Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just did the worm blaster on sunday. Now I ran my anti-virus and there's another worm. Anyone know about it?

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
i have no idea, but i am pi$$ed because i never open emails from anyone i do not know.
and last night when i got home, i kept on locking up, then i couldn't even get on the internet at all, it just said cannot find page.
i have cable internet too, very annoying !

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
my computer works fine, just would not go online.
i hope it was just a glitch with the cable provider, i will find out tonight.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I lost my cable INTERNET connection around noonish today. I have used two virus scan utilities and not found anything on my computer. I think it was WideOpenWest down today.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Sittin here chatting with a friend on Yahoo a few minutes ago and she got an email with a worm attachment... she's flippin' out. So far my puter has been fine. I've been running my anti-virus every couple hours.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I just checked my real email address and found this from WideOpenWest. Guess they did shut down today...That is good to know. I didn't think it was me <_<

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:26:26 -0600
From: "WOW Engineering" <[email protected]> | This is spam | Add to Address Book
To: @wideopenwest.com
Subject: Virus Protection!

In order to protect WOW Internet and Cable from the latest version of
the worm virus we were forced to do emergency maintenance on our
network. During this emergency maintenance we had to take down the network for
a short period of time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may
have caused. We would encourage you to protect yourself from this virus as
well. The instructions below will instruct you how to do this.

To protect yourself from this worm virus please follow the instructions
below.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Tell me about it! I'm still down from the first worm and now working from a ancient laptop.

It sucks when my entire business revolves around it and I depend on it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Always check Here for updated versions of "Stinger" (esp when new viruses/worms hit) it gets updated often.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Be careful if you receive mail from an unknows recipient with subjects such as the following;

• Re: Thank you!
• Thank you!
• Your details
• Re: Details
• Re: Re: My details
• Re: Approved
• Re: Your application
• Re: Wicked screensaver
• Your application
• Re: That movie

I've received at least a dozen today.

DELETE THEM!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Aug 20 2003, 08:01 PM)Be careful if you receive mail from an unknown recipient with subjects such as the following;

• Re: Thank you!
• Thank you!
• Your details
• Re: Details
• Re: Re: My details
• Re: Approved
• Re: Your application
• Re: Wicked screen-saver
• Your application
• Re: That movie

I've received at least a dozen today.

DELETE THEM!
Ditto here on Rich's machine...I'm out here cleaning out his yahoo email box...He had 12 of them bad boys! He said it was driving him crazy. Every minute his computer would say, "Yahoo Mail"!

These people should be prosecuted to the fullest for messing with everyone's lives. What a pain in the ars!

Signed,
Threecrabs

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I received 2 of them alone today. In the past week I recieved at least 20.

I don't know if everyone knows this, but if you are on a cable modem you need to install firewalls to protect yourself.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Firewalls will *help* prevent worms such as the Blaster, but the one that is spreading quick today is transmitted via email. Some software firewalls will pick up on it and stop it, but anti-virus software with updated signature files is what you need.

Infected emails are pouring in now, as people get home from work, check their mail, open these infected messages, and unknowingly pass them on.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ihave avg and it'll detect it but it wont pull it out. i update it daily and yes i have cable....it just healed it FINALLY!!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
AVG 7.0 is a good AV program and not the resource hog that Norton is.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(-Merlin- @ Aug 20 2003, 06:12 PM)AVG 7.0 is a good AV program and not the resource hog that Norton is.
Do you know the url for their website?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I have a question: Our computer that has Win98 2nd installed on it won't update at the Microsoft Update site. I keep getting ERROR 0x800A138F When I look I don't find a fix for it. Does anybody know what it is?

Thank you ahead of time for any help! I've tried everything.
Lisa

1 - 20 of 20 Posts