Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... simply curious.

Recently read up on the procedure and others thoughts as to why or why not, but wondering where you guys stand.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Declawing a cat is one thing, but keeping a dog from being able to communicate is just WRONG!

If a person knows how to train a dog right, there's no need for such a procedure. <_<

If you want a dog that don't bark, get a basenji.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
If you figure out how to debark a dog let me know.

I have 2, and besides a muzzle (which I rarely put on them) nothing works. I don't mind a little barking, but when they carry on when someone is outside or for a rabbit in the yard it gets old fast.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Mixed emotions. I knew a guy that had that done to his dog. She didn't know she couldn't bark. She made very quiet woofing noises. He said he had no choice, cuz she would bark all day & the neighbors complained. He loved the dog..... didn't want to get rid of her.

We have a barker. We tried the bark collar. Worked for a while...then she found she could howl & not set it off. A cocker spaniel that sounds like a beagle!
She still barks at everything, but at least now she shuts up after a few minutes ..(and a couple of smacks in the head........
) KIDDING! Just have to yell at her a few times.

On one hand it seems mean, on the other..I don't want to hear a dog barking 24/7. Had that experience once here. Drove me nuts!!!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I simply don't agree with it.

I agree that you can train a dog not too, I have heard the shock collars work good. I say that because so far I have not had a problem training a dog not to bark.

But...to each his/her own....

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
ditto the shock collar-they work, not sure if you have to leave them on for ever-they also make automatic sprinklers for out side-I think they also make a noise maker that only the dog can hear-it goes off when they bark.........gee if only i could do that when crabs barks....hhmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
oh, I assume debarking means surgery or some method of medically making it so the dog can't bark?

no way. I wouldn't dream of doing that.
(and I have a couple loud and crazy dogs)

shock collar helps.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Growing up we had a Westie that was "de-barked". It had it's vocial cords removed by a previous owner who lived in a apt. It still barked but was much much quieter (not that I ever heard him bark before we lost his cords) Anway it didn't seem to bother the dog at all. Kinda like getting the tail sniped, or "manhood" chopped.

·
Registered
228 Posts
NO NO NO I own a pom ,there barkers ...When I come home she lets me know .HI I"M HAPPY TO SEE YOU .She will not stop In till I Say hi to her ....DON"T DO IT ......YOUR GOING TO MISS OUT >>>>>

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Unfortunately, some dogs can NOT be trained not to bark. In that case, if they are a nuiscance to neighbors, there may be no other option. If you are gone all day (or night) & they disturb other ppl, thats just not right.

I would never put an animal thru unneccessary surgury. (our cats have their claws, never needed to declaw) but sometimes for their benefit and that of your neighbors.. you have to do what you have to do.

As for the shock collar, yes they work as long as the dog wears it. But , those give a VERY painful shock! Our neighbor tried our dogs collar (goofy guy!) just to see what see was experiencing... he FLEW off the chair.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I dog without vocal cords can still bark....it's just no loud. I would bet that the dog does not even know the diffrence.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ May 21 2004, 10:39 PM)I dog without vocal cords can still bark....it's just no loud. I would bet that the dog does not even know the diffrence.
The dog I met that had that done didn't know she couldn't bark. You are right. They still make noise, just not loud. There are times I could perform that surgury on Janie with my bare hands!!
It gets annoying!

But I love her.......................

In her case, that surgury would have been a good thing. Right Puppetshow?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I felt bad enough declawing my cats.................that's only because of monetary damage they were doing to my things. De-barking a dog is WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can train any dog not to bark, it's just a matter of patience and time!

Get yourself a Dingo..........they don't bark.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
wonder if i could get my fish definned? he swims around way too much. sometimes he even splashes water on my wall. think of the drywall damage...

if you don't want the bark, don't have a dog...

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Absolutely not!!!
We have 2 Yorkies and they bark and we tell them at times to be quiet.. But, when they want something they come up to you and let out a little bark to let you know of their needs. Also, when they hear anything outside or see someone they bark to let you know something or someone is on our property... Please don't ever do that to your pet... It's just not right.... Just my .02 cents worth...

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Apparently, dogs don't know the difference, and they still bark, just somewhat what muffled.... emotionally they are not affected what so ever..the surgery isn't anymore invasive the spaying or neutering from what I've read. AKC - stand behind the surgery when necessary.

however, this isn't an option I'd take lighty... its just an option I'd use as a very last resort after every other effort has been exhausted.. and after reading up on it, don't find it nearly as cruel as I thought was.. before I read up on it.

If it comes down to two choices - if his barking doesn't stop - Animal control will take the dog away because the neighbour has called on us and a full out verbal war occured the other night, that nearly went physical... or 2. softening Moby's bark because nothing else works... then I'd take the later.

His barking is incessive and piercing and constant - and its driving the neighbours insane and honestly I don't blame them for being annoyed. Our other dog barks, like a normal dog would - when necessary, when in need - just not all the time and I don't mind at all! nor do I mind the digging of holes and everything else that goes along with owning a dog - .... we're not cruel animal owners.. just almost at our wits end.

p.s ... the citronella spray collar seems to have subdued his barking... for now..

·
Registered
228 Posts
I guess If it meant on getting rid of the dog I would get surgery done to. Mean time I would get my neighbors debarked to. lol. Some people always need something to complain. Good Luck with your decision!!

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Thats just wrong...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts