Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you working out and getting healthier... have you been seeing results???

I've been doing it for 3 months now and don't see much difference at all... and have not lost any weight...

I know Shandog is frustrated with her results as well.

What are you doing?

My friend just told me that 15-20 reps is too much and I won't see the difference I'm looking for. Gonna go back to 12-15 reps and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Feb 16 2004, 03:21 PM)Those of you working out and getting healthier... have you been seeing results???

I've been doing it for 3 months now and don't see much difference at all... and have not lost any weight...

I know Shandog is frustrated with her results as well.

What are you doing?

My friend just told me that 15-20 reps is too much and I won't see the difference I'm looking for. Gonna go back to 12-15 reps and see what happens.
I have been working out too... but not as mush as you my dear friend.. and NO results are a-happen' to this body!! I guess i have to start eating better on top of working out...
Very depressing!

Pauligan... maybe cut back on all the gs cookies you have.. . hee hee. Tom found the one sleeve that i did not give you last night...grrrr.........

·
Registered
268 Posts
Pauline, not sure you want to hear my opinion, but I'll chime in anyway.

It all depends on what you're trying to do, and yes diet is key. Cookies, pasta, bread etc - try and cut back on, if you can. Carbs and sugar will hold you back no matter how many reps you do.

In the last 6 months I have gone hard-core and I have seen results. I went up in weight, about 10 pounds, but I noticably increased my muscle size and definition. I also know it's not just a beer gut as I monitor my fat %-age closely. I cut back hard on carbs and eat a lot of protein and I also take protein supplements, creatine, glucosamine, chondroitin and multis.

Now I know you girls don't want to look like Arnold, but you seriously have to look at upping the wieghts and maybe doing a few less reps. This will really get your heart rate up and burn the calories. I don't know what Powerhouse has for personal trainers, but Bally's has some really good ones.

I've been watching a few people at my gym for a couple of months now, that religiously work out with a personal trainer and it's obvious that they're dropping weight and getting into shape. I want to go and commend them on their progress, but don't want to seem like I'm hitting on them, or make them feel uncomfortablem so I just keep it to myself and subconsciously congratulate them.

So maybe look at getting a personal trainer that has references.

Nonetheless, I don't think that either you or Manana-II have to worry about anything, you're both in really good shape as it is!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I haven't lost any weight, but I have noticed that my waist is coming in. I am going to start a new program this week, and see how it works. I will let you guys know if I see any results.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I started working out about 1 week ago and feel great. No results yet, well not physically but mentally, It totally changed my attitude.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
pauline, there is no magic number of reps that is optimal, there are some schools of thought that lower reps with higher weight is good for muscle growth and strength and higher reps with lighter weight is better for toning BUT

you have to choose a weight that the effort on the last couple of reps is say an 8 on a difficulty factor of 1-10

if you grab a 10 lb weight and crank out 15 reps but you could've kept going for 20 to 25 reps you aren't doing crap, other than moving the muscle back and forth

lets pick 10 reps as a goal, you have to chose a weight that on reps 8-10 you are working hard, you are not in pain but on number 10 you have to be glad to put the weight down

i see too many people just picking up a light weight and going through the motions and thinking this is going to help and make a change in your body, it may tone slightly and help you maintain, but you aren't going to make any major changes this way

the same goes for cardio, if you go three mornings and run 3 miles in a half hour and do this for a year, sure you will maintain and burn some fat but to see improvements over the long run you have to challenge your body, you have to either run farther or improve on your time

your body adapts to what you are doing and you need to go beyond this to challenge or shock your muscles into growth or change

HIRE A PERSONAL TRAINER, you are probably training all wrong and could use a longer term guidance in your workouts, not just a one time instruction on how to use a machine or do an exercise

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
P~Maybe you are gaining muscle which is why it seems you haven't lost weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, so really if you lost 5 lbs of fat, you may have gained five of muscle, making it even....so feel good!!!

Don't up your weights, I don't care what anyone says...you don't want THOSE shoulders...if you know what I mean..if you do, than cool!

As for diet...did anyone watch the interview with Kimberly Locke, 3rd runner up in American Idol last year, she started working out and NOT dieting and she looks really good. That's my new motto, just eat a little healthier and exercise regularly.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I am currently working on strengthing my back muscles and after that I am going on

a serious crash diet....I really need to drop 10 or 200lbs badly.....

I joke alot about my size but it`s only cause I truely hate being this way.......

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Feb 16 2004, 03:49 PM)P~Maybe you are gaining muscle which is why it seems you haven't lost weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, so really if you lost 5 lbs of fat, you may have gained five of muscle, making it even....so feel good!!!

Don't up your weights, I don't care what anyone says...you don't want THOSE shoulders...if you know what I mean..if you do, than cool!

As for diet...did anyone watch the interview with Kimberly Locke, 3rd runner up in American Idol last year, she started working out and NOT dieting and she looks really good. That's my new motto, just eat a little healthier and exercise regularly.

don't pepetuate this myth that women are going to get HUGE by training with weights, fact is that men and women are made different and have different hormones and will NOT get HUGE even if they work with heavy weights

I've been training hard with heavy weights for years, hardcore benching and squats along with high protein diets, supplements, etc, and I hardly look like a monster (maybe a goo monster)

those women and men you see in some of the bodybuilding magazines have special genetics, take steroids, work out for a living and devote 100% of their life to training and diet

the average and even above average person will NOT get giant lifting heavy weights, the benefits of weight lifting are too numerous to pass on

here is some info and some myths on women and weight lifting

FITNESS FACTS

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have been on a regular work out schedule and since I had Blake 6 1/2 months ago I am down to my pre preg weight so now I have about 15 more pounds I want to loose and the toning begins.....

Work out 4 times a week Monday, Tuesday, Thursday at lunch and Saturday mornings

Boating is right around the corner

Good luck to all

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I've been hitting it hard the last week and have seen a few lbs lost. My cardio is not up to par yet but it will get there. I was doing great today started out with eggbeaters for breakfest but once I got to work.....the girl scout cookies were in. There is so many open boxes around me calling my name. I've been on a g.s. cookie bender.

I'm a firm believer in girls should lift heavy weights like Goose says. Remember that muscle will burn fat all day long.

·
12,052 Posts
No time to read the whole thread, just wanted to add, lost weight and I see other results. Thanks to a certain someone for the ambition I needed to start this. Now if I can just stay at it..............

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Feb 16 2004, 03:57 PM)QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Feb 16 2004, 03:49 PM) P~Maybe you are gaining muscle which is why it seems you haven't lost weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, so really if you lost 5 lbs of fat, you may have gained five of muscle, making it even....so feel good!!!

don't pepetuate this myth that women are going to get HUGE by training with weights, fact is that men and women are made different and have different hormones and will NOT get HUGE even if they work with heavy weights

I've been training hard with heavy weights for years, hardcore benching and squats along with high protein diets, supplements, etc, and I hardly look like a monster (maybe a goo monster)

those women and men you see in some of the bodybuilding magazines have special genetics, take steroids, work out for a living and devote 100% of their life to training and diet

the average and even above average person will NOT get giant lifting heavy weights, the benefits of weight lifting are too numerous to pass on

here is some info and some myths on women and weight lifting

FITNESS FACTS
Goose you ae 100% right.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Still working out...not seeing results...just working towards getting into that moo-moo from last year....hee,hee!!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I have been working out with my trainer 2xs a week for the past month and am seeing noticeable muscle definition which is good. he's pushing me with heavy weeks so i will fatigue. My strength has literally doubled. i can kick some @ss now

Just getting super bored with the cardio though...
i try to get atleast 4 sessions of cardio in, in additon to seeing the trainer twice weekly.

i think i'm giong to up my visits with the personal trainer to 3xs a week...and really push myself

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
iam switching to diet coke and bacardi.. they had a ad on tv it has no carbs at all.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Getting on my scale every morning is pissing me off
Up 2, down 6, up and down and up and down...I don't get it <_<

I've been eating GREAT and exercising faithfully since Jan 1st and have kept 4 lbs off for good, the next 6 are sporadic up and down. AGGH! But...I feel good, am eating right, and have lots of energy and can get through a day w/out caffeine and nicotine which is HUGE for me.

I know it's muscle mass that I'm building bc I can see the changes in my definition and muscle size up top but it's that one damn pant size I want to go down that hasn't happened yet.

Tomorrow morning I'm weighing myself and putting the scale away for a week - moving it from the bathroom to the closet so I won't be tempted to jump on it. I'm also not going to do any weight training for two weeks and stick to cardio, make yet another modification to my diet and see what happens.

Good Luck Everyone ~ I'm sweating along right there with ya!!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I've been pretty steady 4-6 days a week. Pretty much stick to cardio every other day and weights the opposite days. Cardio consists of Spinning, step/interval kickboxing. I find that this mix works real well. I usually step it up on the weights when I'm not feeling a burn. Totally agree with Goose that girls just can't worry about bulking up. That takes ALOT of discipline and work. Most people can't achieve those levels. I also do Abs almost every day switching it up w/ the ball and varying the exercises. There's lot's of controversy on the amount of Abs you can do. Just habit for me. I think diet is key. I chowed this weekend eating lots of BAD stuff. So today I take it down a few notches drink protein shakes and lo-cal stuff. It's a balancing act if you ask me. But something is always better than nothing....consistency and pushing your self I think works best.

I think the scale is a waste just get naked stand in front of mirror that'all tell ya all you need to know!!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts