Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a result of trying to better myself and my future, I am seriously considering law school and will be taking the LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) which is about a 5 hour proficiency exam. By the time most of you read this I will be sweating on a test. Up at 7am and have to be there by 8:30am. One more attorney needed right? Not sure which area of law I will go into, but I am considering corporate law, intellectual property and patent law (because my technical and engineering background), or perhaps even criminal. Who knows. I have some time to figure that one out. I have to do well on the test first and then get accepted to a law school. My fiance is younger than me and is getting her paralegal certificate and then hopefully going onto law school as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Sep 25 2009, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As a result of trying to better myself and my future, I am seriously considering law school and will be taking the LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) which is about a 5 hour proficiency exam. By the time most of you read this I will be sweating on a test. Up at 7am and have to be there by 8:30am. One more attorney needed right? Not sure which area of law I will go into, but I am considering corporate law, intellectual property and patent law (because my technical and engineering background), or perhaps even criminal. Who knows. I have some time to figure that one out. I have to do well on the test first and then get accepted to a law school. My fiance is younger than me and is getting her paralegal certificate and then hopefully going onto law school as well.

Good luck, we always need ambulance chasers. just kiddding

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
good luck hope it works out.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I golfed with a guy last week that was an engineer for 8-10 yrs. and now he is just starting his practice as a patent attorney. He seemed happy.

·
3,236 Posts
If you don't do well the first time do not get discouraged. If you haven't taken one already then you can take a prep class or buy one of the home programs to prepare you better for that test. If you like the patent stuff then go for it. Plenty of jobs and tons of money. I do more of a general practice focusing on family, civil, and crminal law. A lot less hours, make your own schedule, and plenty of time for hunting and fishing.
That is why I chose this area versus the patent or another type of specialty law. We refer that stuff out and get a cut anyhow. That being said you can not beat the money if you specialize but you will be putting in a ton of hours especially as the new guy. Good luck whatever you decide and feel free to PM me if you have any questions as you progress.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm responses. I took off and went up north to work on blinds etc for the rest of the weekend. I won't find out the results for a few weeks. I think I did ok. I did purchase one of those work books to prepare for the test. It was a little harder than I expected, but I am good at testing.

Either way, if I have to take it again, I will.

Tony, I have heard that about corporate law as I have a couple of family members who are attorneys as well. They said that any type of corporate/patent law you are usually the gopher and get the tasks no one wants to deal with your first couple of years and hours can be 60-70 hours per week in many cases. You have to put in your time. I have some time to think about what I want to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts