Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

YOUR FISHING STORY FOR 2003

3K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Top Gun 
#1 ·
Setting out with Czarthree on a foggy morning we set the GPS for the firecracker: Going at a safe speed we start to see the Bouy's that mark the channel. We stay in the deep part of the channel knowing were safe in the super thick fog.

Than i realize and say to Czarthree hey get on the edge of the channel because we don't want to kiss a freighter. He looks at me and says were ok. I say your nuts dude!!! And reach over and pull the wheel left to run the edge. As we find our fishing area a short time later I say hey look,,, sure enough there's a frieghter 200 feet to our right, right where we were at before I grabed the wheel... LOL He looked at me speechless, perhaps for the first time in our live's. My little brother owe's me one.... LOL

Went on to catch fish and had a great time.

OK lets excite the board a bit this time of year and hear your story.

h2o<----------says frieghters are bigger than most.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well it wasn`t quite that close. More like a quarter mile. Don`t recall you steering clear of the frieghter. I wasn`t worried in the least. Sometimes the fog can cloud your judgement, like on the same trip when H2o said " there`s Gull Island", when we were actually in Fisher Bay. LOL. That fog can be tricky at times for sure.

#3 ·
I see it's hard for you to recall... LOL it might of been closer 1/4 mile is funny because the wave from that big boat made us hold on. N E ways, It happened that way and oh that's right you were driving in fisher bay too...LOL Fog will cause you to do circles without a compas for sure.

#5 ·
Since moving here from NH last October, this was my first full season on St. Clair. This whole summer could be written as one big story.
Here's a few highlights:

Crappie fishing on Mother's day in May with Mini. There was not a single boat on lake yet. I was very excited because it was the first time I was on the lake in MY boat. I had my map and my GPS and I was in a whole new world. Mini gave me great tour of Anchor bay and the Clinton River/Metro area. We also managed to get some nice Crappie in the livewell.

The whole month of June was just unbelievable. The fishing was just supurb. I was amazed at how easily a guy like me with no experience on a lake that big could take my wife and children out and catch soooo many fish. We all had a blast this summer!!!!

My fishing buddy from back home got a plane ticket for his birthday from his wife. He was out here for the opening weekend of bass season. Of the 48 hours that he was here, I think we fished 30 of them. He caught his first and only Musky and it was a nice one about 40" long. We caught EVERYTHING that weekend. I bet we caught 200 fish.

And finally, I ended my bass season by taking home a pay check from the GNT Championship. There was a lot of controversy about the weigh-in being held at BPS, but being a part of it and being a winner in front of my family was simply awesome.

2003 will be remembered as one of my best fishing seasons ever!!!!

#6 ·
On behalf of my children I'd have to say the kids fishing tournament Mini organized ~ Mini, Bass Pro Shops, Jack's , & the weather really came through to make it a great event and created memories for the kids that will last forever.

I was fortunate enough to spend some time out on the pond with Mini this Summer ~ special thanks to Mac for 'trading toys' with us to make it happen! One time we took the kids and caught crappie and blue gill left and right and left and right - both live wells were full and the kids kept opening the doors to check out all the fishies in complete awe. They talked about our fishing excursion for days afterwards!

Another time Mini took me out and I caught my first super toad - took alot of strength and agility to reel this one in ( yeah right, alot of coaching from Mini and cussing and un-lady like posture from me
) but I got him! I think I ended up spanking Mini that day out on the water ~ but Shh! Don't tell anyone

We've fished before, but never like we have this summer. Thanks Mini

Attachments

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Highlights from 03 fishing?

1. Has to be the kids deal....by far the most rewarding experience I had this past summer. To hear the first fish stories from the kids and their parents and to have a touring pro, Chuck Economou, drive all night to be there was awesome.

2. The waves and wind of Saginaw Bay in the GNT......for the first time in my life I didnt think we were going to make it back to port. They say you have to find your rope limit, we did that day. The real memory was the sheer amount of BIG (5lb+) fish we found the day before and how readily they would chase ANYTHING you threw at them. We could not pull the baits away from most of them.....that is the only reason we ventured out in that weather. (that and getting a second place check, Alex won it deservingly
)

3. Another Sag Bay deal, but this time it ended in almost tragedy. I will never forget thise few precious seconds of my life as it almost ended in that crash. I dont ever want to experience that again, nor would I wish it on my enemies.

4. Beaver Lake with Mac and Neeley. Had a great time in the fog and cold, but when it was all said and done I met a person that will ultimately change my good friends life....you deserve it Bill.

5. Fishing with Bob Brunner and catching the only Muskies boated between two boats on TUBES!!!!! I love messing with you Bob, but I think you are really starting to think those tubes work when you asked me to show you how to use one!!! LOL

6. Fishing a Federation event with Economou out of the Lower Detroit and fishing in the St Clair River.....leaving too late to get back and have Chuckk show me why he is a Pro....he can drive that Triton! Had an hour to go and we were at the Firecracker with nothing less than 5 footers.....had to sprint from the bow of the boat (after an almost 2 hour ride) to the weigh-in trrailer and made it with two seconds to spare! Way too close....but we managed a check!

7. Attending the Bassmasters Classic in New Orleans and rooming with Mac, working the show, eating all that great food, having a drink with Dan Morehead, dinner with David Fritts, joking with VanDam, the list goes on....I will never be the same after experiencing Bourbon Street 4 nights in a row...lol

There are more memories, but those ones stick out....

Mini

#10 ·
How can I pick one day I had dozens of great days on the water as well as in the woods. Fishing with Mini among others. One of my best was with my youngest Grandson J.D. Brunner when he landed his 17 1/2 in Largemouth on a Super Shad. The look on his face. Man what a smile. Made Grandpa feel great. Too many to count in all. The Bomars from Tenn. and the Chans from Calf. It was great. Paul Sincos lost 40 pounder. Even tho he lost it it was still a great day. Ask Paul. Happy Holidays to you all and may next year be the year of your biggest fish.
Bob

#11 ·
Saginaw Bay has to be number 1 on my list. After only a couple of hours of fishing Dave and I just threw out the anchor and sat. We must have sat there for about an hour just looking out into the horizon at the rollers out on the Bay. We we're just gabbing about anything we could to keep our mind off the impending boat ride home. I've never been so wet in my life. I swear I was 60lbs heavier from all the water.

2nd is fishing Tuesday nights with the old man. The last few years I have not had the chance to get him out much. So it was great to be able to get out as much as we did. He was never a fisherman until he started going out with me. But I swear he now gets a bigger kick out of it then I do. And that's saying a lot.

#12 ·
For me the most rememorable moment was on Sept. 6 when I took my four year old daughter out on St. Clair for the first time. She had a smile on her face that I will never forget as she just hammered the perch and even got a few jumbo sunfish as well. Then we broke off on a muskie or pike that ripped a perch off the line so I flung out a X5 flatfish and on the first cast hooked into a 21" largemouth. My daughter didn't want anything to do with being in that picture! Still haven't been able to get her over the fear of the big ones. Can't wait till spring to get her back out.

#13 ·
Had a few awesome memories and some not so awesome this year.

1) Fished Sandusky Bay and Erie for the first time in the Stratos Regional. We were confined to the bay on the first day of competition due to high winds. I went across the bay to fish and found out that it can be pretty rough in there too. Coming back to weigh-in we had to manuever directly into the waves. I told my partner it would be rough, but not like it was. I took my first wave and it was not to bad, but the second one scared the crap out of me. I had water completely to the top of the gunnels, keeping my foot on the throttle struggling to hit 3000 rpms and not come off plane. Thank God for bilge pumps. We were fortunate to remain in the boat the wave hit us so hard. That was a not so awesome memory.
We did make it back safely.

2) Fishing with my Dad over the fourth of July weekend. My folks moved south last October. During his visit we fished St. Clair and got into a school of top feeders in the middle of the day. For an hour and a half we threw flukes and caught smallies. It was awesome.

3) This outing was our club classic and I experienced three first. I fished in the St. Clair River for the first time, caught my first Sturgeon and my first 5+ lb smallie in a tournament. It was an awesome day. The Sturgeon I hooked first. I was in 50 foot of water. The thing jumped head to tail out of the water. Me and My partner almost fainted. Twenty minutes later I had a 5 foot plus Sturgeon that we estimated to be around 50lbs. It was the biggest fish I have ever seen. After recovering from that, we continued the drift when I hit the smallie. I thought at first it was a smaller Sturgeon...instead I was battling a 5.35 pounder. What excitment. (BTW- both were on an 7'0 All Star Tube Rod)

Those are just some of my favorites of the year. It is hard to post them all. So I will leave you with my favorite....anytime I am out with my family, especially my 6 year old son. He loves fishing and can catch them smallies pretty dang good. We had some fun days this year and I can't wait for next season.

George T

#14 ·
Had a VERY BUSY summer this year,..unfortunatley the one thing that suffered was my fishing time. As Mini talked about,..the 2 highlites for sure were the Beaver Lk. FLW where I met the new business mgr for Action Performance,....that ultimately led to a licensing agreement for me and my "Scales and Tales" cartoons. Truly a dream come true, but ultimately a lot of work ahead of me.....but what good things DON'T take a lot of work...besides saying "Please and Thank you!"..LOL

Secondly,..the BMC in New Orleans,.....Hangin' out with Mini and another buddy of ours,...and going to dinner with David Fritts and Larry and Emily Shaffer,...several years ago they were "Pro's to look up too".....now they're "Still Pro's, but even better FRIENDS!"......that's what makes the memories. Oh,..and meeting with Hank Parker in his hotel room to discuss some future business ideas was pretty cool too,....but not as fun as dangling beads off the balconies on Bourbon St. with Mini!!! Now THAT was total hedonism.........especially when someone else pays for it!! LOL!!!

'04 should be a VERRRRYY intersting year!!!

Mac

#15 ·
Awesome stories,, thanks now that's some interesting reading,,,,

Shandog: super fish and wonderful picture. That deserve's a framing,,,

h2o<-------says,, keep the stories coming don't be shy!!

#16 ·
My experiences came from the same place this year. Started early in Sandusky Bay and ventured out in 5-7 footers. Stayed most of the day tucked in by the islands and came back in 7'-9' waves. First time in my life I didn't think I was going to make it!

Went back later in the year and managed to run over a rock pile by Kelly's Island. Spent 2 hours getting my prop straight in order to limp back in time for weigh-ins. Got the boat on the trailer and found the trailer broke. Had to rig the thing just to get back home.

I don't like that place anymore

#17 ·
in our final tournament.....my partner and I were out of team of the year by 1.2 pounds.........the area we had been fishing was loaded with boats ....after a 4pounder and 3pounder and a few dinks we
left for a few hours and returned the last few hours of the tournament after all the "traffic" had subsided ..boated a 4lber on the first drift then two more mid three's...came into the weigh-in feeling like we were going to throw-up...we were almost last to weigh-in as well as the team that was on top for team of the year.....we had 18+ and they had 14+.....we ended up with first place and team of the year.....
at that moment the pre-fishing, money spent, late nights going over gear and early mornings, and most of all FLAK
from the wife made it all worth it.....BRING ON 2004!

#19 ·
Quick Story:

Fishing with my older brother, as usual, in a 16ft sylvan in bay by Selfridge, wind was high and waves were up, way up, so scrapped the plan of trolling for muskies, headed for the calmer northern shore of that bay to cast for smallies. Got in close enough that boat wasn't being tossed like a cork in the sea. Casting with 8lb test and small fire tiger rapala shad rap. Slammed 2 muskie and a nice northern in the first half hour: landed them all. First muskie was the biggest 43" and fat like a football.

If I remember right my brother didn't catch a thing.

Great day.

berger

#20 ·
Nov 1, Launched out of Fairhaven for some perch in the morning, got into them around 11:00 had a great time. Got some lunch and decided to fish for smallies but instead got assulted by Pike for 2 hours. Had so much fun we didn't want to quit, Felt like a couple of school boys, cracking on each other every cast! Hooked a few 'eyes and decided to call it a day before the sun went down. Can't wait till next year. Best of all I found the Site and joined, The people here are the Best!

#21 ·
I've tossed a second rod out before and it's always had live bait on it. Well this year i decided to use Berkley Power Bait instead. Tossed it out with a 3 inch grub, set in the rod holder and went on casting. WHAM!! it went off. pulled in a smallie, set it back in rod holder WHAM!! it went off again, soon the action was to fast i couldn't cast. I said i'll save my arm and DRIFT DRAG two rods. Well the action was just terrific, unbelievable perhaps. When on for hours one after another lots of different species caught DRIFT DRAGIN. The moral of the story is when you drift and cast toss a extra pole out there with a Berkley Power Grub on a jig tied direct and get a surprise. Different size jigs for the drifting speed your going.

That was a amazing day on the pond, one i won't forget, and now i've learned how to take advantage of our two pole rule. With out messin with live bait mess.

h2o<----------MORE STORIES GENTLEMAN AND LADIES

#24 ·
I'll throw one more out there for the kid's fishing day. My daughter and nephew had a great time! Plus now my daughter is constantly talking about getting a fishing boat. Before that it was just me against my wife, now I have my kid throwing in the tie-breaker vote. I'm saving my pennies baby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.