Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking over the boating laws link I posted on another thread.

SL16 and SL21....

SL 16. PWC Regulations
Although PWCs are considered to be a Class A boat, they are engineered differently than most
boats. Since they are a jet boat, the water being forced out through the steerable nozzle
controls the direction of the boat. If you release the throttle or shut-off the ignition, you will
loose all steering control. When operating a PWC, boaters should avoid being stranding by
carrying a full fuel reserve tank. All PWC operators and passengers must wear a USCGapproved
PFD.
Requirements Specific to PWCs:
Each person 12 years of age or older riding on or towed behind a PWC must wear a USCGapproved
Type I, II or III PFD. Those under 12 years of age must wear a Type I or II PFD.
Inflatable PFDs may not be used by a person of any age.
You may not allow a child under 7 years of age to ride on or be towed behind a PWC, unless
with a parent or guardian or designee of the parent or guardian.
The lanyard of a PWC's ignition safety switch must be attached to the person, clothing or PFD
of the operator.
Operating a PWC between one hour before sunset and 8:00 a.m. is prohibited.
PWCs must be operated in a reasonable and prudent manner at all times.
It is unlawful to:
• Jump the wake of another vessel unnecessarily close to the other vessel.
• Weave your PWC through congested traffic.
• Swerve at the last possible moment to avoid collision.
A PWC must be operated at slow-no wake speed if crossing within 150 feet behind another
vessel, unless the other vessel is also a PWC.
You may not operate a PWC within 200 feet of a Great Lakes shoreline unless traveling at
slow-no wake speed perpendicular to the shoreline.
It is unlawful to harass wildlife or disturb aquatic vegetation with your PWC.
You may not operate a PWC in waters less than 2 feet deep unless you are operating at slow no
wake speed, or are docking or launching your PWC.

SL 21. Environmental Awareness
When operating your PWC always be considerate of the effect you may have on the
environment.
Do not operate a PWC in shallow water (less than 24 inches deep). Bottom sediments or
aquatic vegetation can be sucked into the water pump and damage your PWC and the
environment.
Avoid creating a wake that can cause erosion when operating near shore or in narrow streams
or rivers.
Do not dock or beach your PWC in reeds and grasses. This could damage fragile environments.
Take extra care when fueling your PWC in or near the water. Oil and gasoline spills are very
detrimental to the aquatic environment. Fuel on land, if possible.
Never use your PWC to chase wildlife such as birds feeding near shore, waterfowl or other
animals.

SOURCE

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
I guess PWC's and Jetboats are not allowed ANYWHERE in the St. Clair Flats at all...

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Just wish the fools in the bays would follow these rule plus common courtesy

A PWC must be operated at slow-no wake speed if crossing within 150 feet behind another
You may not operate a PWC within 200 feet of a Great Lakes shoreline unless traveling at

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(fitsus @ Jul 16 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just wish the fools in the bays would follow these rule plus common courtesy

It's not the PWC riders fault. We as boaters shouldn't be there. We do not have the right to anchor our boats in that spot where the PWC is about to ride......

Everyone on here know's that I love PWC's and jet boats. Just like any other boat of what ever size, it's about responsibility, and not being an ignorant a$$ while operating the boat. Parents teaching their youngsters to ride a PWC please make them aware of what 150' is.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Jul 16 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I guess PWC's and Jetboats are not allowed ANYWHERE in the St. Clair Flats at all...

They're allowed; they just can't be operated over idle speed.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Jul 16 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Convincor @ Jul 16 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I guess PWC's and Jetboats are not allowed ANYWHERE in the St. Clair Flats at all...

They're allowed; they just can't be operated over idle speed.

I guess I should go to the Sheriff and turn myself in then. I have been violating for years now...

·
12,052 Posts
that rule passed couple years ago when it changed from 1/2 hour before sunset to 1 hour before sunset. stupid. you can water ski 1/2 hour or 1 hour AFTER sunset (because its still light out!!!)

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 16 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that rule passed couple years ago when it changed from 1/2 hour before sunset to 1 hour before sunset. stupid. you can water ski 1/2 hour AFTER sunset (because its still light out!!!)

Only if the sky is clear Jim. Cloudy, not so much.

·
Registered
954 Posts
[/quote]

I guess I should go to the Sheriff and turn myself in then. I have been violating for years now...

[/quote]

Let me know where to send your ticket. LOL

·
Registered
954 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 16 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that rule passed couple years ago when it changed from 1/2 hour before sunset to 1 hour before sunset. stupid. you can water ski 1/2 hour AFTER sunset (because its still light out!!!)

PWC's now can be out until Sunset ( new this year) and Skiing is 1 hour after Sunset as it has been for a couple of years. Not to smart in September when it is pitch black at that time.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Gary864 @ Jul 16 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 16 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that rule passed couple years ago when it changed from 1/2 hour before sunset to 1 hour before sunset. stupid. you can water ski 1/2 hour AFTER sunset (because its still light out!!!)

PWC's now can be out until Sunset ( new this year) and Skiing is 1 hour after Sunset as it has been for a couple of years. Not to smart in September when it is pitch black at that time.

oh sure, I sell mine and they change the law.....

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
QUOTE(Gary864 @ Jul 16 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 16 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that rule passed couple years ago when it changed from 1/2 hour before sunset to 1 hour before sunset. stupid. you can water ski 1/2 hour AFTER sunset (because its still light out!!!)

Laws don't always equal smart (and vice versa)...

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
2 feet isn't all that deep. I bet most of the places I run in are that deep. But sometimes I look down and realize... I better not slow down.

Does that law ever get enforced? I'm sure they'd get you if you were being stupid, but if you're just cruising around and the water happens to only be 18", do they get you?

·
Registered
165 Posts
QUOTE(fitsus @ Jul 16 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just wish the fools in the bays would follow these rule plus common courtesy

• You may not operate a PWC within 200 feet of a Great Lakes shoreline unless traveling at

There are a lot of jackasses out there, unfortunately with the minimal sheriff's presence I'm not sure it does any good to report the MCs.

BTW, as many of you no doubt know, the above section does not apply in Lake St Clair. Although part of the Great Lakes system, it is not subject to statutes specifying Great Lakes and excluding tributaries and connected bodies.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Fitsus.... You & I finally agree on something... ("Just wish the fools in the bays would follow these rule plus common courtesy)....
I did see a couple of jet ski's outrun the sheriff's boat in muscamoot bay a couple of weeks ago...
They ran back into the corner of little muscamoot bay where the water has got to be shallow & dissappeared into the weeds heading towards the middle channel...

·
Registered
339 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jul 16 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 16 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that rule passed couple years ago when it changed from 1/2 hour before sunset to 1 hour before sunset. stupid. you can water ski 1/2 hour AFTER sunset (because its still light out!!!)

Only if the sky is clear Jim. Cloudy, not so much.

Reeeaaally

1 - 17 of 17 Posts