Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
ALL STAR RODS, ect. look at all the line guide's for cracks or burr's, that can fray your line. Make sure rod tips are secure. Replace if neccessary. So many can simply be replace by heating them up with a lighter till the glue starts to melt, and be pulled off with needle nose. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to let someone who knows what there doing to do it.. I have no problem with that. Make sure the screw ring screws up and down the seat correctly. Clean the rod with Simple Green cleaning solvent dry it... And wipe down with Armor All, DON'T USE ARMOR ALL ON THE HANDLE. The simple green will make the cork look like new again. Using a Q-tip on the line guide's will tell you if there cracked or or have burr's. Store in a cool dry place. Not a damp garage.

Add any suggestions please:

Reels should be oiled and grease according to manufacture's suggestions... Some people use W D 40 and spray it all over the reel. I prefer LUBE ONE !!!!!! than wipe it off... Don't get any in the reel clutch if there is one.... Duraglit is also a good product and is highly recommended. ALWAYS store reels with the drags in the off position, loosen them up for storage, and store in a cool dry place not a damp garage.

Lure's should be given the once over and hooks checked.. replace hooks before you loose the fish... Also store in a cool dry place. Not a damp garage. Take the time to care for your equipment and it will take care of you... Have it all ready for next year so you can grab it and go. Replace line next year and it will be nice and fresh. straighten out those spinner baits.

Anyone please add any helpful steps in winterizing your equipment proberly...

h2o<----------says... do it right or don't do it at all..

·
Registered
666 Posts
When you throw that Champ away just let everyone know. I am sure there are a few that would put up with that Marnier already broken in.

I used to clean things up, but anymore about all I do is loosen up the drag on the reels. I don't even both taking off the baits that I had on at the end of the season.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I do almost everything H2o mentioned but I do have to ask, What does loosening the drag do?

I always bring all my gear in the house and I spend my winter nights cleaning and maintaining while waiting for spring to arrive.

I try to get most of it done before x-mas so anything that needs replacing goes directly on my x-mas list.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
East Coast: Cold tempertures alone will not damage your reels. It's the rapid rise and fall of extreme winter temperatures which can produce stress due to expansion and contraction within the reel. Also, the consequent rise and fall of humidity can result in condensation, which can then freeze and cause problems, or at the very least, promote corrosion.

All things considered, storing your reels inside during the winter is a much better idea.

When you loosen your drags you relieve pressure on the drag washers!!!!!! Wraping the reel in a lint free cloth so air can circulate , but dust is deterred.

Hey that's why there's engineers.. to help keep things in good working order.

h2o<------------says hope this helps!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts