Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I've been having trouble with one engine running hot. Started the last ride of last season so I couldn't really dig into until this year. The boat has 454's with Bravo III outdrives.

Checked the usual suspects - sea pump impeller is fine (new last year but I inspecteded it anyway)and tried a new thermostat, no difference. Back flushed the water line from the sea pump to the engine which pases through the oil cooler and a bunch of crap came out including about 100 little zebra mussel shells.

Progress - or so I thought. The motor was back to normal while idling at the dock but when we went out last weekend it acted up again. Tried the back flush again but nothing came out this time. The mechanic at Beacon Cove said the mussels have probably also clogged up the passage in the outdrive and the only way to clear them is to pull the outdrive off the boat.

Which means pulling the boat out of the water. Which can't be scheduled until next week because the mechanics are too busy. Which means no boating this weekend.

Anybody figured out a way to get rid of these things?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
That sucks Bob. Hope you can get it resolved fairly quickly and inexpensively. Maybe the Asian Carp and Mute Swans will eat the little bastards to extinction. If someone ever invents a zinc that repels these guys they'll make a fortune. I guess you can still spend the weekend on the boat you just can't leave the dock. Good luck.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
That sucks Bob. Hope you can get it resolved fairly quickly and inexpensively. Maybe the Asian Carp and Mute Swans will eat the little bastards to extinction. If someone ever invents a zinc that repels these guys they'll make a fortune. I guess you can still spend the weekend on the boat you just can't leave the dock. Good luck.
What he said.

Good luck guys!!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've been having trouble with one engine running hot. Started the last ride of last season so I couldn't really dig into until this year. The boat has 454's with Bravo III outdrives.

Checked the usual suspects - sea pump impeller is fine (new last year but I inspecteded it anyway)and tried a new thermostat, no difference. Back flushed the water line from the sea pump to the engine which pases through the oil cooler and a bunch of crap came out including about 100 little zebra mussel shells.

Progress - or so I thought. The motor was back to normal while idling at the dock but when we went out last weekend it acted up again. Tried the back flush again but nothing came out this time. The mechanic at Beacon Cove said the mussels have probably also clogged up the passage in the outdrive and the only way to clear them is to pull the outdrive off the boat.

Which means pulling the boat out of the water. Which can't be scheduled until next week because the mechanics are too busy. Which means no boating this weekend.

Anybody figured out a way to get rid of these things?
Can you tilt your outdrives out of the water when not in use to avoid additional infestation?

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
No way FB can tilt them out.

Hmmm... Are these issues regional around the lake, or is it that I've only heard of this issue in one area???

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
I forgot to mention the tow boat Capt said he has seen this on 3 boats already this season.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JD is also from Beacon Cove and he has been having overheating issues too. Must be a bumper crop of mussels out there.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Question for everyone:

Would insurance cover this???

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you actually damaged your engine due to overheating I think insurance will cover it. JD is going down that path right now; I'm sure he'll chime in. If it's just a matter of having to clean out the passages I bet it's not covered because it would be "maintenance".

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Question for everyone:

Would insurance cover this???
Depends. I saw on my BoatUS policy they exclude damage caused by "marine life".

Might want to check your policy.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
I'm tempted to carry a gallon or so of this and figure out a way to periodically circulate it though my engines!
That looks promising.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm tempted to carry a gallon or so of this and figure out a way to periodically circulate it though my engines!
Throw it in a five gallon bucket, drain block, and run a hose from that to some muffs, put the muffs on the drive in the water and start the boat. when empty, shut her down and let it sit.

In fact, I thought of a new idea, Why couldn't you make an adapter to fit on 4ft of hose that can be connected to the muffs to allow you to hook up a air compresser to the end of them, while the muffs are on, take off the hose inside the motor compartment that comes from the drive. Water will not bleed in cause the muffs are on, then throw some compressed air through the muffs and hope you blow that crap out. You would need two people though. Someone will have to hold the muffs in place while you blow it. (Sounds dirty) I would never miss a holiday weekend of boating unless i exhausted every avenue.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Believe me, I am trying everything possible. The problem is I can't access the outdrives in the water and it takes a hoist to lift my 14,000 pound beast out.

The hoist at Beacon Cove is booked up for launches right now, I am scheduled for next week.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Is there anything preventing stern-drive boats from using raw-water pumps just link inboards do?? Seems it would take a lot of risks out of the overheating issues and make maintenance much easier!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is there anything preventing stern-drive boats from using raw-water pumps just link inboards do?? Seems it would take a lot of risks out of the overheating issues and make maintenance much easier!
I believe Bravo drives do not have a typical I/O pump in them. the pump is usually mounted to the engine.

I was thinking about this, and what about using a small drain snake? and going really slowly so as to not damage the pickup line?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was thinking of sticking a power washer in the hose from the outdrive to see if that would knock anything loose. The snake idea is also good, I have a small snake I can try. Is there anything that could be easily damaged coming from the inside of the boat towards the outdrive?

1 - 20 of 153 Posts