Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that smallies taste pretty good and want to try some. I was wondering if anyone has been fishing the wolcott mill for smallies and has been having any sucess. I plan on using a 4wt fly rod? Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
QUOTE(ice fishing newb @ Jun 20 2009, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've heard that smallies taste pretty good and want to try some. I was wondering if anyone has been fishing the wolcott mill for smallies and has been having any sucess. I plan on using a 4wt fly rod? Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated.

that river is flooded

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I grew up fishing very small streams for smallmouth. When I moved up here to Michigan and did not have a boat yet, I spent a summer afternoon/evening in that area. I caught 3 chubs and did not see a bass. Didn't seem like it had enough holes and seemed to be too shallow for too many stretches from my experience. If you go, hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
North Branch of the Clinton River at Wolcott Mill? I didn't know you could fish that as I did not see anything in the park guide about fishing there. I always presumed it to be off limits to us anglers. Are we allowed to fish that part of the river inside the park?
I always wanted to try that spot, but was never sure if we could fish there or not.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I wouldn't park at the mill itself, they may not allow that. I think I parked a mile or so downstream at a bridge and waded upstream for a good 1-2 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
used to fish that all the time with waders. only thing we ever caught were suckers and chubs. the pond next to the mill is filled with huge gills though if you can sneak a pole there. but never had anyone say anything about fishing there. you should be fine in the park

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(stormchaser5399 @ Jun 20 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>North Branch of the Clinton River at Wolcott Mill? I didn't know you could fish that as I did not see anything in the park guide about fishing there. I always presumed it to be off limits to us anglers. Are we allowed to fish that part of the river inside the park?
I always wanted to try that spot, but was never sure if we could fish there or not.

I called the park office and they said that you are allowed to fish that part of the clinton river. Now I just need to find some time so I can go up there and give it a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts