Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Nov 23 2009, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You know it's rough when your swim platform is a trim-tab!

LOL my swim platform is a trim tab every time I come off plane.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well if the captain was a Michigan driver he would have said "Hold my beer and watch this".

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Nov 23 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can you imagine what the landing sounded like?????

Nooooooooo don't make me

Ask my husband. He knows I don't like the sound at all of even average rough water.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(SAILOR @ Nov 23 2009, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Forget about the cabin, I hope he was holding on to his drink!
LOL forget about the drink.. Hopefully he was strapped in because he had to feel it when that thing came back down. I would imagine that once that swim plateform caught the water and dug in the front of that boat flipped back down like a ton of bricks and slammed it down hard.. He must have been flying when he hit that wave to push the entire boat out of the water like that.. I know I wouldn't want to have experianced it.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I think many may be suprised when I say this. but the landing was most likely fairly smooth. It appears as if he timed the surf wrong, therefore causing the boat to hit the crest of the wave at a less than desireable time. 10 seconds earlier and he would have been fine, 10 seconds later and most likely in nothing but a dangerious unstable whitewash!

But, odds are he did not come down and slap. He would have most likely came down and dropped the stern with the rest of the boat to follow. The hurt comes from landing unsquare or into another wave in a chine/side of the boat.

In Florida, we had props ventilated/aired out in the same type of condition, on an early 90's 310 sea ray express. The driver actually did it on purpose, as he was working for a "company" at the time putting some beatings to this boat! But when it landed it was nothing like a 20 runabout here on LSC on an average weekend...or an offshore jumping from wave to wave.

The same concept I am referiing to can be referenced on a jetski. If you have ever been on a jetski and launched the first wave of a wak, and come down on the back side if it controlled....Its actually pretty fun to do! And its a soft landing!

Regardless its all timing of the captains ability to handle his vessel!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
That is hard to believe!
Maybe the boat fell straight down at that same angle dropping the stern into the water up to the dash and then it popped back out and settled. Kinda like a jet ski does. Then maybe it woulda been a soft landing. That is still crazy. That is either a pshop job or part of some type of test.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(SKUZA @ Nov 23 2009, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is hard to believe!
Maybe the boat fell straight down at that same angle dropping the stern into the water up to the dash and then it popped back out and settled. Kinda like a jet ski does. Then maybe it woulda been a soft landing. That is still crazy. That is either a pshop job or part of some type of test.
I'm with you on this.. As big as that wave was he had to pitch forward when his stern caught.. Not only was he going to pitch forward but he was also going to nose dive into the troth of the oncoming wave which probably made the landing worse yet.. I've had that happen to me in my old 19 ftr when I hit an oncoming freighter wake that was a lot larger then I though it was going to be and when the stern of my boat dug in it flipped me forward so hard i thought I was going to go right through the windshield.. I thought the boat was going to come apart at the seams.. It was not fun at all and I wouldn't want to do it again under any circumstances.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Nov 23 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Waves like that make you realize how small your boat really is.
LOL Thats an uderstatement.
When I was it the Navy we hit a storm off the coast of Florida when we were heading out of JacksonVille going to the Portsmouth Naval Ship Yard to take on stores.. We were in 40 to 50ftrs on a 600 ft Destroyer Tender and even that boat when it came down between the waves was lost from site. Our main deck was 40ft from the water on calm days it's a scary site when you go down into those troths and all you can see was water above you.. I learned respect for the water and large waves on that trip.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
What I am reffering to is the surf that he is in! The distance between this cresting wave and the next is not like what most are acustom to seeing. It is typically not falling into a hole with another wave right behind it, if this is the case, then you betchya it is going to hurt!

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(K G @ Nov 23 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think many may be suprised when I say this. but the landing was most likely fairly smooth. It appears as if he timed the surf wrong, therefore causing the boat to hit the crest of the wave at a less than desireable time. 10 seconds earlier and he would have been fine, 10 seconds later and most likely in nothing but a dangerious unstable whitewash!

But, odds are he did not come down and slap. He would have most likely came down and dropped the stern with the rest of the boat to follow. The hurt comes from landing unsquare or into another wave in a chine/side of the boat.

In Florida, we had props ventilated/aired out in the same type of condition, on an early 90's 310 sea ray express. The driver actually did it on purpose, as he was working for a "company" at the time putting some beatings to this boat! But when it landed it was nothing like a 20 runabout here on LSC on an average weekend...or an offshore jumping from wave to wave.

The same concept I am referiing to can be referenced on a jetski. If you have ever been on a jetski and launched the first wave of a wak, and come down on the back side if it controlled....Its actually pretty fun to do! And its a soft landing!

Regardless its all timing of the captains ability to handle his vessel!
I agree. I've played out in some pretty big stuff on Lake Huron, and IF the stern comes down first it's fun. If not, not fun!

Since we're on the subject... In our circle of way-back-when friends, there is one guy who fully earned the nickname Captain Hazard. One time CH and my brother were out in CH's 15' Glaston, with an 85HP Evinrude (about like this). They went up totally vertical, and came back down totally vertical. The water touched the front seat backs!
Apparently it wasn't their time to die, because the boat righted itself. Pretty sure they headed back in after that!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts