understand why you would want to do it at the end though to avoid the contaminants sitting in your engine over the winter. Do whatever...

Same here. I dont think it matters much one way or the other.

Those contaminants are there anyway - unless you flush the motor many times. Moisture is there either way.

·
Registered
921 Posts
QUOTE(CMB @ Sep 28 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(1searay1 @ Sep 26 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>change it now, get that contaminated oil out of the engine, the new oil will not degrade over the winter, just drop the boat in and go

x2

x3 but I do run it at least one more time to get the new oil circulated in the engine before the long winter. Outdrive service also gets done in the Fall.

tg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.