Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Returning off the lake last week on a quite windy day with my wife at the helm, I asked if she would like me to take over. She had driven the boat several times, and docked it a couple times since we got it at end of July.

"I would like the practice in windy conditions" she says, and proceeds to come in the channel, pass our slip and turn around in tight quarters so she can head back into the wind... then pulls in right into the slip perfectly. This is all with a single screw 27ft.

There were numerous people on back of their boats watching, so it seemed like added pressure. Some had the look of "my gosh, it's a WOMAN driving that boat". Our neighbor gal remarked to her husband, "geez, she docked the boat, I want to do that".

I am just wondering how many gals are out there driving the boat; docking; or taking it out themselves. I hear from some women that they "aren't allowed" to drive the boat . . . and some who just aren't interested.

Just curious, as I don't see too many women drivers.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
I just had this conversation with Hazy this morning. I've driven my boat many times, but shy away from docking it. I've been a boater since '98 and I'm a little nervous to learn. I'm usually not that way.

I know I should learn because it's just the smart thing to do, especially for emergency purposes or just the good old too much too drink purpose!
I'm sure I could if needed, but it would be a bumpy landing!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Deuce-Five @ Aug 29 2003, 10:50 AM)most people don't have a death wish

You must now have one!!!

I don't captain my 28 footer, but I have and will drive smaller vessels. Even know how to load a boat unto a trailer (w/o powerloading).

There are a number of chicks out there with boats......My aunt has a bigger boat than mine and has no problems docking it.

Eddie's a boat beutch!!!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(btenn @ Aug 29 2003, 10:51 AM)There`s a lady on this site Edna but we call her Fast Eddie (Cross dresser) she drives a boat well.

and to top it off, that Edna is one hot piece of arse!!!!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
my wife drives ours but she prefeers to sit in the back and enjoy the view of the lake and the time. there is a girl few slips down from me that has a 26 sea ray that when she goes out ive never seen any guys on her boat just women. i think its good for woman to know how to dock case iam to drunk at end of day.
once when we got our first boat she started driving i wasnt paying attn just sitting in back she got on wrong side of bouy next thing i knew boat came to sudden stop.whoops just said chaulk it up to learning,so you dont do next time. was a bit of work getting off sand bar for sure.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've been piloting boats ever since I was 8. As a teenager I always took out my parents boat by myself...I had to teach hubby what to do. These days I just prefer to sit back and enjoy the ride with a Rum Runner in hand!

·
Registered
465 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Aug 29 2003, 10:08 AM)there is a girl few slips down from me that has a 26 sea ray that when she goes out ive never seen any guys on her boat just women.
Heh, heh.
Do they come back in smelling like fish, but have an empty live-well??!!!

"Can you hit that trim-tab for me?" I could go on & on.....

Yeah, my ol' lady drives, but not at the helm. Yells at me from the galley! (where she belongs)........

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
my better half hates to drive the boat. i try to get her to from time to time so she knows how in case of emergency, but she hates it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Ya know I just had this conversation with a firiend of mind. Funny how 10 or 15 years ago you hardly ever saw women out on boats without men. But now it is common place. I think it is great!!!!!!!! YOU GO GIRLS!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
QUOTEQUOTE (bobrob20 @ Aug 29 2003, 10:08 AM)
there is a girl few slips down from me that has a 26 sea ray that when she goes out ive never seen any guys on her boat just women.

Sounds famillair (sp) , Is this Searay in slip 248 at Emerald City?? If so, I was 2 slips down from it last year.
Same thing, never any guy's on that boat.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
yepp thats the one ... she was there last year too ,,

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Is the boat the Jenny Jenny II? Docks at Emerald and only brings girls out....well that was before she met her man. But trust me he still doesn't drive. If so there both members of the site.

Boatchic owns and operates her own boat. Dam good at it too. (stacey sorry for not saying high last night every time I was going to you were in a deep conversation it looked like....hope you had fun)

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
QUOTE(speedfreak @ Aug 29 2003, 11:24 AM)Yeah, my ol' lady drives, but not at the helm. Yells at me from the galley! (where she belongs)........
You sound like my husband!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Pyrate does the majority of the driving, and I usually drop and haul the anchor(s). I'm learning as we go. With practice, I'll get there, and even our eight year old son thinks he should learn - should anything ever happen to the both of us when we are on the water.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
well, after i 'threw out the bumper' off rumpies boat, i don't think i'm allowed to even learn.

(for those of you who did not get to see my faux paus, we pulled up to wiz'z boat and rump goes, 'throw out the bumper.' so i did. i did not realize it was not tied. it was floating away, and everyone who witnessed it laughed their arses off. i have not lived it down.)

·
Registered
465 Posts
QUOTEsurfergirlck Posted on Aug 29 2003, 01:32 PM

well, after i 'threw out the bumper' off rumpies boat, i don't think i'm allowed to even learn.

(for those of you who did not get to see my faux paus, we pulled up to wiz'z boat and rump goes, 'throw out the bumper.' so i did. i did not realize it was not tied. it was floating away, and everyone who witnessed it laughed their arses off. i have not lived it down.)

Oh boy. At least bumper float.....
I hope he remembers before he asks you to "drop the anchor"!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
QUOTE(speedfreak @ Aug 29 2003, 02:02 PM)QUOTEsurfergirlck Posted on Aug 29 2003, 01:32 PM

Oh boy. At least bumper float.....
I hope he remembers before he asks you to "drop the anchor"!
iam laughing just reading this can imagine if id actually seen it happen ...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts