Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I learn to winterize? I looked in my seloc shop manual and all it gives you is a checklist. I have mid-90's Mercruiser 350's and would like to learn how to do this myself.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Seloc is not a terrific manual. The Mercuiser Maintenance Manuals are much better, and you can find them on ebay pretty easy.

I hate to see anybody give advice on winterizing, just because if you hose it up, you are going to be calling Michigan Motorz for a new short block next year.... Much better to get the manual and follow it step by step until you are comfortable doing it. That way, you have the proper references on hand.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Once you do it yourself, you will wonder why they charge so much to do it at the marinas. 350's are very easy to do. I will be doing my boat the week of Oct5 thru Oct9, if your boat will be on blocks then I will be glad to show you how.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all, thanks sparky888. I downloaded the service manual I needed. Thanks also to Gunner for offering to help.

2nd, is it really this easy?

Remove cylinder block drain plugs
Remove manifold drain plugs (or hose if no plug)
Remove engine water circulating pump hose
Remove raw water pump inlet hose
Remove power steering fluid cooler hose
Remove thermostat and pour in red pop.

Is this really all that is being done to winterize an engine? Besides fuel treatment and fogging?

And I also see all you have to do to fog is pour some 2 cycle into the fuel filter and run for 2 minutes?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Sman0624 @ Sep 25 2009, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Couldn't hurt to change the motor oil/filter and the lower unit oil too.

I always change the oil in the fall before I put it away. As far as the drives, I would still have those professionally done. I was speaking strictly about engines.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One other question. How much antifreeze do I need for a small block engine (350)?

Generator?

I am thinking of doing the oil changes, and winterizing the engines and generator. Then leave the drive service, water system, AC, to the mechanics.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(Suck My Wake @ Sep 27 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am thinking of doing the oil changes, and winterizing the engines and generator. Then leave the drive service, water system, AC, to the mechanics.
I do just the oposite.. I do all of my fresh water systems and leave my engines and generator to the mechanics.. I figure if I screw up the engines or generator then I have to pay to fix them, but if they don't winterize them properly then they have to fix them.. A couple hundred out of my pocket for them to do it is worth it for my peace of mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts