Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a Clam 2000 from Bass Pro and have had nothing but problems with my zippers. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced that problem and has dealt with Clam on trying to get a replacement shanty. Any help would be appreciated !

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE(SHIMMY029 @ Jan 21 2010, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just recently purchased a Clam 2000 from Bass Pro and have had nothing but problems with my zippers. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced that problem and has dealt with Clam on trying to get a replacement shanty. Any help would be appreciated !a buddy of mine just bought a brand new one from dicks.350 bucks! it was the expedition one. from just putting it up and taking it down probably less then ten times,the inner lining on the walls that makes it dark was wearing off. i told him to take it back and he did.he got one off craigslist for less money that he likes better off craigslist.clam is junk it seems to me...at least the newer ones

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Get some of this stuff:

http://www.break-free.com/?location=/products/index.asp

Spray it on a stuck zipper and let it penetrate until it frees up.
Reapply peroidically to prevent zipper from seizing.

Most gun shops will carry it, Walmart has it in stock on occasion as well.
10 times better than WD40, and doesn't evaporate as quickly.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jan 21 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Get some of this stuff:

http://www.break-free.com/?location=/products/index.asp

Spray it on a stuck zipper and let it penetrate until it frees up.
Reapply peroidically to prevent zipper from seizing.

Most gun shops will carry it, Walmart has it in stock on occasion as well.
10 times better than WD40, and doesn't evaporate as quickly.
Or go buy a shappell. Much better product and made in michigan. Just my opinion no need for the clam owners to get there pearls in a bunch. LOL

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Have any of you ever heard of lubricating a zipper with parafin wax? It works great, just rub the wax on the closed/engaged zipper then hit it with a hair dryer to melt the wax in, while the zipper is still hot from the hair dryer rub it with wax for a little extra protection, then operate the zipper several times to make sure it moves freely. This will keep the zipper working freely and protected from moisture. BTW, words of advice if any of you are using WD40 on your firearms...STOP. It contains Silicon, which is nothing more than sand and is murder on any moving parts in your reciever and action. Look into Gibbs, this stuff is the best for your firearms, it's used by law enforcement and the military.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Clam's quality seems to be really be going downhill the last few years. I've been reading a lot of complaints about their products especially the new line for this year. Just like every other corporation, they're looking to save a buck at the expense of quality. Let's hope they can fix this problem or they're going to be hurting. Their equipment is expensive because they have a reputable name, but that may not be true in a year or two. I love my Fish Trap Pro, but it's a few years old. The new ones just look and feel cheap. The reviews seem to prove it.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I have an older shappell s3000 and absolutely love it. I will never go to another company than shappell. I haven't had any issues other than the bungie that holds the poles together and I fixed that in like five minute. Installed heavier new bungies and it works great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE(waterfordmatt @ Jan 21 2010, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes I had problems. you have to take it inside and let it dry out. they probably froze up on you. mine kept freezing and I was almost stuck inside the thing.

that f'in funny the same thing happend to me.
i used my heater to free me. bring it in over night put a fan in it. hope that fixes it for you.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I know clam sold out 2 years ago and ever since all I've heard is complaints about the quality. Also Gander mtn is putting there name on them so they have probably become cheaper unfortunately

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(BobFecal @ Jan 22 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>a common problem with zippers is that condisation forms a little layer of ice that does not allow the teeth to mesh properly making it a bit(= to open/close

That's why I say to try wax. It lubricates and is Hydrophobic(repels water).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts