Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,,,,heres the scoop. My daughters boyfriends family has a place on Wixom Lake. He will be spending the summer up there and my daughter wants me to take her up there fishing.

Has anybody ever fished it?

Any suggestions?

Is there anything to watch out for?

Dan

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Yeah - watch out for the 3 million stumps in the lake and a few thousands rocks if you go a ways up either arm. You need to know the channel real well if you go past the first bridge on the Tittabawassee arm and past the 2nd major bend in the Tobacco (especially past the bridge).

Once you learn the channel, you can run it pretty safe. It gets real shallow and rocky on the Tobacco side - canoe water - about a half mile past the bridge. You can make it all the way to the next dam on the Tittabawassee side in regular water and up although it is generally very shallow up past the 2nd bridge.

Some of the points on the big part of the Tittab. side stick out a ways, but aren't too tricky. A few stumps, but shouldn't be real risky. Just stay in the middle from the dam to the 1st bridge on that side. There is a treacherous bar near the dam on the Tittab. side going to the bridge under M-30 to go into the Tobacco side. I've seen lots of boats bottom out and/or hit stumps there. Just go slow along the dam narrows. The bridge is no wake.

Very interesting fishery, but can be tough at time. Better often on weekdays - I think they tend to pull more water and create more current. A good starting point for bass can be docks. The weed/stump flats north of the 1st bridge on the Tittab. side are loaded with pike at times.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
IN my opinion the fishing is the best in the main lake so stay in the main lake and youshouldn't have to many worries about boat hazards.

I preffer to use top water, tubes and texas rig grubs as my primary means of catching Bass.

Wixom is an awsome lake very good fishing for largemouth, smallmouth, white bass, and walleye.

Have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts