Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having my wisdom teeth removed in a few weeks..

All four are impacted... <_<

I am not sure what to expect...

Also, what kind of diet is there following the procedure?
My doctor gave me all the info, but that. I am sure they will tell me the day of surgery, however I need to shop before hand.

An info you can provide would be a big help!

Thanks

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just had all 4 pulled in may! I was real nervious about it. Or should I say scared shi*less! Here's how it went. I was nervious about being knocked out as I have never had anestesia before so I told the dentist to do it only if he had to. When I got there he said it would be easier to do the knock out thing so I said OK do it. I woke up 30 minuites later and said when you going to do this thing and he said you're done! It was no big deal! The antibiotics he gave me made me sick as hell so I stoped taking them. The percosets and tylenol he perscribed were dreamy though! My lower right wisdom tooth was imbeded in the jaw bone and he had to drill it out. That was a new experience in pain but the Tylenol helped. It hurt when he took the stiches out but felt a lot better afterwords. As far as diet goes, just eat all the normal stuff you eat but take smaller bites and chew slowly.
Have them do it on a friday morning and just sit on your a$$ all weekend and you should be fine by Monday.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I don't remember it being too awful. I think they gave me gas and an IV. They told me that I probably won't remember anything. I was knocked out quick and before I knew it I was waking up... pretty groggy feeling, but not too bad. I didn't have impacted teeth or anything major, just removing mainly to prevent future problems.

I don't recall too much pain the days after either. of course they gave me some nice big horse pills, which I saved a couple for bad hangover headaches.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Gary had all 4 of his done over 15 years ago and they were impacted. They knocked him out and within the hour he was done. I think he was fine with the antibiotics and the pain pills. He was quite sore though. He got "dry socket" with one. Once the stiches were out he felt better. I think he used an ice pack too.

He just ate soft foods for a few days. You can eat regular food with small bites too if you feel well enough. You probably won't feel like eating right away anyways. I think they told him not to use straws either because that would put too much pressure on the stitches.

Just keep taking your pain pills and do as they advise and you will be fine.

·
LSCN Sponsor
142 Posts
Good luck,

I had 4 impacted. I was swollen for two weeks and in terrible pain. The doc wanted to do it in 2 seperate procedures. I told him to take them all or none. I knew I wouldn't want to go back. Be careful not to get dry sockets that added to my pain. Maybe my doc wasn't the best or maybe I just had a mess to deal with.
Best advice just do it all in one trip and hope for the best.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(Baby Doll @ Jun 22 2004, 09:08 PM)Gary had all 4 of his done over 15 years ago and they were impacted. They knocked him out and within the hour he was done. I think he was fine with the antibiotics and the pain pills. He was quite sore though. He got "dry socket" with one. Once the stiches were out he felt better. I think he used an ice pack too.

He just ate soft foods for a few days. You can eat regular food with small bites too if you feel well enough. You probably won't feel like eating right away anyways. I think they told him not to use straws either because that would put too much pressure on the stitches.

Just keep taking your pain pills and do as they advise and you will be fine.

PAIN

I am surprised you didn't tell the story where I was flirting with the nurse <_<

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Howdy Boss,

I had mine done when I was in the Navy. Went in at 8 with my records, was out at 8:30 with all four gone. No knock out stuff then, only novacaine. By the time I got home the bleeding had pretty much stopped, no stitches either, Navy dentists were uncaring people. Took the kid to day care as Deb was leaving for work. Was suppose to pick him up at 4 or 5 or whatever but they did give me wonderful pain pills which I took of course and was knocked out on the couch til the next day. Luckily the neighbor saw that and took care of the kid for me til Deb got home from work. As for food, just do soft stuff or soups. No straws. The sucking on them causes the clot to come loose. That also is the cause of dry socket. they'll heal in a couple days and the pain will be gone too. It isn't that big a deal as long as there aren't too many complications. Good luck!

Randy

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I had mind done back when I was in high school or shortly after. I had the doc put me out. I figured why sit through all of that when I could just sleep through it. I was swollen and bruised for about a week but the pain was pretty much gone in 3 days. Thank god for Tylenol IIIs
I mostly slept for the first 2 days.

My brother was back to normal in 2 days. <_<

I don't remember any special diet but I do remember NO STRAWS and NO SMOKING.

Good luck. I hope things go easy for you.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
The dry socket is caused from sucking....such as through a straw, cigarette....

First one some idiot tried to pull straight out....thankfully I was awake and told him to drill it into quarters <_<
The other two I went to a different oral surgeon and he drilled them into quarters w/o a problem. Both times I was awake...nobody knocking me out

Did get dry socket with the first one....Painful, bubbling feeling. Don't' suck on anything until it's healed. I mean anything!!! (hahaha, Snow)

oooppsss....only had three

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jun 23 2004, 07:50 AM)Did get dry socket with the first one....Painful, bubbling feeling. Don't' suck on anything until it's healed. I mean anything!!! (hahaha, Snow)
What about blowing?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I had all 4 of mine that were impacted out together... Dont smoke that might cause dry socket, extreamly cold HURTS and the drugs to get make it all worth wild. You'll be fine!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Don't worry Boss- i had mine done a few years ago-- and you know what a chicken i am!!!
I had no problem with them at all... a little swelling, but not bad- Are they putting you to sleep? I think that is the best way... you do not 'member anything.
And make sure you listen to everyone about sucking- DON'T DO IT.... thankfully i did not get dry sockets, but i heard they are not fun.
Good luck chickster!!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone, good advice so far!

I think I am more scared of what the fews days after will be like. They are putting me out. However, when I am under "medical stress" I have a tendancy to pass out. This would be after the surgery. It has happened to me before and I know I get that from my Dad.

I will make sure I shop before hand for what Jeff can feed me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
All 4 of mine were impacted. Took 20 minutes to remove. Anesetic gave me a huge headache. Had them removed on Thursday; went out on Saturday. Looked like a chipmunk though. Don't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well, mine was interesting
15 years ago they gave me the anestesia then said oops we were suppose to have you watch the video first so I was watching the video a few minutes later I wasn't sure what was going on then before I knew it another lady came in and I got a double dose of anastesia.
After the procudure they kept trying to wake me up. I could hear voices I couldn't talk and it took everything I had just to open my eyes for a second.
Slept through the next few days. Didn't feel anything.

But when I woke up felt like the twilight zone.
I didn't believe people what day it was. I asked everyone that I ran into what time and day was it. It took a while to be convinced.
I felt like I was cheated out of 3 days of my life.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Word of advice - get knocked out! All the horror stories i heard were from people who were awake for the procedure. I had all 4 (2 impacted) of mine removed at once and was out drinking the same night
Not much pain either - i only used like 3 of my Vicodin. I really believe having no memory of the procedure is what made it so easy.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Im goin in this friday to get mine done. Im pissed cause Ill be missing Jobbie, but the one has been hurting for the past couple weeks. Ive gone through a couple tubes of anusol already. Ill let you know how it goes. All I know is Ill prolly be fine after I have 30 Vicodin to make the world go away afterwards.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
when I was 17. Pain and soreness for 2 weeks. first day or two I cound't open my mouth far enough to get down a grilled patty melt. yeah ouch.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Well its the day after I had my teeth removed, all i can say is i NEED A CIGARETTE and vicodin isnt as strong as i was told. I havent tried to chew anything yet, still too sore. Yesterday felt much better, whatever they knocked me out with works pretty good. I should have had all my teeth done at once. could have been over a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts