Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

"WOW" 17" MOONEYE STATE RECORD?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  3 Hearts 
#1 ·
WHILE FISHING WITH MY BUDDY JEREMY AT OUR FAVORITE WALLEYE SPOT, I CAUGHT AND RELEASED A 17" MOONEYE. I BELIEVE THE FISH IS ON THE PROTECTED LIST AND BECAUSE OF THAT THE LAST RECORDED STATE RECORD WAS 1995 AND THAT FISH WAS 14 3/4". AND I ALSO CAUGHT A 10 # CHANNEL CAT ON A SHAD CRANKBAIT. "WOW" WHAT A FISHERY. O BY THE WAY WE DID MANAGE TO GET 8 WALLEYE ALSO!!

See less See more
#5 ·
We use to catch a lot of them in the Bay 30 to 40 years ago. I haven't seen one in at least ten years myself. Gives yoiu an idea of what a great fishery we have here. Bob

#8 ·
The dumping grounds are located north of Tecumseh town from the Canadian side. On the American side I guess it would be located southeast of Grosse Point. I'm sure someone here can give you GPS readings. I also know that the is a good online map somewhere but not sure where it is located on the web.

#10 ·
Although I haven't fished there in a few summers, I used to catch mooneye in the North Channel while drifting for marble eye. We would usually catch one of these things once in seven or eight trips. They fight kind of like a walleye (no fight at all!!!!!!), but do look pretty neat because you don't see them that often.

Speaking of the North Channel, does anyone troll for muskie in there or in the Sni. I am tired of clearing weeds off my lures and know that the channel offers protection from alot of that junk. I trolled the entire channel one afternoon during the week when not many boats were around and picked up one pike. Probably wouldn't do it on the weekend when there are boats everywhere around Deckers. Just curious as to where people found decent areas in the Channel itself. Thanks for any info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.