Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year when we brought our boat out the drive was covered with small zebra mussells. They were in every nook and cranny of the outdrive. I'm hoping I got them all, but has anyone ever mechanical problems happen, caused by these things? Should I be concerned and do a more thorough check?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just curious, where did you keep your boat last summer? I've been talking to a lot of the boat owners I work with, and depending where your boat is, you may or may not have a lot of the zebra mussel traffic. I was also warned about the muskrats and the fact that they like to chew on the rubber boots. One of the guys here is a certified marine mechanic and said that they notice a lot of little teeth marks on the boots.

·
12,052 Posts
I get a few on the top side of my trim tabs every year. A putty knife takes care of that.
Dont really see them anywhere else.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Talked to one of my friends and he said watch the water intake(s) and pathway(s). The exhaust isn't a factor hot water work for us there. I haven't seen it but he says he has so.....???

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check the water intakes, I really don't need these little SOBs screwing things up.

I kept the boat at Lac St. Clair Marina (11 Mile & Jefferson) in St. Clair Shores last year. The year before (and this coming year also) I kept her in Algonac and didn't notice any. Go figure.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We've never had a problem with the zebra mussells at either Compass Point in Fair Haven or at SCYC on Harsens. There was one boater at Compass Point that always seemed to have problems with the muscrats though. He had a Four Winns with the Volvo outdrive. They ate the rubber boot. I've never really looked at the Volvo outdrive so I don't know what it is they are able to get to. I can't picture them being able to get at the bellows, especially on a Merc outdrive. Its all internal. Thats the only rubber I can think of on a Merc. Volvo must do something different.

G

·
I've heard of them getting to the bellows before. The best way to avoid it is to keep your drive trimmed down at the dock. When it's raised is when they can get to the bellows.

·
12,052 Posts
Now that you mention it I did see a few in my strainers last year. Especially the one for my A/C that runs all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts