Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 year old son wants to enter a bass tournament this year. I have no idea of how to go about this. We dont have the greatest boat but it gets us out there. We normaly fish st. clair. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Bob,

I highly recomend a weeknight tournament series. I am not sure what the age requirements are but NBAA and GNT both have a weeknight series.

I also hold a fall hawg hunt in the fall which would be a good event for your son.

The reason I recomend a weeknight tournament series is that they are short 3-4 hours long. There usualy held on smaller lakes and have a very friendly atmosphere.

8 Hour tournaments can be difficult for first timers and youngsters.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I know that the GNT Tuesday night tournaments on St. Clair will allow kids to fish with a parent. I have gone to some of the weigh-ins and the kids get a kick out of telling the story on the big one and getting a check if they place.

I don't know for sure on is NBAA will allow it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bob you and your son are about to have more fun and a better bonding experiance than you could imagine.Allmost ever team trail out there will allow you to fish with your son.

If you decide to let him do a draw tournament format (bfl) he will need a consent form signed by his legal guardian.For a beginner in my opinion this is not a good place to start.

If you decide to do a team format there are alot of trails out there that are a great expereance for you and him.

Speaking as a person with alot of expereance with this I myself would try the team events.

I have been fishing with my son in tournaments for six years.

We started doing tournaments when he was 7 years old and have been fishing tournaments ever since.

We have fished events on St.clair ,Erie , Saginaw bay some out of canada some inland waters.

Some are better than others in there own ways.

The size of the event you decide on and its location are very important.

If you choose a inland water tournament OR A BIG WATER TOURNAMENT with alot of boats and a limited ramp space weather it be a week night or a weekend you are asking for very stressfull situation putting your boat in and pulling it out.

Most tournaments that are held on bigger bodies of water (ST.CLAIR , ERIE )have alot of ramp area so when you tie up a ramp to go and get your vehicle there are other ramps for other boats to use that way you dont feel so rushed.

Some events there are people to help put you in and pull you out but when things get going in the morning and afternoon theres not always some one around.

I am trying to teach my son in the off season to be able to drive the truck and trailer at the ramp and also the boat to make things easier on us.

As for fishing weeknight tournaments most not all go out at 5pm and dont end till 9pm then you have a weighin that takes about a half hour then the talking in the parking lot and the drive home depending on how far you live on a school night for us it doesnt work out

But if you plan on only doing tournaments in the summer then you dont have to worry about this.

We do mostly weekend tournaments it seems to work for us.

Another very good tip is invest in the self inflating life vest for your son and teach him where the rip cord is.The smaller vest makes it alot easier for them to fish and get around in the boat plus it gives you peace of mind on the water and at the ramp.

If you decide to do the weekend tournaments have them take what ever it is they like to do to pass time with them (book,hand held video games,cd head set) it helps when the bite insnt so good.

Trails and or events I could recommend GNT ,AVID ANGLERS,ESSEX COUNTY BASS ANGLERS,BASSIN BUMS AND BABES,STCLAIR BASS ANGLERS,OAKLAND BASS ,DETROIT BASS,WYANE COUNTY BASS all of these trails have been very welcomeing to us and a great experiance for me and my son.

Another thing to considier if you decide to fish on the great lakes and are going to fish a tournament that allows you to go to canada and or the event has a more than a 5 fish limit your son will need a U.S. and a canadian license.

Here is a few more things to help your day go better.

Bibs and a rain suit

good sun glasses

WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT FORGET THE SUNSCREEN YOUR WIFE WOULD NOT BE HAPPY IF YOU COME BACK WITH THEM BURNT

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT AND HAVE FUN.

THE DOGG

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does NBAA & GNT stand for? And how do I get a hold of them? How much do most of the tournament cost to enter?

The length of time of the tournament wont bother my son. He can fish all day, not catch a thing, and still complain that we have to leave. He lives to fish & hunt.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Hey Bob Here are the websites for the trails you requested.

I believe both NBAA and GNT have weekend and weeknight tournaments.

There is also the ABC which would allow you and your son to fish together.

NBAA

GNT

GNT - Lake Orion

GNT - Lake St. Clair

ABC

My understanding of the ABC is that it is a Draw trail format. However it has a junior division. So your son will fish for himself against other juniors. He will get to ride in your boat.

If you go to this link and give Matt Wothke a call I am sure he can answer all your questions. I have personaly met Matt and he is a good guy. Tell him Anthony Adams sent you.

Matt Wothke

1 - 6 of 6 Posts