Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother was in the marsh yesterday and he got a nice mess of gills, one really nice one right off the bat, after that they were all about average to small but he said he still got a nice mess of gills.

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Jan 2 2010, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My brother was in the marsh yesterday and he got a nice mess of gills, one really nice one right off the bat, after that they were all about average to small but he said he still got a nice mess of gills.

How deep is the water back in there? I always assumed it was really shallow. Can you get a boat back in there in the summer?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(Newb @ Jan 2 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Jan 2 2010, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My brother was in the marsh yesterday and he got a nice mess of gills, one really nice one right off the bat, after that they were all about average to small but he said he still got a nice mess of gills.

How deep is the water back in there? I always assumed it was really shallow. Can you get a boat back in there in the summer?

He told me earlier this evening that he was all the way up back in the marsh (all the way west into the marsh from the boat launch). 4-5 ft of water where he was. He said the first one was really nice, then a bunch of fair to small ones, but he still ended up with a nice mess of fish. He said about 25-30 total.

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Jan 2 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Newb @ Jan 2 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Jan 2 2010, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My brother was in the marsh yesterday and he got a nice mess of gills, one really nice one right off the bat, after that they were all about average to small but he said he still got a nice mess of gills.

He told me earlier this evening that he was all the way up back in the marsh (all the way west into the marsh from the boat launch). 4-5 ft of water where he was. He said the first one was really nice, then a bunch of fair to small ones, but he still ended up with a nice mess of fish. He said about 25-30 total.

Thanks for the info i'll have to poke around back there sometime next week. I have wanted to fish back there in the summer for years but figured it was to shallow to get a boat back there.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Unless your paddling back there, you arent gonna make it all the way. The water is 5-6 feet, but the weeds are all the way to the top. Depending on the time of year you try, you may be able to make it up a decent amount, but come summer that area gets choked with weeds.

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jan 3 2010, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unless your paddling back there, you arent gonna make it all the way. The water is 5-6 feet, but the weeds are all the way to the top. Depending on the time of year you try, you may be able to make it up a decent amount, but come summer that area gets choked with weeds.

That explains why I never see anyone back there. I thought with all the lilly pads there could be some fish hiding back in there too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
QUOTE(givemethe @ Jan 3 2010, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yea, ive gotten a boat back there in the spring but i didnt have any luck, i think its more of a hard water location, or im terrible at fishing... anyone else go back there recently and have any luck?

Early spring... you can get all the way to the end of the canal (only the canal) with a row boat you can go on both sides. Ive seen guys back there with with all kinds of small fishing boats, but I personally would stick to the canal with a boat any bigger than a row boat.

As far as the fishing... Fish the canal, on the side away from the shore... with a weedless -3 hook-rubber worm. Lots of fun all day... catching good size Bass. I would not recommend eating them though. We tried them on the grill... haha I give my wife credit. They were way tooooo fishy.

My dad and I fish it with a canoe, with non-stop action. I had casted a spinner out into that canal.. and hooked into something crazy..!! it was pulling us up the canal!!! fast and then due to me giving a little slack in fear of breaking the line.. he broke loose : ( I wish I knew what it was??

Well I hope you try just that.. If those fish had tasted good I would not have told you about it. : D hahaha

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts