Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I dont want to sound silly, but what wood is used on boats under the upholstery, I'm redoing the vinyl upholstery and some of the wood is broken and I need to replace it. i'm not refering to the floor at all, just like the gunnal walls and the bow seats........thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
most marine companies use douglas fir (pretty common pine) because it's really cheap and quite dry. The best thing to use is certainly marine grade treated wood.

·
Registered
168 Posts
MARINE GRADE plywood

1. Okume plywood (best, light, expensive, imported, and not often used I suspect)
2. sapele
3. meranti
4. lauan plywood
5. douglas Fir and anything that is available to the manufacturer.

Marine plywood used the same resin/glue that EXTERIOR plywood uses. however, most exterior plywood has a TON of voids that can trap moisture and the stuff falls apart when you cut it. Marine plywood is of higher quality and has FEW VOIDS and sometimes more layers per thickness of wood.

Marine plywood is typically Okume(africa) or Meranti. US made marine grade plywood usually has douglas-fir faces, and some builders have decided if they are going to spend the money, they want the mahogany-like faces of Okume or other imported species plywood.

I did not see any nice exterior plywood at the big box stores last time I checked. Depending on the value of the boat, you could use grade A exterior if you can find it. Otherwise, marine ply. The standard for marine ply is usually BS-1088 (a british standard). I think there are two companies in france (maybe more) that import the okume from africa and manufacture plywood, thus the good marine ply comes from France. I'm pretty sure some of the boat manfacturers skimp out on the wood and don't use the BS-1088 standard stuff. I think wellcraft used XL(fir) brand plywood in some of their boats. I haven't seen XL brand plywood locally.

Where you can buy it:

http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.ph...&hl=plywood

http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.ph...&hl=plywood

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Another piece of advise is don't use wolmanized wood if the vinyl is going directly over it. The chemicals in the wood "weep" through and discolor the vinyl.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 18 2009, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome to the site!

Another piece of advise is don't use wolmanized wood if the vinyl is going directly over it. The chemicals in the wood "weep" through and discolor the vinyl.
Would you happen to know that from experience? My Formula side panels were wolmanized; had to replace them all.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
QUOTE(wantsa311 @ Sep 18 2009, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(freckles @ Sep 18 2009, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome to the site!

Would you happen to know that from experience? My Formula side panels were wolmanized; had to replace them all.

Yep! We had to do the same thing in our old 272. Probably doesn't matter for black or darker vinyl, but the white really looked bad.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
my '90 baja cockpit interior parts are pressure treated plywood. except for the piseces that have some shape they made those with blow molded plastic boxes.

of course some of 'em are soft and crappy but i might jsut replace 'em with the same stuff. my vinyl is padded and I believe ( i'd have to go look) has a plastic sheet layered in there too.

my boat has seen too much rain and water and sprinklers at peoples docks with crappy covers on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.