Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do you think is the world's best bass angler? I'd have to say KVD is by far.....23 checks in a row in his early years.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yeah,...I'd have to say Rick Clunn and KVD both,......Clunn because of his unprecidented 28(??) BMC appearances in a row,...he was the KING before KVD's arrival on the scene,...and a model of consistency,...now I'd have to give the nod to Kevin since he has the skills and potential to beat Clunn's record(s) as well as take over the all time lead in $$ winnings in @2-3years.......he is unreal!!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
There's no dought about it. ROLAND MARTIN !!!!!!!!!!

Hands down, His reputation goes way back.

h2o<------------Say's "SON"

·
Registered
320 Posts
With what he's done in a comparatively short time. It has to be Kevin. He still has a long way to go. He should surpass Nixon, Clunn, Klein, Brauer, Martin, Grigsby in any given catagory. Pick a catagory and give him time.

Take Kevin out of the mix and it gets to be a real tough choice though.

As for Roland, he has been the king as far as receiving local information before tournaments. I wonder when the last time was that he found fish all by himself.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here are my picks.

1st has to be Kevin based on his age and his accomplishments. How many northern boys can go down south and spank the southern boys in their own backyard!

Honorable mention and a very very close 2nd goes to Rick Clunn, when he was in his zone he was the best for many years.

3rd goes to Roland Martin a great fisherman that been there forever (I think he invented water).

4th through 6th go to Gary Klein, Dave Hite and Larry Nixon in no particular order.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Roland Martin

19 time Bassmasters Champion
-9 time Angler-of-the-Year
- 24 time Bassmasters Classic Qualifier

Just some of his accomplishments... He's done so much for fishing, and teaching other's.

He once was fishing with Bob Izumi, (told to me personally by bob), and when he backed bob's boat up to launch it with bob in it, he went real fast and ejected the boat in the water completely filling the boat with water all bob could do was reach over and hit the bilge pump switch to start draining his completely fill boat...

Now that's hard to top. As a prank to pull. LOL

h2o<-----------say's "SON"

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
#1 is H2O LOL. #2 is Mini, and #3 is me. ROTFLMAO. It`s like comparing Arnold Palmer with Tiger Woods. Both Roland and Kevin are great bass fisherman. I prefer someone with more variety of expertise. Like Al Lindner.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
As far as bass fishing goes at the present time.....hard not to pick Kevin. He does love to fish for other species too. He and I have had many conversations about crappie

I dont know if Kevin can break Rolands record 9 BASS AOY Titles....but if anyone can, it will be Kevin. Roland can wind em in, thats for sure.

Clunn's accomplishments over the length of time in tournament fishing is astounding. The man is simply awesome. He has pushed others to improve themselves mentally and physically. He has changed the sport for the good. How many anglers can you say that about? BUt perhaps Rick has taken the mental thing a "little" too far?

Jay Yelas is fishing good as is Alton Jones and Zell Rowland. Greg Hackney had a great year also.

So I would have to say Kevin, Clunn, Alton would be my top three (depending on the lake...lol) I did finish in the top 100 on the BASS/ESPN Fantasy Fishing this past year. And if it werent for the CLear Lake Tournament I might have been able to hold on to my top 30 status....I think there were over 30,000 people competeing.

Mini

PS Thanx Czar....every now and again I can find a few fish on this pond.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another well known fishing show host told me that Bill Dance has some deal with some guy who owns several private lakes and Bill films almost all of his shows there in a one month period. That's why you always see cattails in the back ground....How many of you have watched Bill drag the fish around on the surface while he says, "Cut it out now, cut it out now". I find myself yelling, "JUST BRING THE DAMN FISH IN!!!!!!!!!!!!"

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I think Bill Dance goes out of the way to really teach tecnique. His explainations are top rated. I like watching him alot because he catch's fish. Big fish and just doesn't cast for half the show. He goes way back with Roland and Ray Scott the original boys...I enjoy Bill. He's a educator. That's just what i think.

h2o<----and that's all i have to say about that.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
You guys are all wrong. The best Bass fisherman is any Muskie over 24 inches. There is my two cents and I know I'm right.

·
Registered
263 Posts
h2o, using my line, "and that's all i have to say about that?" n e ways, i don't care for bill dance's show. he fishes private lakes, there is never another boat on the water. he uses one lure the whole show. that isn't good practice. he picks one lure and catches fish with it. what if that lure didn't work that day? that never happens. he doesn't say y he is using a particular lure, just uses it. if he is throwing a top water frog, could he be catching fish on a worm, or tube, or something else? maybe he should say y one lure is working better and for what reason. but it really doesn't matter, because you could catch bass on any lure with hooks on it in the lakes he fishes, but hooks are required (some people need to be reminded). i don't think there can ever be another 9 time angler of the year winner, there are too many fisherman with the skills to win now. i'm not saying what roland martin did was easy, but i don't think he, or anyone else, could do that in todays tournament trail. there will probably be 18 different anglers of the year in the next 20 years. competiton is too tough. just my opinion.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
nitroderrek: Sorry i used your line but it's good. Actually isn't it from Forest Gump. n e ways lol hope you don't mine.
Bill Dance explains alot in his show. teach's, he rule's.

h2o<-----------enjoy's Bill Dance heck there all good!!!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
nitroderreck,

You are right about one thing. Bill does fish the stocked ponds at Bienville Plantation almost entirely for his shows anymore. I know a guy who doesn't always use hooks (sorry Brian) that could still catch bass there.

Pay attention to the context of Bill's show. He does fish with only one bait and teaches the nuances of fishing that certain bait for a reason. His show is now one big commercial for his chosen sponsor of the day. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's been like this for a long time now. Patterning fish, bait selection and other aspects have become secondary. It's about selling baits, pure and simple. That's how bass pro's really make their money.

I still enjoy the show immensely. In my opinion though, he had (took) many advantages over the competition when he competed. He wouldn't have a chance today in my opinion.

Regards,

Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts